Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Share |
Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

What's The Big Deal About Deep Links?

What is a "deep-link" directory, and why is this so coveted?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 02:39 PM
v7n Mentor

I am thinking with a signature like yours, you know the answer to this question. But of course there are many members who are new to SEO who may not know the value of a link to an internal page. So, I moved this from the thread where you posted it to allow discussion.

When new website owners start building links to their site, they tend to just go for home page or domain links. But that doesn't build a natural looking profile, does it? Links that we get for great content usually link to an internal page and that's called a deep link. In other words, a deep link is a link to any page except your home page.

Few directories accept deep links, making that an even more rare commodity.

But the real attraction of a "self service" deep link is to try and present a more balanced or natural looking link profile to the search engines, don't you think, sfod?

Old 02-27-2011, 06:34 PM
v7n Mentor

The deeplinks that I really like are the editorial additions in directories such as Yahoo! or BOTW.org. Always nice to see an individual page from your site added to directories such as these.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
I am thinking with a signature like yours, you know the answer to this question. But of course there are many members who are new to SEO who may not know the value of a link to an internal page. So, I moved this from the thread where you posted it to allow discussion.

When new website owners start building links to their site, they tend to just go for home page or domain links. But that doesn't build a natural looking profile, does it? Links that we get for great content usually link to an internal page and that's called a deep link. In other words, a deep link is a link to any page except your home page.

Few directories accept deep links, making that an even more rare commodity.

But the real attraction of a "self service" deep link is to try and present a more balanced or natural looking link profile to the search engines, don't you think, sfod?
Good - thank you.

I'm slowly seeding a new directory and taking the time to add deep links for most listings and adding website reviews occasionally. Painful stuff, but I'll keep on going because "the real attraction of a "self service" deep link is to try and present a more balanced or natural looking link profile to the search engines".

So you've given someone a boost today mj.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

Not only will it give you a more natural look to your link profile, but by building those deep links, you will also be able to help your pages that are "deeper" in your website with their seo. Just a thought.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Contributing Member

This is a good topic because a lot of newbies don't understand this. When you weight the domain itself it only carries are a PR to itself, and not to the individual articles. I'm not saying its all about having PR, but what I am trying to point out is that you want to give your WHOLE site attention, not just its face. Its kind of like finding substance in someone beyond the looks. They might have a lot of people looking at them, but if you get to know them and have a terrible personality, well that can be equated as having a lot of backlinks to the domain and having terrible content.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:10 AM
v7n Mentor

And on the opposite side of the coin

Deep links from a directory perspective are a pain in the butt. They tend to change a lot more often than the main url, so if the webmaster changes his structure or something, you end up with a dead link. As such deep links can be high maintanence.

In a directory where i do a bit of editing, The NSW Dept Of Education did a deeplink change last year and i ended up with around 700 dead links to find and fix, for all state public schools.

This is a perfect example.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

However the approval ratio for deep link directory submission is much lower compared for the homepage, this is usually to do with too little content on the link page itself.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:40 PM

Great question if you consider that many, including the owners of directories themselves, do not realize what is "deep link directories". It's not just SEO friendly directories but directories that besides links to Home page of site place links to inner pages. Many paid directories have deep links and there are very few free deep link directories.
Here's a quick list of such free deep link directories.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Deep linking can help get your site multiple listings on the first page of some long-tailed search results.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:44 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickz View Post
Deep linking can help get your site multiple listings on the first page of some long-tailed search results.
It can? Can you provide us with an example?

Old 03-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Banned

I think the best way to promote your inner page site is through article submission and forum posting.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:34 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
And on the opposite side of the coin

Deep links from a directory perspective are a pain in the butt. They tend to change a lot more often than the main url, so if the webmaster changes his structure or something, you end up with a dead link. As such deep links can be high maintanence.

In a directory where i do a bit of editing, The NSW Dept Of Education did a deeplink change last year and i ended up with around 700 dead links to find and fix, for all state public schools.

This is a perfect example.
The downside of offering added value. It's unfortunate, because more often than not the deadlinks go undetected for a long time and the best of intentions end up punishing the directory owner (you know the saying no good deeed goes unpunished).

Obviously, where there is a will there is a way, and it would be great to see script developers evolving their scripts intelligence such that things like deadlinks are reported to the owner so they can be rectified. I'm sure there are some mechanisms in place already, I think however they need to have some intelligence built in.

Directories who include deeplinks as part of their regular listings offer the opportunity of more sophisticated content.

However, this shouldn't be confused with straight out "deeplink" directories who offer this to everyone, thereby inviting spam and other junky content, and can actually be the worst of the worst directories...

A true deeplink directory isn't one that is interested in the deeplink concept itself, but that is focused on the content, which in many cases exists on a deeper page within a website... *fine line*

Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Banned

Deep links means got link from very inner page of any site and that is not very worthful because some time that page don't cached by Google.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:24 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by izapharry View Post
Deep links means got link from very inner page of any site and that is not very worthful because some time that page don't cached by Google.
I've always considered deeplinks to be links from other sites pointing to internal pages on my site.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CReed View Post
I've always considered deeplinks to be links from other sites pointing to internal pages on my site.
Yes, that is the definition of a deep link. They can also be called internal links.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:28 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectoryMan View Post
Yes, that is the definition of a deep link. They can also be called internal links.
I'm sorry, but I think this needs clarification. Deep links cannot also be called internal links. Internal links are links within a single website. A deep link comes from an external site.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
I'm sorry, but I think this needs clarification. Deep links cannot also be called internal links. Internal links are links within a single website. A deep link comes from an external site.
OK then. How about links to internal pages of your site.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:56 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectoryMan View Post
OK then. How about links to internal pages of your site.
That is the definition of a 'deep link.'

Old 03-28-2011, 01:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickz View Post
I think deep link submission or promotion will help you to promote your deep link url only. But you can not promote your inner pages with home pages for single keywords means you can not get first position in google for home page and inner pages also for single keyword. I did not saw result like this till now.

For other keywords your inner pages can be on top after promotion.

Thanks

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues