Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Share |
Old 08-19-2010, 08:57 AM
RIP 2014

Quote:
If your site is good it will approved within 4-6 month.
When editors evaluate websites, if they're acceptable and the category is correct, they list them - usually fixing the title and description in the process. If the category is incorrect, they move them.

The reasons for delay are two fold:
The site isn't listable and has been declined.
The site hasn't yet been evaluated (or is awaiting re-evaluation following a move).

There's absolutely no mechanism that implements your claim.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 01:17 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_noble View Post
The reasons for delay are two fold:
The site isn't listable and has been declined.
Delay for what then, for decline?
If site is not listable then what difference does it makes when it was or going to be
declined because as far as site owner concern time means nothing if site is not listed.
If time for owner means nothing then it cannot be reason for delay.

fastreplies

Old 08-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Banned

If DMOZ takes us to wait for a long time considering the fact that thousands of different websites submitting to their directories everyday, it should be much better for DMOZ to send us feedback if our site where accepted or not so that we where informed to re-submit it again or not.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Banned

I think we can hire an experienced person to submit our website to the DMOZ directory. I have seen many company's online offering this service but they are really expensive charging like 47 dollars. Comon its just a single listing... I am looking for someone to do that for cheap but guarantee me the listing!

Old 08-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanncy.grill
I think we can hire an experienced person to submit our website to the DMOZ directory. I have seen many company's online offering this service but they are really expensive charging like 47 dollars. Comon its just a single listing... I am looking for someone to do that for cheap but guarantee me the listing!
Good luck with that, how can someone guarantee a listing? They could only guarantee that they follow the guidelines. $47 is cheap. I would want to see the title, description and cat selection before they submitted it though.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:52 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda View Post
Good luck with that, how can someone guarantee a listing? They could only guarantee that they follow the guidelines. $47 is cheap. I would want to see the title, description and cat selection before they submitted it though.
I'd want to see the screenshot of them filling in the submission form with your information too.

Whose to say that they don't just take your money and do absolutely nothing?

I can guarantee that's a far more likely outcome than you gaining a listing

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstatefunding
If DMOZ takes us to wait for a long time considering the fact that thousands of different websites submitting to their directories everyday, it should be much better for DMOZ to send us feedback if our site where accepted or not so that we where informed to re-submit it again or not.
That's a two-edged sword. On the one hand it would relieve a lot of the negative press and the endless "how do I get into DMOZ?" questions. It may also appease people and get them to actually read the guidelines. On the other hand however, the volume of submissions sitting in the database awaiting review would increase ten-fold because whenever someone gets rejected they would submit immediately again. It would be an endless cycle of rejecting the same websites over and over and over again.

Last edited by Dan; 08-25-2010 at 05:55 PM.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:35 PM

I just wonder (truly not bashing here) how relevant the DMOZ really still is in the overall scope of marketing your website and making it visible? Certainly less of an issue than it once was.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

@Don - At the end of the day it is a backlink, no more, no less, it isn't going to make your PR skyrocket or send thousands of people to your site.

Some consider it very important but it's just another link, submit your site when you think it's ready and move on to the next quality directory.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:29 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda View Post
@Don - At the end of the day it is a backlink, no more, no less, it isn't going to make your PR skyrocket or send thousands of people to your site.

Some consider it very important but it's just another link, submit your site when you think it's ready and move on to the next quality directory.
From what I understand Google uses the DMOZ directory as it's foundation. Not only that, having a listing in DMOZ
makes a statement about the quality of your site. While it takes a long time to get listed, because the editors are volunteers. It should not be discounted in any way. It is not just another link.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:00 AM
v7n Mentor

I agree too. I don't think it is just another link. There are other directories around that also use the DMOZ database. 1 link can end up being hundreds (this was true in recent years, though whether it still is, I'm not fully aware).

However, even if it's only DMOZ, and Google Directory it's still 2, which is more than 1

Old 09-22-2010, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

Sure I see both your points, I might get two links, I might get more from others using their database, but really how important would the links be of the directories (other than Google Directory) which are using the DMOZ database?

This is why people become so fixated on getting their sites listed at DMOZ, because some make out it is more than it is, just another link. I agree if you can get your site listed fantastic, and yes it should be in your marketing and base of backlinks, but so should a lot of other directories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonshire
Not only that, having a listing in DMOZ
makes a statement about the quality of your site.
According to who? Google, DMOZ or the webmaster community?

Old 09-22-2010, 04:21 PM
v7n Mentor

Well that's the problem isn't it. People get fixated on trying to get a listing. They spend more time running around on forums demanding why they can't get listed than the time they spent on their submission (or even worse on their actual site's content).

If you can get your site listed it is an important link, let's not diminish it. DMOZ is still an important link. The reputation, I believe, exists in the webmaster community (whether Google still gives it as much weight as it used to is open for debate). If this reputation didn't exist people wouldn't mention their site being listed in DMOZ when they come around to selling it and they wouldn't spend so much time whingeing about not having that 1 link.

But let's also be clear. Just because a site isn't listed in DMOZ doesn't mean it isn't a good site, or that it won't be successful. DMOZ is nice to have, but it is not essential to have.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:32 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
But let's also be clear. Just because a site isn't listed in DMOZ doesn't mean it isn't a good site, or that it won't be successful. DMOZ is nice to have, but it is not essential to have.
Even though I know that you're talking in general, I will mention AMRAY directory as an example.
Without being listed by DMOZ, our SERP is living proof of how unimportant DMOZ listing can be.

fastreplies

Old 09-26-2010, 10:09 AM

Submit and forget about it. I think if you submit more than once the last time you submitted is the new date of submission. So just submit once.

[removed]

Last edited by snakeair; 09-26-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: unrelated link removed

Old 09-27-2010, 01:44 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Without being listed by DMOZ, our SERP is living proof of how unimportant DMOZ listing can be.
I wouldnt say that any high pr link is unimportant I would merely say that it is not essential and many, or most highly ranked sites would still be highly ranked, even without being included in DMOZ.

Many webmasters assume DMOZ is a golden link, a way to high ranking and pr when in fact, it is merely a link. A good one....but still only a link.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:13 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
I wouldnt say that any high pr link is unimportant I would merely say that it is not essential and many, or most highly ranked sites would still be highly ranked, even without being included in DMOZ.
What I meant is unimportant if site combines many other factors, as AMRAY does

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
Many webmasters assume DMOZ is a golden link, a way to high ranking and pr when in fact, it is merely a link. A good one....but still only a link.
LOL, I see you start quoting me for a change. Good man, it's about time.

fastreplies

Old 10-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

DMOZ

I find DMOZ to be unpredictable. Some sites can appear right away, others take months/years to show up.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:43 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
LOL, I see you start quoting me for a change. Good man, it's about time
Not quoting you i'm afraid. Merely making a statement, in which it appears that we both agree.

Quote:
I find DMOZ to be unpredictable. Some sites can appear right away, others take months/years to show up
Im assuming that you are talking about "submitted" sites. Bear in mind that many hundreds of thousands of sites were NEVER submitted to start with, the editors found them through other methods.

The old saying of "Submit and forget", certainly applies.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyatran View Post
I submitted my site to dmoz.org over 2 months ago but my submission have not shown up in google, yahoo or bing. should I resubmit my site to dmoz or wait. how long should I wait before I should resubmit.

thanks
Being impatient will not help. In my experience dmoz is arbitrary in sites they accept or reject and timeliness is not a strong suit of theirs.

Though I of course do not endorse this - Some would say if you're impatient go browse through the category you want to be listed in. Find some of the dead links to expired domains that are usually there - buy one - 301 redirect it to your site.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:25 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedal View Post
Find some of the dead links to expired domains that are usually there - buy one - 301 redirect it to your site.
From what I've seen, it doesn't last long; the redirect is soon flagged and removed.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues