Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Share |
Old 01-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

DMOZ - Awaiting Review

I just visited the DMOZ forum, to check that status of my suggestion.

They seem a bit, "over-extended," I guess is a good word to use. I got a relatively quick response, but it was a bit disapointing. Jim Noble notified me that the site is awaiting review.

I am not understanding why the forum is used. Every site in there has the same thing, "awaiting review".

Can anyone provide some insight on the delay of being reviewed for inclusion there?

It's been approximately one year since I originally suggested my site to DMOZ.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Most editors I know dont even mess with the sites in the que. If in fact they are even active anymore, they add sites on their own and ignore the que. Not saying it doesnt happen, but I wouldn't even bother asking. As they say, just submit it and move on.

Old 01-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, thats pretty lame. I guess you need to become an editor to list a site, for the most part.

Thanks for the reply shawn.

I did notice that the shopping classifieds category does not have an editor (assumed from what I've read). I am wondering if the has any barring on the matter too.

Old 01-01-2005, 04:29 PM

One year?

Re-submit to a more active category.

Old 01-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

I've considered that too.

But that is honostly where I think the site belongs (on the ODP).

There are other categories, but I am trying to attract end consumers now (Other end of the site).

If you don't mind, what is your advise on recognizing a, "more active," category. Manually monitor various categories?

Old 01-01-2005, 05:28 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Re-submit to a more active category.
Really bad advice. You will wait for that category editor to get to you, who will then move you to the correct category for you to wait all over again.

If you have submitted and been told at RZ that you site is waiting, then there is nothing more that you can do..... spend the time worrying about something that is more important.

Sites get listed anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 years after being submitted.

In the categories I edit, no sites wait more than 24 hours (I check in once a day) (except one which has 70 sites waiting) - most of them are rejected as not having sufficient unique content for the category. Most of the sites I add are never submitted. Using site that are submitted (they are really only suggested) is the most inefficient way for editors to find sites to build a category, which is why Shawn madeteh comment above.

Old 01-01-2005, 06:58 PM

DMOZ is a volunteer-edited directory. Anyone disappointed in delays there should apply to be an editor to help out with the situation. Editing at DMOZ is a very rewarding experience.

Old 01-01-2005, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Really bad advice.
Go on and keep waiting two years then, son. I've never waited longer than four or five months. And I have over twenty sites listed. But hey, you're obviously the "PRO" with the insider info.!

Old 01-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Banned

mjm1905, as Shawn has said, submit and move on.

A DMOZ link is about the MOST overstated link you can get. It will bring little, to no traffic and the PR gain is compatible with any other like page.

Old 01-01-2005, 10:18 PM

A link from DMOZ gives you a link from the Google Directory, and dozens of other directories on the internet.

I can share from personal experience that a link from DMOZ is one of the most powerful things you can do for your site's SEO efforts.

A DMOZ listing isn't necessary for a site's success, but there's more to backlinks than just PR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hawley
mjm1905, as Shawn has said, submit and move on.

A DMOZ link is about the MOST overstated link you can get. It will bring little, to no traffic and the PR gain is compatible with any other like page.

Old 01-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
I can share from personal experience that a link from DMOZ is one of the most powerful things you can do for your site's SEO efforts.
Please share your proof that it is "one of the most powerful things you can do for your site's SEO efforts"

From my from personal experience it's no more important than any like page. In fact, as one cannot pick good keyword anchor text it's of less value than a link from a sites page with the same PR and number of links.

Old 01-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
A link from DMOZ gives you a link from the Google Directory, and dozens of other directories on the internet.
The number is above 1000 from what I can tell. I already have over 1000 links from DMOZ and downstream users and they don't come close to 1000 links from 1000 different on-topic sites.

Do you really think Google would pass any DMOZ benefit 1000 times over????

Old 01-01-2005, 10:51 PM

From MY personal experience, it IS more important than "like" pages. Google obviously cares about what DMOZ thinks is a quality site, or Google wouldn't be using DMOZ as its directory.

And yes, you can pick good keyword anchor text for your site. DMOZ as a matter of editorial policy lists sites according to their website title, so all you have to do is exercise a bit of care when you title your site.

Quote:
Please share your proof that it is "one of the most powerful things you can do for your site's SEO efforts"

From my from personal experience it's no more important than any like page. In fact, as one cannot pick good keyword anchor text it's of less value than a link from a sites page with the same PR and number of links.

Old 01-01-2005, 10:53 PM

No, but do you really think that Google completely invalidates the benefits from all 1000 of those links? Even if they discount those links by a factor of 10, you're getting the equivalent of 100 backlinks in one fell swoop, the most important one being from the Google Directory.

Quote:
The number is above 1000 from what I can tell. I already have over 1000 links from DMOZ and downstream users and they don't come close to 1000 links from 1000 different on-topic sites.

Do you really think Google would pass any DMOZ benefit 1000 times over????

Old 01-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

I had a site (which I sold a few months ago) with only 1 inbound link, and that link was from a dmoz page with a PR of 5. The site in question got a PR of 5 with only that inbound link, which is something that Ive never seen any other single PR5 link do before.

I have never done an indepth study on this matter , but I have yet to see anywhere that a single PR5 link can gain the other site a PR of 5, just from that one link. Which leads me to believe that a link from dmoz has more weighting (either because its from dmoz, or because of the syndication of the dmoz content) then a regular link of the same PR.

Then again it could be pure coincidence, just wanted to throw some personal experience out there.

Old 01-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Banned

So you are saying that a link from DMOZ will get you the PR of the page you submit to? That kind of makes the patented and public PR equation false, which I highly doubt.

Old 01-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

Reading comprehension issues Dave?

I never stated any assertions or formulas on what would occur, I just stated 1 example of a page passing that same PR to a site. Maybe other pages pass twice the PR, or others could pass 0 PR, who knows really.

A side note Dave, you are rather gifted at making replies that are argumentative without actually using any of the content or logical path from the original post. Is this something that you have just picked up over years, or something that you went to school for?

Old 01-01-2005, 11:39 PM

I would imagine the PR had to do with the other directories powered by DMOZ. Particularly the Google Directory.

Old 01-02-2005, 01:14 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Its more like 4000

Old 01-02-2005, 04:36 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
A side note Dave, you are rather gifted at making replies that are argumentative without actually using any of the content or logical path from the original post. Is this something that you have just picked up over years, or something that you went to school for?
Ha- good one!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues