Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 07-04-2015, 12:24 AM
Administrator

9 reasons you should never use a CMS

There is some heated discussion in the comments of this article: 9 reasons you should never use a CMS

Quote:
...it is time that we stopped promoting it as a way for clients to manage their own sites, because in reality, you’re going to be doing the managing for them (for free).

And honestly, how often do most clients need to update their website?
I happen to agree with all 9 reasons the author gave as to why using a CMS is a bad idea for owner maintained websites (not blogs).

After reading the article, what are your thoughts of this?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

That is a really nice article that should be required reading. Tells it like it really is.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:58 AM
Banned

I read your article nicely written. But I am little confuse about to use CMS. Which will you recommend?

Old 07-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

#1 begets #2

#2 - good idea to beef up the squinty print.

#3 - yep, as almost everything in life does.

#4 - whether a small site or, or 100 pages if a client wants the CMS, the curve is pretty much the same, IMO.

#5 - I'd have to direct that question to kgun, as he's the expert on the semantic web.

#6 - hmmm. Not sure about this. I'd say tasks are generally easier - for the client and I guess me too, to some degree.

#7 - can anyone tell what part of the CMS is present in the displayed that create the bloat?

#8 - I only know WordPress, which is not that hard to tweak for me, but perhaps the client, yes. I can't speak to any other CMS products.

#9 - I make it perfectly clear at the outset (verbally and in writing), if they break anything, it's a payable "extra" to be fixed.

Aside - great article HTML!

Last edited by LMD; 07-04-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Interesting article. And what do you recommend to use instead?

Old 07-05-2015, 03:21 AM
Contributing Member

An interesting article, today is hard not to use a CMS they are part of our lives.
I think it is ok to use a CMS than a poorly written code and insecure ...

Old 07-05-2015, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydee View Post
Interesting article. And what do you recommend to use instead?
It is possible to incorporate an editor for just the content of the pages w/o using a full CMS but as pointed out in the article the customer can still botch it up with oversized images, inserting stuff incorrectly and undoing the SEO you did for them in the original content.

It would be better to get them to understand that their site generally wouldn't need major updating (a website, not a blog) without it sounding like you are saying this for a money grab.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
It is possible to incorporate an editor for just the content of the pages w/o using a full CMS but as pointed out in the article the customer can still botch it up with oversized images, inserting stuff incorrectly and undoing the SEO you did for them in the original content.

It would be better to get them to understand that their site generally wouldn't need major updating (a website, not a blog) without it sounding like you are saying this for a money grab.
Thank you for answering me

Old 08-01-2015, 03:38 AM
Contributing Member

A lot of logical reasons, I recommend to everyone to read it

Old 08-03-2015, 04:36 AM

I'm really hesitant to use Wordpress for anything serious because of the security-vulnerability-of-the-week.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

For a basic small-business website, static HTML is better than using a CMS like WordPress or Joomla. However, everyone has or wants a blog on their site these days and it isn't realistic to avoid using a CMS in most cases. I am a full-time freelance web developer and almost every client demands a CMS.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

i agree. teaching them to understand the basic ideas of a website is hard enough, let alone a CMS where they could easily mess everything up if not careful.

CMS gives greater chance of issues. keep it simple and use a static site design.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imadam View Post
CMS gives greater chance of issues. keep it simple and use a static site design.
Yes, there can be issues, even when a client is adamant about taking on the task of updating the site themselves using a CMS, but I at least try to deter their thinking on this at least once. At this time, only a handful of my clients want this level of autonomy with respect to updating their sites. That said, when they persist and still want this access, this is what I do;

I make it perfectly clear from the outset, if that's what they want, they'll get a few CP "basics" from me, but I also direct them to search out online tutorials, or find and purchase something like a "dummies"-style design book.

Before handing over the keys, I also get in writing that any needs from their end, be it changes, revisions, updates, fixes needed, whether made by them by accident or in error the day I hand the site over to them (unless it's a bug/fix needed from the original install), it's all chargeable and give them my hourly rate.

Last edited by LMD; 08-08-2015 at 10:13 AM.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Read the article and it was partially true, but the best approach is still to have a CMS. People just need to learn how to tell a client that stuff isn't free, like edits.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:57 AM

Interesting read.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

The Forum on which you have posted this message is powered by CMS vBulletin. CMS is an important part of web development.

If you have few pages i.e 4-10 Pages then Static Site is good idea. If you have any hint that your pages can grow in future, you must always go with a CMS powered site.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:25 AM

Cool Very interesting point of view. But i would have to disagree.

Very interesting point of view. But i would have to disagree.

I am not going to layout the never ending benefits of CMS here, but i will point out it's major benefit to the internet.

CMS trend has progressed and elevated the internet in so many ways, for the most part it revolutionized web design visually and interactively. And as a matter of fact, CMS opened new opportunities for web designers to excel, such as for theme designer and developers. The internet is becoming much better looking these days, and this means more internet users and which also mean more work for us web designers.

We need to outweigh the benefits here, should we keep customers totally dependent on us, or should we let them worry about the small stuff so we could focus on the bigger stuff which they will always need us for.

Well that is my opinion at least.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_marketing_india View Post
If you have few pages i.e 4-10 Pages then Static Site is good idea. If you have any hint that your pages can grow in future, you must always go with a CMS powered site.
I have a number of sites that are static which have more than 10 pages. A couple of them are maintained by a novice person.

I hate updating the CMS sites. Limited in what you can do. Bound by the programmer's thinking which can be not so SE friendly.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

People who could customize a CMS could easily use it and many websites are created through it across the world nowadays.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Our site was built on WordPress. It was used because it is easy. It does come with a lot of bloat. I actually do know what I am doing so am able to mange the site, but as it was delivered, there is no way a novice really could.

No matter the size of the client, if they want the keys, they have to be held responsible for any damage. And like the author of the article, if they ruined my beautiful site, I would just take it out of my portfolio or start a 2nd portfolio and show before and after shots. :O)

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Closed Thread