Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Share |
Old 10-29-2010, 10:47 PM
v7n Mentor

The guidelines clearly state that you should submit your site once and once only, to the most appropriate category.

If you resubmit:
  • Multiple submissions can be seen as spamming
  • You overwrite the existing date stamp so you revert to the bottom of the suggestion pool
  • You achieve nothing other than knowing you resubmitted

Once you have suggested a site there is nothing that you can do and in fact, anything that is done can only be detrimental. Your site may be reviewed but there is no way of suggesting a time frame and it varies from 1 day to many years.

Basically.......submit and forget about it. Move on and promote your site through other methods.

Cheers

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 06:38 PM
v7n Mentor

.......and hear what Snooks said earlier, about not guaranteeing a review, well certainly not within a ten year period and that we do not set out to list as many sites as we can from the suggestions. We seek to build collated, organised sites for those who want to use that sort of resource to search the net.

I have argued for a very long time that we should not ask for suggestions, perhaps the numbers of editors thinking that is growing. It sets up false expectations that we operate like any other directory and that suggesters can expect a review in a reasonable time and we just cannot do that for many reasons. But I can also see the point of view that says that we want to work with people outside the editing community to help build the directory and certainly I have listed thousands of sites in my time that were suggestions. Indeed when I was a newbie about 10 years ago my passion was to see my categories with all the suggestions reviewed and either listed, moved or rejected..

Old 11-12-2010, 05:21 AM
Banned

can anyone tell me the guidelines to make my website got listed in dmoz

Old 11-12-2010, 06:26 AM
v7n Mentor

There's not a secret formula John, and the process is known to be pretty hit or miss. Reviews happen quickly in well tended categories, in geologic time in others. Without going into detail I'll just point you toward an old article that tells the best method and includes a link to the submission guidelines. see http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/i...howtopic=39760
The short answer is
  • -1- have a good site that is compliant with submission guidelines
  • -2- submit it to the right category
  • -3- submit it with a compliant title and description
  • -4- do not submit it all over the directory or multiple times... once is sufficient
Re-submitting it is at best the same as pushing the elevator button a second time... and resubmitting it a bunch could get one labelled as a spammer and they'd disregard it. Wish I could tell you there was a magic formula, but bottom line there's more directory than people to edit it and because it is free it gets spammed a LOT and that makes it even harder for the good sites to be found amongst the spam.

Be aware that they do not send acceptance or rejection notices, so the best thing to do is submit it once, submit it right, then walk away and concentrate on marketing your site thru methods that you *can* control.

That's about all there is to know on the subject. Good luck.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:38 PM
v7n Mentor

It helps to read this too
http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html

Old 11-13-2010, 02:38 AM
Banned

Did Any body know the proper guidelines of dmoz submission,because i have submitted my site to dmoz 3 months but still dmoz didnt approved my site

Old 11-13-2010, 03:38 AM
Contributing Member

Myself and Anonymously have posted a link to the submission guidelines in this thread already, sometimes if you take the time to read through a thread the answers to your questions you will find.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:25 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
if you take the time to read through a thread the answers to your questions you will find.
LOL. Been using that Yoda clippie again?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yoda clippie.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	13087  

Old 11-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

lol. Thought I would try an old/new tact Rob.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:30 PM

DMOZ Submissions

Hey guys,

I volunteer as an editor at DMOZ.
I think all webmasters got the cause-effect all wrong.
Having your site listed in DMOZ does not make any difference.
The thing is, that we only add sites that have good content to offer, and that worthiness of these sites is what makes them so successful.

That is, sites that are full with ads or pop ups, or have no unique content, will not be listed. To be honest, I have some of my websites not listed in categories I edit myself, due to the exact same reasons.

Basically, this is pretty simple.
Leave all SEO tips aside and concentrate on the content you provide to your users, because neither genius nor stupid search engines will low rank a website that has an increasing number of unique visitors, and that is something that you can achieve only by providing good and unique content.

Best Regards,
Me!

Old 02-05-2011, 02:50 AM
Banned

DMOZ listing is a paid service

Old 02-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sritech View Post
Dmoz is free to submit a listing to. Have you read any replies in this thread?

Old 02-05-2011, 06:22 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sritech View Post
If you paid you got robbed and when it gets found out that you paid you will get banned. Attempting to pay to get in DMOZ gets you either way.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:50 PM

I have tried to submit DMOZ 4 times within 4 months in a row but zero result

Old 02-06-2011, 04:51 PM

Now this is exactly what I was talking about.
Not every site is worth being listed in DMOZ.

If you're site is not good enough, it doesn't matter if you'd try 1000 times.
On the same note, if it was listed from the wrong reason (e.g., not being a good site on that category, with unique content to offer its users), then the fact that it is listed won't matter neither to your Google PR/TR or Alexa rank.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:10 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamat871 View Post
Did you really read the guidelines that you said you had when you suggested the site?

I mean the guideline that says very, very clearly
Quote:
Please only submit a URL to the Open Directory once. Again, multiple submissions of the same or related sites may result in the exclusion and/or deletion of those and all affiliated sites.
http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html

You can see what you might have done to yourself and if not then you will have been put to the bottom of the list.

We don't write the guidelines for fun, but to help sites get listed and keep the directory running.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:12 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamat871 View Post
From second bullet point at "How to suggest a site to the Open Directory" - http://www.dmoz.org/add.html
  • Multiple submissions of the same or related sites may result in the exclusion and/or deletion of those and all affiliated sites.

Given that quote, isnt saying you submitted once a month for four months and it still isn't listed sorta like saying ...
Quote:
"I've sawed this board off four times and it's STILL too short".

Old 02-07-2011, 05:48 PM

I am glad to see it is still active..
I must admit last time I went there I couldnt seem to submit a new site, but I guess I just had not navigated to a narrow enough category
It is nice to see a real site with people behind it rather than automated, generally spam filled directories..

Old 02-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by elycomputers View Post
I am glad to see it is still active..
I must admit last time I went there I couldnt seem to submit a new site, but I guess I just had not navigated to a narrow enough category
It is nice to see a real site with people behind it rather than automated, generally spam filled directories..
There are a lot of categories so you need to keep digging for the one that best fits the suite you are submitting.

It's nice to know that each submission is actually reviewed by a human just like on the quality paid web directories.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 PM

Well I must say I had an interesting couple of days with DMOZ..

I submitted a couple of sites and taking the many comments on review times into account I was extremely surprised to get a reply/comment form a reviewer the day after one of them was submitted.
The site itself covers local 2 cities and the reviewer stated I would have to identify which of the 2 areas its offices were in before they would consider listing it... and it would be listed under that city..

I was sitting thinking about things and decided if submission took so long etc maybe I should chip in with some time and apply to be a reviewer .. so I did..So I submitted 3 different sites for inclusion and had a rejection the same day - wow fast huh?

The rejection comments were a little confusing considering the other sites review comments though!

Sites 1 has 2 offices, the head office is in the City I applied to have it llisted under but they said it would have to be listed in the large geographical area listing as the smaller office was in another county..

Site 2 is an organisation that promotes the arts over a fairly large area but its offices are in the City I applied for listing under, It tuns the cinema in that city and numerous other services/events in the city itself.The city is the centre of the whole geographical area too..

Site 3 was almost a "fan site", it has details on a fictional character, fictional events and characters of the area and the local area itself is approx 1.5 miles form the city centre. I guess you could argue on quality grounds, although it did make it into wikipedia, but the comments were it did not relate to the city and because it offered a few CDs of radio performances it would be categorised as a shopping site!
I thought the comments overall were a little strange, and decided to browse round the loclly listed sites for the city. Interestingly I find that a restaurent which is over 15 miles away and located in a different county is listed in that city when they have refused a site that is 10 times closer..

I guess for an objective directory it depends how each person individually applies the guidelines which just seems to make its own guidelines a little redundant...

Last edited by elycomputers; 02-11-2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: spelling :(

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues