Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 06-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Why Developers Are Such Cheap Bastards

Before you post your 2 cents on this topic, please read the blog post.

Quote:
You develop software for a living. Why are you such a cheap bastard?

We’re not talking about your personal spending habits. If you are any good at what you do, you probably make a fair amount of money and spend it on whatever catches your fancy.

We’re talking about the tools you use to do your job. Developers expect, no, demand free tools and services to do their jobs. Whether it is analytic services, integrated development environments (IDEs), application programming interfaces (APIs) or software developer kits (SDKs), developers almost always refuse to pay for the tools they use to do their jobs. Many developers would rather...
Continued at: http://readwrite.com/2013/06/03/why-...cheap-bastards

Thoughts on the blog post anyone?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 02:13 AM
Contributing Member

The whole article seems to revolve around this

Quote:
configure or build their own tools.
"Configure" is straight-forward, but "build"?

What the hell does he mean with "build"? Does he mean that a developer builds their own text-editor, with syntax highlighting and whatnot?

This article also makes it seem that a developer, when starting a new project, always has to use new tools. Seems quite .... idiotic

So - Let's assume that I am an App developer. I use a free IDE (Eclipse) - there exist packages that work "out-of-the-box" and need almost no configuration time, but for sake of the article, let's say that I need 10 hours to configure it.

Good, my tools are configured, I can start working. Some time later, the app is finished, and now I need to write another one.

Oh wonder - I can start directly, without the need to configure anything (because I already configured it). I might need to tweak a few things, but I would have to do that with paid software.

Granted: I spent some time configuring, but you ALWAYS have to do some configuring. No matter how "good" or "it works out-of-the-box" - there is always configuring and tweaking to do.

The next thing - Paid is not always better. There are many proprietary software suits, marketed for "the professional", which give you no benefit whatsoever.

Another thing - Do me a favour and search for "Best JAVA IDE" or "Best c++ IDE".

I bet you'll find Eclipse or NetBeans (which are free).

Bottom line: Developers are Cheap Bastards, because the best tools available simply are free.

Last edited by GMF; 06-04-2013 at 02:16 AM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby