Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Share |
Old 02-22-2011, 03:52 AM

Question Yahoo Directory submission - is it worth $299?

Hi!

I am doing SEO for my HYIP monitor, and I recently found yahoo directory. It is possible to submit website for free or to order expedited review for $299. So I have some question:

1) How much time will it take to review my website if I select free submission?

2) Will they 100% approve my website in case I order expedited submission or they just guarantee that it will be reviewed, not approved?

3) Will appearing in Yahoo directory give me a good impact in Google and Yahoo?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ~CReed; 02-23-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: formatting

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

It will takes ages before they would include your free submission and yes it doesn't guarantee if it would be included or no. If they will find it not very useful, they might ignore it. Well, ya your links in yahoo directory would effect your website ranking in yahoo a lot and to some extent in Google too but its not worth spending $299. I would recommend you to add your link to Dmoz and it will be more than enough if it would get approved. Although it take ages too for approval.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:20 PM
v7n Mentor

In all honesty i think $299 is rip off and DMOZ is a lottery, may be a day or may be many years before it is reviewed, with no guatantee of inclusion.

In all honesty,

1. Spend the bucks and buy into Best Of The Web (about $160?)
2. V7N Directory is excellent value for around $40

Then i would spend $100 on getting into say 3 more good directories and frankly, i think this would give your site a very good boost.

I found when i did both of these to one of my sites, it jumped sky high pretty fast.

Disclaimer
I have affiliate links for both BOTW and also V7 but you will note i did not use them, so as to remain impartial.

Cheers

Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

Feeling like parting with a crap shoot for your $299? Why not send me a plethora of sites and articles and you can get listed almost overnight. Yahoo and DMOZ do not need your cash.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

In DMOZ I think my site was disapproved within 10 days LOL.

I saw a click coming from DMOZ and I thought YAY. But no it might have been from someone who was approving or disapproving the entries.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:19 PM
v7n Mentor

lawrencia - That hit could also just have been the links checker bot going thru the queue.
----------

Back on topic...
IMO, on yahoo it depends on the per conversion revenue you get from your site. I know some sites that'd cover the cost with very few good customer hits, so anything above that few would be a positive ROI.

Aside from that, there are some hard to quantify advantages that still merit consideration. Yahoo is a pretty high profile address, and for a site trying to get on the radar could make a difference. Even if the fee isn't justifiable from a straight ROI perspective, the exposure may still be worth the price for some sites.

You also have to consider that the bigger directories provide a very inviting site mining opportunity when other directories are trying to build up their categories. I know for a fact it happens, cause in the decade plus I've been involved with directories I've mined their sites just as they've mined categories I built. Common practice. That's a situation where you must be present to win.

All off those factors should be taken into account when deciding if it is or is not cost effective. May differ depending on the current status and income potential of the site you're considering submitting.

Last edited by robjones; 02-23-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:32 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swindler View Post
1) How much time will it take to review my website if I select free submission?

2) Will they 100% approve my website in case I order expedited submission or they just guarantee that it will be reviewed, not approved?

3) Will appearing in Yahoo directory give me a good impact in Google and Yahoo?
The following are based on my experiences with the Yahoo Directory over the past 10 years:

1) Yahoo clearly states that for Free submissions that there is a "No time guarantee" which I interpret as it may or may not get reviewed. I've seen two referrals from Yahoo in our log files over the years for free submissions (and I've had quite a few approved) so it's hard to tell if your submission has been reviewed or not.

Quote:
Due to the volume of suggestions, we cannot guarantee a timely consideration of your site.
2) Payment of the submission fee guarantees that Yahoo will review and consider your site within 7 days. This does not guarantee that your site will be listed, only that an editor will review and consider your site and respond to your submission within 7 business days.

Quote:
Yahoo!'s directory team will review your site for compliance with minimum site criteria (see section 3.0 below) and respond to your request for inclusion in the Directory on an expedited basis. In consideration of your payment and participation in Yahoo! Directory Submit in accordance with this Agreement, Yahoo! agrees that its directory team will review you site for possible inclusion in the Directory, and respond to you within seven (7) business days from the date that you submit your site for consideration (excluding holiday periods observed by Yahoo! and any delays due to problems processing your request). Response times are measured on Yahoo!'s mail servers.
3) It's a good link to have, but it's not going to automatically give you top rankings in the search engines. I've always felt that it's a link that does have value because it's coming from a trusted site. I've always gotten a good ROI for the sites that I have paid the submission fee for.

Be sure to review the Yahoo! Directory Submit Terms Of Service before you submit a paid listing.

Here's a quick tip - if you're submitting a site with a commercial theme and the category is already well represented (10 or more listings) I doubt you'll have much of a chance getting listed for free. If the category is well represented there's not much incentive/reason for an editor to add a free listing to the category unless the site offers content well above what is already there (think quality rather than quantity or volume).

Welcome to the forum.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Yahoo directory paid submission worth's it
We appreciate the comment but can you tell us why you think so? We would love to know more of why you feel this way.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:27 AM

Well, thanks everyone for the opinion, it helped me to make a decision. I have come to the idea that $299 is really much for just visiting the website. If they'd guarantee the inclusion, probably I'd think about it, but only when all other methods are used. I have received some good offers for backlinks, and I am definitely sure that 6 links from PR6 websites will give me a better impact in both Google and Yahoo than just Yahoo directory, considering the fact that the price is same.
P.S. I have submitted my website for free into both DMoZ and Yahoo. Well, this is just for a try, to tell the truth I don't believe my website will be ever included.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:06 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post
lawrencia - That hit could also just have been the links checker bot going thru the queue.
Hmm didn't knew even that thing exists.

Lets hope it gets approved then It means I still got a chance even if a slim one

Old 03-01-2011, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

The Yahoo directory is well worth the $299. You can check out this article "Yahoo Directory – Does it help?" for a better understanding on how your site can benefit from being listed there.

I think it is better to just pay the review fee, Yahoo is pretty cool about adding sites as long as the site isn't just loaded with adsense or affiliate links. So don't be cheap, you gotta spend a little sometimes in order to get good results.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

My take is the "Value" is in the eye of the beholder. Marketed shopping sites would cover the annual fee quite easily. Information sites can cover costs if they can channel the traffic.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:47 PM

If you are in a niche which is hard to build links for then I would think yes definitely.
I would only do it for the backlink though and wouldn't expect much traffic.

You could get a lot of good quality links on different sites for $300 a year though..

Old 03-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

yahoo directory for seo is a big help, but I think it is not worth $ 299.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencia View Post
In DMOZ I think my site was disapproved within 10 days LOL.

I saw a click coming from DMOZ and I thought YAY. But no it might have been from someone who was approving or disapproving the entries.
My sites had also got a click from DMOZ after around 4 days of submission.

I don't think the lazy moderators of DMOZ would review my site within just 4 days So that might be just a bot.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:38 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe12joe View Post
It will takes ages before they would include your free submission and yes it doesn't guarantee if it would be included or no. If they will find it not very useful, they might ignore it. Well, ya your links in yahoo directory would effect your website ranking in yahoo a lot and to some extent in Google too but its not worth spending $299. I would recommend you to add your link to Dmoz and it will be more than enough if it would get approved. Although it take ages too for approval.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
In all honesty i think $299 is rip off and DMOZ is a lottery, may be a day or may be many years before it is reviewed, with no guatantee of inclusion.

In all honesty,

1. Spend the bucks and buy into Best Of The Web (about $160?)
2. V7N Directory is excellent value for around $40

Then i would spend $100 on getting into say 3 more good directories and frankly, i think this would give your site a very good boost.

I found when i did both of these to one of my sites, it jumped sky high pretty fast.

Disclaimer
I have affiliate links for both BOTW and also V7 but you will note i did not use them, so as to remain impartial.

Cheers
Is yahoo listing and in other paid directory listing will be considered as paid links? Is it a no-follow link?

Old 03-13-2011, 05:00 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameerulislam10 View Post
Is yahoo listing and in other paid directory listing will be considered as paid links? Is it a no-follow link?
Asked and answered many times in this forum alone. See Matt Cutts statement.

[YT]1Pu1YWcIh04[/YT]

Old 03-21-2011, 11:15 AM

Of course Yahoo directory will not be unnecessary for the promotion of your website but it's not the best way to spend $299 for the benefit to SEO of your website.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:03 AM

Yahoo Directory is not showing great content in:

web directory
free web directory
local web directory
regional web directory
and so on...lol

I don't pay for the name i would pay for results.
Yahoo needs to stick to a search engine, because there are many web directories with much better content.

If your paying for the name you should submit, but yahoo is no where close to the strongest web directory.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:50 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLWD View Post
Yahoo Directory is not showing great content in:

web directory
free web directory
local web directory
regional web directory
and so on...lol

I don't pay for the name i would pay for results.
Yahoo needs to stick to a search engine, because there are many web directories with much better content.

If your paying for the name you should submit, but yahoo is no where close to the strongest web directory.
Are you sure, I only know of 2 good directories, Yahoo and dmoz. What else do you know that is better than them?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues