Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 04-22-2017, 12:34 PM

Post Web design business launching

Hi everybody!

I need your advises! I'am a web designer from ukraine. I was very busy in my country, I did hundreds designs and didn't have problems with new orders etc. But unfortunately there is a war in my country and everything crashed. People has no money and a lot of crime... So I had to move to different country..and I moved into USA.

But the problem is that it is absolutely different market. I did a research about local web design companies and actually from all companies maybe 4-5 can make designs on my or higher level. And I also find a lot of companies with the '****ty' design but with a lot of works / customers... How do they do this ?! I'am not a beginner I can make a professional web design higher quality a lot cheaper then other companies. But I have no idea how to sell my web design..where they find new orders etc... Can u give me please some advises I can use ?! Thank you very much!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2017, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Word of mouth is one way people get business. Say someone just designed me a custom theme and if I am super happy with it and the service provided, I will always recommend that person to people who are looking for custom designs. That's one way how folks do that.

On webmaster forums start lurking in there marketplace taking small design jobs just to build yourself up as a good designer and eventually you might land a huge project that costs more money.

I am not a designer but just giving a few tips. Let's wait for someone with experience in setting up a new business in a new country.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:57 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Word of mouth is one way people get business. Say someone just designed me a custom theme and if I am super happy with it and the service provided, I will always recommend that person to people who are looking for custom designs. That's one way how folks do that.

On webmaster forums start lurking in there marketplace taking small design jobs just to build yourself up as a good designer and eventually you might land a huge project that costs more money.

I am not a designer but just giving a few tips. Let's wait for someone with experience in setting up a new business in a new country.
agree with you, also i think local classifieds will help you

Old 04-24-2017, 08:54 AM

Thank you guys for the help. Follows your advises, can u help me please with the forums ?! Can you give me please some links of the active forums where i can create a topic with my services. Thank you!

Old 04-24-2017, 09:48 AM

If I were you I would try building a portfolio website first. Then put up ads on your local classified ad site.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:57 AM

I have a website. I added it to Yelp.com and post a lot of times on the CraigList and local Facebook (vk.com) groups...but for all time - nothing.

I found at least 30 small local companies with old websites (which really needs a renovation) or with no websites at all. I think to walk in and have a conversation with the owner. But one thing which stops me is that I am not sure about my nationality and my English. How will they treat a person from another country etc even I have pretty good portfolio and can provide a really high service.

What do you think about this ?!

Old 04-24-2017, 10:00 AM

This is a good idea, but you're right English being a 2nd language could hold you back a bit. I suggest trying to get someone to go into these stores who speaks english as a first language on your behalf.

If you don't want to approach directly you could design some flyers and print out some copies and drop them off these local businesses. You can even run a special saying you have a special rate for first time customers that already have a website but need it revamped.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:14 AM

You know... I have a good offer..and maybe I am not a fluent English speaker but I am fluent in the services i provided. I can explain and describe what I am doing etc. So I Can describe my services and the offer to the potential customer with no problem.

I have a few people who speak fluently. But they also look European and have an accent. and the main issue - they have no idea about web design and they can't answer on the possible customer questions. So... it's no make sense in their help because I can do almost the same.

What about you ?! Let's imagine that you are a local business owner and the foreign guy offers you some services... What will be your first impressions...will you 'trust' to me?

Old 04-24-2017, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandrS View Post
I found at least 30 small local companies with old websites (which really needs a renovation) or with no websites at all. I think to walk in and have a conversation with the owner.
Just "walking in" to a business might get you a few words with the owners, but more than likely, you will not be fortunate and be politely shown the door. That, however, shouldn't stop you from trying.

You could also try contacting them by email, but your email must be grammatically correct, along with spelling and verbiage "tenses" must also be perfect. It should contain some valuable info - but not enough for them to run with. Just don't try to push a sale. All you want is to do, is set up a meeting with them - right?

Quote:
But one thing which stops me is that I am not sure about my nationality and my English. How will they treat a person from another country etc even I have pretty good portfolio and can provide a really high service.
What is your English like? Are you in the Ukraine now, or in Florida? If your English speaking is good, you could always hire a content writer to ensure the verbiage is correct for the web page content, and you could worry about the design and development parts of the process.

If you are currently residing in Florida, you might want to look around for a local BNI group to attend, and then join in either Hollywood or Lauderdale - maybe even Miami.

In fact, a simple search finds two chapters in Hollywood, and from the look of it, there is no web developer in either. One has 42 members and the other (looks new) has 13.

Word-of-mouth marketing would be your fastest way to get new business. It works - I know this first-hand. l

Last edited by LMD; 04-24-2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: add

Old 04-24-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
"What is your English like? Are you in the Ukraine now, or in Florida?"
I speak well, but understand almost everything. But with the accent.

Quote:
" local BNI group to attend"
Thank you! This is very useful info! Have never heard about this!

Quote:
"Word-of-mouth marketing would be your fastest way to get new business."
Yeah, I know. But the main problem is just to get your first order.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
On webmaster forums
Can u please give me some active forums links ? Thanks!

Old 04-24-2017, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I speak well, but understand almost everything. But with the accent.
Then you will be fine. All you need is a good content writer to help you with web page content.

Quote:
Thank you! This is very useful info! Have never heard about this!
BNI is all over the world.

Quote:
Yeah, I know. But the main problem is just to get your first order.
Yes, but that is what BNI is all about - making connections with your fellow members. They are all part of your "Sales team" and when you make connections with them, they'll look out for business leads for you. It's the "givers gain" philosophy. I've been a member for about 10 years (maybe longer if I think about it) and get at least 35% (if not more) of my business from the group. The bigger the chapter, the more money you will make.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
And I also find a lot of companies with the '****ty' design but with a lot of works / customers... How do they do this ?! I'am not a beginner I can make a professional web design higher quality a lot cheaper then other companies. But I have no idea how to sell my web design..where they find new orders etc... Can u give me please some advises I can use ?! Thank you very much!
Web design and development can be a very price sensitive market. Given a choice between an expensive custom designed site and a theme based Wordpress site, people often choose the latter! Many businesses make do with bad sites because it gets the job done for them!

What you need to be is flexible in your approach. If people are looking for a Honda, don't try selling them a Mercedes. Give a custom quote to each potential client rather than having a standard set of rates and don't hesitate to pick up some less paid work for less effort. You need to get started somehow after all.

Also don't restrict yourself to local work. Make yourself available on upwork.com, freelancer.com etc. Work is work, regardless of where it comes from.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
some less paid work for less effort.
Can u tell about price range ?! What is a small price for creating a professional wp design ?! Is 500-700$ good for this work ?! (in my country it's pretty good. But people's average salary is around 100$/month. Here people make at least 2k+..and I'm not speaking about business owners). Thanks

Old 06-02-2017, 03:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hi everybody!

And I also find a lot of companies with the '****ty' design but with a lot of works / customers... How do they do this ?
They get lot of work due to their hard work for years there, they have built their client base working for years. You are new and it will take time to create an impact so keep trying.

Regarding language, you can find someone who is fluent in English and tell him to get you clients he take 30% and you take rest, this can help you to make some clients.

Also you can work for someone and learn how actually they attract customers, as you already said many people who are not as good as you are so getting a job will be no issue for you.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

4p's of marketing model works for any business.
4 p's stand for Product,Price,Promotion,Place (Distribution of product/service).
From you post, I can makeout that you are confident about the Product and pricing. Place(Distribution) is not a concern in this case. So what you lack is Promotion.
Now, you many need to go through the 360 degree integrated marketing communication approach. Try all feasible ways to get your brand name and services promoted.

Sharing few things you can do :
a) Meet known peeople personally and share your offerings. Next time when they or anyone in their network need such services, they may remember you and call.
b)Make email database of known people. Regularly send them special offers/greetings on festivals so that you are not skipped out of their mind.
(c) Attend variety of events taking place in your city/town to connect with people from various walks of life. Building new contacts will be very helpful to get connected with the target audience which was out of your reach earlier.
(d) Tie up with graphic designers who are only into graphic designing. Give them some motivation to recommend you to their client.
(e) Be volunteer to offer free website designing for some not for profit event or initiative in your area. This will help two ways. You will get to meet new people who will remember you not a person you are but what you do professional as you were in because of your skills. The other benefit is that you will have one more website in portfolio to show to the world.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Closed Thread