Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Share |
Old 12-28-2004, 03:28 AM

Cool WebAtlas banned from Google

LOVE IT!!!

Doug Heil (quote from ihelpyou forums)
Search in Google for pages indexed www.webatlas.org
Your search - site:www.webatlas.org - did not match any documents

Won't be long and sevenseek, bluefind, and uncoverthenet will be sharing the same pain. Oh how sweet Google justice can be when a spammer gets his just deserts!

Go out and celebrate folks! Today is a GREAT day!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2004, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member

what prove do you have to say that webatlas.org is being ban by Google ??? I can say your site is being blacklisted also ...

cannot find in Google search didnt mean anything what ??? Maybe google is doing some update !!! More backlink for them .....

Show us the prove before posting it in every webmaster forum .... I saw it every where !!!

Last edited by bb99; 12-28-2004 at 04:47 AM.

Old 12-28-2004, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by film @ 11
LOVE IT!!!

Doug Heil (quote from ihelpyou forums)

Search in Google for pages indexed www.webatlas.org
Your search - site:www.webatlas.org - did not match any documents

Won't be long and sevenseek, bluefind, and uncoverthenet will be sharing the same pain. Oh how sweet Google justice can be when a spammer gets his just deserts!

Go out and celebrate folks! Today is a GREAT day!
What drugs you on? Whatever it is isn't doing you any good.

Old 12-28-2004, 07:53 AM

This reminds me of people who love to watch reality tv in hopes that someone will fail.

If I find a reason to celebrate today, it will be because of someone's successes, not because someone got banned from a search engine. (If that's even the case here, which I'm not sure that it is.)

Old 12-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Individualist

Interesting take Doug has. He appears to think that promoting a directory makes it a bad thing; and being a regular poster on ihelpyou forums makes even the weakest directory a "must submit".

Old 12-28-2004, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnScott
Interesting take Doug has. He appears to think that promoting a directory makes it a bad thing; and being a regular poster on ihelpyou forums makes even the weakest directory a "must submit".
Lol, that thread is a joke. Most of the moderaters there are posting like they are experts, yet they contradict each other on many occasions.

Old 12-28-2004, 12:46 PM

I am a bit concerned, it could be an update, but it is also possible that it is not, we'll just have to wait and see, not like I paid $500 to be listed for any of my listings, they served their purpose.

What stinks is someone coming on here to gloat about it, that just reeks of:
#1 jealously
#2 being a punk and registering a new name, if you are a man / woman you should stand by your successes and failures, not reg a new username and make such a post.

Anyway, I really hope this is not the case, but by the looks of things it very well could be. You'd have to be an absolute idiot to think that all of this is just a coincedence, it may be temporary, but it is not accidental. If I type in bluefind, they are nowhere to be found, web atlas is gone too.

Old 12-28-2004, 12:48 PM

Quote:
What stinks is someone coming on here to gloat about it, that just reeks of:
#1 jealously
#2 being a punk and registering a new name, if you are a man / woman you should stand by your successes and failures, not reg a new username and make such a post.
Don't forget that the person is most likely unsuccessful and very unhappy.

Old 12-28-2004, 12:50 PM

Quote:
If I type in bluefind, they are nowhere to be found...
They're on the second page.

Old 12-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

88sahara, I believe bluefind and webatlas are different situations. Personally I think its a server issue/redirect issue with webatlas, and bluefind I think was something else entirely.

As for the original poster here, yes, they are a joke and most likely jealous that at. If I had a problem with someone or some site, I'll tell everyone..myself. They should do the same. My guess is that it's some skanky directory owner, who doesnt have money to spend on advertising so instead of promoting their site, they try to downgrade others.

But as for the notion that it's a directory specific thing (implying that directories are being penalized), let's just say I'm not worried in the least. A directory will get penalized for the same reason any other website will..not just cause it's a directory.

Old 12-28-2004, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

lol,

quite funny, did you guys see how those guys write? Man, this is so funny. I really like this one

Quote:
I don't follow. I think we are miscommunicating somewhere. Your values are similar to mine. I don't do a search on Google to find a worth of a directory. If the directory is ranked on anything is the last thing on my mind. The seven or so I posted have value to their actual searchers. That's the criteria I look at. Nothing else matters to me. I could care less if they rank on anything at all. Directories should never be launched for webmasters. That's a bad business model from the start. The list I posted all started with "free" submissions. Some still do the free, and some went to all paid. It's all good however as they all exist for the actual searchers, not webmasters. DMOZ exists for searchers as well as for backfills and feeds. That's all good also.

I don't see any new directories out there who are free to submit. They will never get the needed listings to become a viable directory.
those guys talk like professors, or at least they want to make us believe that they are. I just have three words for those so-called experts GO **** YOURSELF!

Old 12-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonEye
lol,

those guys talk like professors, or at least they want to make us believe that they are. I just have three words for those so-called experts GO **** YOURSELF!
That's the holiday spirit! LOL (I kind of feel the same way)

Nandini is a very smart business woman and I have no doubt she will get this worked out in a timely manner.

Old 12-28-2004, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I just have three words for those so-called experts GO **** YOURSELF!
HA HA HA!

"Your values are similar to mine"

What does that mean?

Old 12-28-2004, 02:03 PM

There are some marvelous medical procedures they have these days.

Old 12-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

that thread at ihelpyou is really a joke. I cant believe those people are mods. One of them has an seo site that is in frames.

Old 12-28-2004, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
One of them has an seo site that is in frames
It's how well it ranks that would matter. In fact, if it ranks well while using frames they likely know a lot more than most.

Also, I wouldn't dismiss what is being said about directories in general as a "joke". Quite often where's there's smoke there's fire.

It would not suprise me if Google has/is starting something to counteract the selling of PR, which is the reason many submit to directories. Let's face it, they rarely hold much click value.

Having said this, I highly doubt Google would take aim at sites that have submitted to directories. The worse case is likely we have wasted $,'s.

Old 12-29-2004, 01:09 AM
Contributing Member

I agree,

it is very probable that action will be taken. But let's make sure that we are not miscommunicating. Because I was questioning myself if that would be good for the world wide web.

With regard to the sudden drop in popularity of Pr on webatlas. I pose you the question. Is it a viable web directory?

:-D

DragonEye

Old 12-29-2004, 01:14 AM
Contributing Member

and now seriously,

I must admit that I'm worried a bit. What if google would change thing so that web directories don't pass PR anymore? I don't know if it would be possible to do that. Something is going to happen, and if you ask me it is going to happen real soon.

Maybe Google got an unpleasant new year's present up it's sleeves. Let's hope not...

I am really going to be pleased once Uncover the net get's PR. But I must admit that I am starting to wonder if it will happen.
Have John and Nandini given an explanation on why PR dropped on Webatlas and Bluefind? Because I would like to know. Please refer me to the posts that say that. I have been searching the forum myself but couldn't find anything.

If John hasn't explained it, he should do (or try) that, just to reassure possible customers of Bluefind.

DragonEye

Old 12-29-2004, 03:35 AM

Shawn wrote:

Quote:
Lol, that thread is a joke. Most of the moderaters there are posting like they are experts, yet they contradict each other on many occasions.
And that's from a guy who can't tell the difference between frames and css.

While he was trolling at IHY, he was defending "new directories" - we explained that many of the new directories were simply spam, and would offer zip return on your dollar; he continued to defend them (by this time, we knew what was happening to WebAtlas (.org. not .com). Shawn continued to defend them.

We invited shawn (http://www.uncoverthenet.com/) to tell us how his site was different, if, as he claimed, his site was so wonderful.

At that point, shawn turned adolescent and flounced out.

I would genuinely like to know the difference (if any). We've long suspected that many (not all) of the 'new directories' were simply taking money and then leaving their customers in deep ****.

It is now entirely possible that Google has started to act against such directories. So it might be worth less sneering (shawn) and more serious questions.

And if shawn can't answer, come to IHY - as shawn will tell you, we answer your questions, rather than twist, turn and troll - See For Yourself

Old 12-29-2004, 04:52 AM
Contributing Member

And now in English please...

and who is this 'we' you are talking about constantly?
If I was Shawn or John I would have sued your asses off. Who are you guys to accuse them of spamming?

I think that the longer Bluefind, Sevenseek and Uncover the net exist the better they become as a source for users to find what they seek. Every directory once was a new directory. And I must say that I have never seen the professionalism with wich both John and Shawn have started such a huge project on such short notice.

And about that money, if you got a good site that yields a lot of sponsor income, why wouldn't you use the money to promote your site and increase sponsor income even further? We search for the best way to do that. I don't know if you have surfed the net in the last ten years but PPC ads aren't doing the trick anymore exept when your name is Google or Yahoo! and those are too expensive for webmasters like me. And PPC is also a risk, and a risk that involves a lot more money. My listings in sevenseek and UTN have costed me about 80 dollars, so what? I think that money is worth the possible advantages that such a directory can give me. And so what IF (and i say IF) this is just about gaining PR? The web is changing constantly and good webmasters constantly try to make the best of the changes that are occurring.

jeezes you guys act like your are some kind of court. "We invite shawn to come and tell us..." come on, please... get a life. I think you guys just have nothing better to do than killing off other people's hard work. I think IHY is just jealous on the success that some other webmasters have.

I am normally a very polite guy that never judges other people, but this really pisses me off.

DragonEye

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues