Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 03-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Moving large files between cPanel accounts

I have really good download speed from my ISP but they all seem to limit the upload speeds. I usually create sites on a "test" domain first or move the actual site to a test domain if I am doing a major software upgrade just to be sure all works as it should before upgrading a live site.

So I can download a large site backup fairly quickly but then when I need to upload the backup to another domain it can take quite a while because of the upload restrictions.

Not really a big deal, but is there another quicker way to move files between accounts? All the accounts will be in my main reseller hosting account at hostgator so wondering if there is a way to move files in cpanel or whm when I may only want to move 1 large zip file?

Are there programs that will move files between cpanel or any hosting accounts that would be faster than downloading & then uploading to a new domain?

thx!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

You can use an FTP. Just download the files you want to transfer onto your hard drive then use the FTP client to upload those select files. This saves you time by no moving all files but only the ones you want.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 PM

If you're using Linux hosting and have shell access, you can use the "wget" command. I don't know if Hostgator allows shell access. On Bluehost, where I'm hosted, it takes a few steps to get but it is available. I use puTTY, a free program, for my shell access.

http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl1_wget.htm

http://www.putty.org/

Using "wget" will do the transfer completely on the server without any need to download to your local machine and upload back up to the server.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Bob, thats what I was looking for. I have used puTTY and Hostgator does provide shell access but I think its only if requested.

@simplyamazing12 I don't want to use ftp because as I mentioned, my ISPs in my area limit upload speeds. So while it may take only a minute or two to download a huge backup file it can take an hour to upload because of restrictions.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualgeorge View Post
Thanks Bob, thats what I was looking for. I have used puTTY and Hostgator does provide shell access but I think its only if requested.
That's the way Bluehost handles shell access as well. I had to send a digital photo of my driver's license (or a fax copy) to get it enabled.

Shell access isn't something that Bluehost wants to grant to everybody on their servers. Adding a level of inconvenience keeps people who want shell access just "because they might need it someday" from having it while users with a real need can still get it.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby