Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 05-06-2018, 01:42 AM

Looking for best CMS/framework/? for my site

(For those who've read my intro, this isn't for a school project, and as of today I'm on an indefinite college hiatus due to an upcoming move.)

For the sake of this post, I'll say the website is about Korean restaurants in the United States. (It's not about food at all,, but I don't want to give away my niche right now.)

Right now, for a college project, I've built the 10 main pages of the site in HTML, CSS, and a tiny bit of JS. So I know what I want it to look like, and I know what I want the content to be, but it's a huge undertaking and in the interest of the site being live sooner, I'd really like to find a CMS? solution to streamline parts of it.

Key sections:

News - I would like to be able to share articles and a small blurb (similar to a FB share, so I avoid any copyright issues), preferably from a phone

Blog (with the ability for users to comment, and to schedule posts in advance and have them post automatically preferably)

City/State pages - This is where I really need help. I want to have a page for each of the 50 states and within each page, I plan to list 25-50 cities. I want users to be able to submit "restaurants" and info about the restaurants on a form. Then I want to be able to review submissions, make edits as needed (such as spelling, capitalization, etc), and then approve them to be live on the site...in the city's sub-section. The cities are listed at the top and users jump down to their section of the page with a link. IDEALLY, I would be able to review, edit, and post submissions from my phone.

Shopping - similar to the City/State pages, users could submit links sites that sell "restaurant" memorabilia, and I want to be able to review, test the link for safety, and post, again from a phone if at all possible.

There are, of course, other sections to the site such as FAQs, a contact page, etc, but I feel like those will be relatively easy with any CMS or framework.

Any advice on the best way to accomplish this in the shortest amount of time? (To give an idea, I had to do one state for the purpose of the assignment, I have about 20 hours work in that one page and only have maybe 10% of the content done. If users could add some of the content, it would go much more quickly. My ideal scenario would be to generate or make the 50 state pages, put the cities on them, and then allow users to submit the restaurants and populate that information.)

Hope this made some sort of sense and I greatly appreciate any advice.
Lyr

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2018, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Seems you are looking for a quick completion of your website, then you need build WordPress Content Management System on your own by learning basic skills like how to build themes, customization, finding the suitable free plugins with good reputation and Many number of active downloads. And you will have huge community support when you select this CMS.

We have Joomla, another best cms platform, which is easy to build and create web pages but you should have good skills in php and MySQL.

Drupal and Magento are also open source content Management platforms.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:38 AM

WordPress is the most popular Content Management system which is easy to customize.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:50 AM
Contributing Member

If you're wanting it to done quickly WordPress is your best option, it also includes 100's of theme themes or paid themes and 1000's of plugins to integrate into your website.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby