Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 01-09-2018, 03:14 AM

Customer retention or usability?

Hello everyone,

All the time working with websites I was wondering:
What is more preferable, customer retention or usability?

There is a hack, that some sellers, in order to keep customer on the website as long as possible and make him go through more pages - building a very inconvenient sitemap: hiding price for products and services or even removing them at all (to make client calling or writing in live chat), placing an important info such as characteristics or tariffs in the footer of website, etc.

Being a client I really hate this, when I cannot find my member’s panel, quickly check the price, see characteristics of product/service. As far as I am working in this area, I should be more experienced in how to find a specific info, but I am still convinced to uselessly walk through tons of pages.

Being a seller I am still sure that unsatisfied customer will be less motivated to buy my product after such complicated way to find info. On the other hand, some people believe that customer will regret spending too much time looking for info and will buy product just to compensate his time costs.

What do you think?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2018, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihost View Post
All the time working with websites I was wondering: What is more preferable, customer retention or usability?
There's no either/or - it's both. And taking it one step further, usability will enhance customer retention. But, I'm not sure if you mean keeping the user on the site longer, or keeping them as customers in the future.

Quote:
Being a client I really hate this, when I cannot find my memberís panel, quickly check the price, see characteristics of product/service. As far as I am working in this area, I should be more experienced in how to find a specific info, but I am still convinced to uselessly walk through tons of pages.
If I'm looking for specs, details on warrantee, reviews etc, if I can't find at least the first two on a site, I'll leave.

If I'm looking for price comparisons, and can't find pricing, I'll leave

Quote:
Being a seller I am still sure that unsatisfied customer will be less motivated to buy my product after such complicated way to find info. On the other hand, some people believe that customer will regret spending too much time looking for info and will buy product just to compensate his time costs.
I'm not completely sure what you are saying here, but if you don't give the visitor enough info and pricing when they're looking for a product to buy, they'll probably just leave. I know I would.

On your last point, I'd say no one will just buy something because they've spent too much time on a site. That makes no sense at all. The person that thinks that way would be the easiest "sell" in the world, and I wish you'd send them my way.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:

On the other hand, some people believe that customer will regret spending too much time looking for info and will buy product just to compensate his time costs.
Its not true. If somebody has spent much time in a site that doestn't mean that he or she will end up buying just to save time without looking into the product info.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
But, I'm not sure if you mean keeping the user on the site longer, or keeping them as customers in the future.
Yes, I meant to keep them on the website and make customers read more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
I'm not completely sure what you are saying here, but if you don't give the visitor enough info and pricing when they're looking for a product to buy, they'll probably just leave. I know I would.
I have been working in a medium-seized company, which sells pretty expensive services and they have decided to remove price at all from their website, so visitors had to call, or use live chat (where they still couldn't get a price) or schedule a call.
The idea was, that our representative should sell them the product explaining why do they need it and why is it so expensive, how the price was build, etc.
But I agree that it looks weird and dishonest in relation to customers

Old 01-10-2018, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Yes, I meant to keep them on the website and make customers read more info

The idea was, that our representative should sell them the product explaining why do they need it and why is it so expensive, how the price was build, etc.
Here's what I'd do. If I'm searching out a product I'm interested in, and found your site, I'd might possibly look around for features, benefits, specs etc. But, I most likely wouldn't call, or email for a quote etc. I'd just move on to sites that would show a price so I can finish my research - then, I'd figure out which site or store to buy it from.

Quote:
But I agree that it looks weird and dishonest in relation to customers
Not really weird or dishonest - I'd say "withholding" is a better term. I've seen that more than once on the internet, and that's enough to make me look elsewhere.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:30 AM

So the main problem is that the product could be good itself, but customer will never know about it because of not reading the info or simply disliking the sitemap or "withholding" effect.
It looks to me that in different niches the strategy may differ significantly.. for ex: for cheap products or services it is simply not efficient to hide the price and manipulate with navigation

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby