Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 11-24-2016, 01:42 AM
Contributing Member

Post 4 Reasons of why Wordpress is killing web design?

Hello there.

This is my short article....personal thoughts, feel free to comment.

Why WordPress is killing web design?

WordPress is a great platform, great CMS and amazing beast for websites. It contain many plugins, themes and tools, but why I think this is literally killing web design business?

1. Less work opportunities for web freelancers

Think as a greedy employer. You need an online presence, you have studied a lot of tutorials on youtube, bought book about web design but you don't see yourself as a webmaster. What you do?
A. Hire Freelance guy who will create website with CMS for 1000 bucks.
B. Hire web design agency who will create same website, with same CMS for 5000 bucks.
C. Find free CMS WYSIWYG and pay only for theme, you know the basic movements of mouse ye?.
Probably if you are greedy and (no offence) stupid, will choose option C. You won't get nothing but you will be thinking that this is it because you don't need seo or even good looking website. You have own business card and address on it, thats it.

See how this is killing web business? I've met a lot of these guys like type above, we still have people who thinks that internet is only for black and red typography. (ugh)

2. No option and fun of learning HTML & CSS

There is no fun of learning html and css while working on WordPress. I know you have custom CSS but people are usually lazy and want see "drop'n'down effects" so they won't bother digging the code.

3. Unnecessary plugins like YOAST

YOAST for example, seems like very powerful tool - you have site preview, keyword checker and other options, however in fact it's nothing else more but just a dynamic version of static meta tags - headings etc. Want more examples? - any speeding - compressing plugins for website speed you can achieve by using gzip - cdn or image compression.

4. Paid themes and plugins

Worst thing about WordPress is that you have to spend money for theme that you could build from scratch. For free.

Do you have any other reasons why WordPress is killing web design ?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2016, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

WP isn't killing anything - it has opened up a whole new world for us, for which I'm very thankful.

Aside: while your content is interesting, it lacks in sentence structure and grammar. I suggest you hire a content editor before you send it anywhere.

2 cents.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:38 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
WP isn't killing anything - it has opened up a whole new world for us, for which I'm very thankful.

Aside: while your content is interesting, it lacks in sentence structure and grammar. I suggest you hire a content editor before you send it anywhere.

2 cents.
Hey there, thank you for feedback.

Do you know any good grammar tutorials for writing ?

Old 12-01-2016, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

Nope. I hire content editors. Try searching in Google.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:58 PM

Ya I completely disagree with your observations. Reasons:

1. Less work opportunities for web freelancers. False. A good amount of the jobs on freelance sites like Upwork are for Wordpress edits...

2. No option and fun of learning HTML & CSS. False. Wordpress is a gateway to coding. Many people that would not have dove into HTML or CSS from scratch end up learning HTML/CSS out of necessity when they want to make small edits on their blogs.

3. Unnecessary plugins like YOAST. Many plugins are powerful and helpful. This is one of the major advantages of Wordpress.

4. Paid themes and plugins. Why shouldn't developers be paid for their work? There are countless robust Wordpress themes out there that won't cost you a dime.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattey3023 View Post

1. Less work opportunities for web freelancers. False. A good amount of the jobs on freelance sites like Upwork are for Wordpress edits...

2. No option and fun of learning HTML & CSS. False. Wordpress is a gateway to coding. Many people that would not have dove into HTML or CSS from scratch end up learning HTML/CSS out of necessity when they want to make small edits on their blogs.

3. Unnecessary plugins like YOAST. Many plugins are powerful and helpful. This is one of the major advantages of Wordpress.

4. Paid themes and plugins. Why shouldn't developers be paid for their work? There are countless robust Wordpress themes out there that won't cost you a dime.
Nicely put, and I agree.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:25 PM

there is lots of works in wordpress , I disagree about ur post

But you should build another cms better than wordpress which will open another window for freelancers

Old 12-05-2016, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattey3023 View Post

1.Kind of, lets put it on 50/50.
3.YOAST is the same plugin like editing meta tags, headings, description etc except the content changes dynamically.
4.Ye but why you should pay for example super slider if you can make it for completely free with little css and html knowledge ? (+/- jquery).

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby