Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Share |
Old 07-08-2010, 07:56 PM

Hi there & thanks for your response. I'm so pleased to hear about the manual and templates. Be sure to let me know when they're up & I will definitely update the info about your product on my site.

It's been more than a year since my last go at starting a directory - much too long ago to get after your staff. Also, I do appreciate that I'm not the only customer who needed support at the time. Your script has a huge and enthusiastic user base and it is clearly a good product. Many people recommend it over all others.

In my opinion, though, it's not (or at least wasn't - depends on how detailed the manual is) the best product for an utter newbie with no idea about programming.

I look forward to seeing the manual. Will the templates you referred to be compatible with the latest version, and do you plan to keep them that way? If so, I'll be sure to say that too.

Best wishes,
Kathee Muzin
DirectoryScriptReviews.com

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, there is a link to the manual in my last post (above). We have a much better system for upgrading the templates now, and its getting easier. We will NOT have 165 templates for phpLD 4.1, but we will have dozens for sure. Also, in last couple of months we have instituted a policy of upgrading publicly available templates from older versions for free for our customers. Right now that is somewhat frozen, just because phpLD 4.1 is about to go final. We also redesigned the admin panel, so that might make it easier for a newbie as well. We don't everyone but we try to have a policy of there being no stupid question, and we will be persistent until any communication disconnects are resolved.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:26 PM
Banned

DigiMax is the automated software for directory submission....

Old 07-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

What I am about to say doesn't apply to LD as I have looked at it in the past and just couldn't get a 'warm fuzzy' from it.

<rant>Since My last post in this thread I have decided that unless you want to use them 'out of the box' they (the most commonly used) are all junk.

This is from one who has spent many hundreds, if not thousands of hours of hard work trying to build a custom look and add functionality (multiple scripts) only to find out they had serious flaw(s), were overly bloated and complex, offered poor support and/or even after purchasing you find out they charge for plugins, templates etc etc.

It is like constantly beating your head against a brick wall fighting things that don't work as advertised and... Like right now I am wanting to add some eye candy using lightbox. A simple test with a stand alone php file works fine but when I roll that code into the template home page it breaks ^%#$$#%*.</rant>

Old 07-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkster View Post
What I am about to say doesn't apply to LD as I have looked at it in the past and just couldn't get a 'warm fuzzy' from it.

<rant>Since My last post in this thread I have decided that unless you want to use them 'out of the box' they (the most commonly used) are all junk.

This is from one who has spent many hundreds, if not thousands of hours of hard work trying to build a custom look and add functionality (multiple scripts) only to find out they had serious flaw(s), were overly bloated and complex, offered poor support and/or even after purchasing you find out they charge for plugins, templates etc etc.

It is like constantly beating your head against a brick wall fighting things that don't work as advertised and... Like right now I am wanting to add some eye candy using lightbox. A simple test with a stand alone php file works fine but when I roll that code into the template home page it breaks ^%#$$#%*.</rant>
You are welcome to rant all you want, but not everyone feels the same way. Ask people like Socialrific and Local Trade Ads. Why would they spend time working on a script that is so aweful? Once you understand smarty it is pretty easy to roll any php code you want into the homepage, but like any php application, you do have to spend some time learning the CMS to become an expert user. If you had a good experience with another script, that's great. It may be a good match for you and offer the right level of simplicity for your level.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

try Phpld bec it have easy to use and nice template, so i recommend that to u

Old 09-20-2010, 11:52 AM

Other directory scripts

If you're a non-programmer like me and don't like struggling with php (which I find quite difficult in large doses) and Smarty, there are some other options that are a bit more manageable. For example, DirectoryPress, which is built on WordPress, gets consistently good reviews. Or, depending on your budget, a hosted directory like eDirectory might be a good choice. There are also plenty of scripts that offer excellent support and additional fee-based services.

Any of the 4- and 5-start scripts at DirectoryScriptReviews.com are good choices.

All the scripts were selected on the basis of being suitable for hosting commercial directories, and the ratings are based primarily on ease of use for the non-programmer, and quality of support.

Hope this is helpful,
Kathee Muzin

Last edited by snakeair; 09-20-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: use the signature feature

Old 09-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Banned

indexu nicecoder.com

Old 09-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
...phpLD has never impressed me.
I humbly take that statement back. My opinion has changed but still wish finances allowed for a custom developed with exactly what I want--nothing less and nothing more.

Without looking at the URL or the source how difficult is it to tell what template this detail page was morphed from--detail page. It is my goal to make it difficult, at first impression to tell what script drives the site.

Last edited by Harkster; 09-20-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaZen View Post
If you're a non-programmer like me and don't like struggling with php (which I find quite difficult in large doses) and Smarty, there are some other options that are a bit more manageable. For example, DirectoryPress, which is built on WordPress, gets consistently good reviews. Or, depending on your budget, a hosted directory like eDirectory might be a good choice. There are also plenty of scripts that offer excellent support and additional fee-based services.

Any of the 4- and 5-start scripts at DirectoryScriptReviews.com are good choices.

All the scripts were selected on the basis of being suitable for hosting commercial directories, and the ratings are based primarily on ease of use for the non-programmer, and quality of support.

Hope this is helpful,
Kathee Muzin
I would take you more seriously if your whole site model about trying reviewing directory scripts. But it seems that really your goal is affiliate profits, and the so called 4 and 5 star are really just the scripts that are offering you an affiliate program. Wouldn't it be truth in advertising to post this clearly on your site that you generate revenue through affiliate programs offered by the very directory scripts you rank the highest?

Old 09-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I humbly take that statement back. My opinion has changed but still wish finances allowed for a custom developed with exactly what I want--nothing less and nothing more.
Thank you. If you need some custom work, let me know. We do try to help our customers, but I understand about budgets. Sometimes we are able to reduce our hourly rate a little. We set a record last week for custom work hours completed, and are becoming much more efficient with work. The new phpLD version 4.1 is easier than ever to work with fields.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirti.Seo View Post
indexu nicecoder.com
Could you explain why you suggested those 2?

What makes those 2 better then the other directory softwares that are currently out there?

Please backup your response a little more. We are looking for some Quality Posts and not very short ones like you just made.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:01 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by christino View Post
Lots of Software available in web. But Most of them have errors in it. So it is best to do manual submission.
Here you have it.

The truth has been spoken by [removed] who is not even capable to read thread's title.

fastreplies

Old 09-28-2010, 07:58 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastreplies View Post
Here you have it.

The truth has been spoken by [removed] who is not even capable to read thread's title.

fastreplies
Are you kidding me?

If you have a problem with a post, report it, but do NOT disrespect our members in this manner.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:09 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Could you explain why you suggested those 2?

What makes those 2 better then the other directory softwares that are currently out there?

Please backup your response a little more. We are looking for some Quality Posts and not very short ones like you just made.
Just a further note on this. Indexu is actually developed by/at nicecoder.com, so it is for all intents and purposes the same script.

I haven't used the script, but it does seem to have a following. There are a number of good directories that utilise the script effectively.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:14 AM

Directory

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner3221 View Post
None of the affordable and common commercial scripts are much good, and are vulnerable to automated submissions. If you can swing it your best to have a script developed to your specifications.

Do you know anyone that has experience building a web directory custom?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:57 PM

Hi,

I have just started using Arfooo directory script (free) , Has loads of great functions, Can be used as a directory script or like yell where members can submit a business even if they do not have a website, Easy to mod once you get to know the script but then again you can turn options on and off in the admin acp, Just has too many options to list but has more than you would ever expect from a free script and has more options than most paid ones, Well worth a look.

All the best

Old 04-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Banned

anyone here knows where to get free directory for VA?

Old 05-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspirohost View Post
anyone here knows where to get free directory for VA?
I'm sorry but i maybe having a brain fart tonight. Whats a VA?

Old 05-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Banned

I am using phpLD so i like it

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues