Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 AM

How to get on Dmoz?

Would love to know what success rate people have recently had with getting sites listed on Dmoz.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Two different questions, the second I can't answer.

How to get on DMOZ:
http://www.dmoz.org/add.html

Provide a useful resource for users.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:04 AM

Thanks for that although my original question was aimed at understanding whether anybody had actually got a site on to Dmoz recently, and if so, how!

Many thanks

Matt

Old 03-02-2011, 06:36 AM
aka Colleen

I gave up on this long ago, many of the sites currently listed there are certainly not useful, they're old and outdated, but I did read they were cleaning it up, not sure if that's the case or not, but my site, at the time, was a heck of a lot more useful than what was listed in it's category. I certainly do believe some categories are unfortunately edited by someone out for their own good and will always stand by that.

Best advice, add your site if you want and then forget about it. If it gets listed, great, it not, oh well.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:47 AM
v7n Mentor

The Dmoz interface has been a bit hinky since the implementation of a new software in 2010, which hasnt aided the editing process, but it's still being actively added to. Simply put, it's still the equivalent of a lottery win if a site gets accepted, but like any lottery, it helps to be present if you want to win.

Doing the math
Think about the size of the database vs the number of editors.
  1. The directory has over 1 million categories.
  2. Editors with live IDs... probably less than 5000.
  3. Seriously active editors is a percentage of that, I'd put it at a few hundred max.
  4. Those 1 million categories have one thing in common... the button to submit is free.
That tells you every one of 1 million+ queues has the number of acceptable sites buried by the number of spam submissions.
There have been plenty of known instances where self-interested editors were there as Colleen states... but I can attest those get booted. Editor as competitor isnt the reason some acceptances move at glacial speed, it's the size of the task vs the available hands.

In total absence of any potential editorial misbehavior issue you can look at the numbers and know it is impossible to have an expectation any specific site submitted could be reviewed inside a specific timeframe, or even SEEN by an editor. The queues there are like a barn with 1 million plus stalls each filled to the brim with dung but with a few gold nuggets buried in each.

NOW: Assign a few hundred active volunteers to find the nuggets in the dung
Never mind that there are thousands of sites accepted there every week, the math clearly indicates that many sites submitted may not be seen by an editor in anything approximating a timely manner, it's literally a physical impossibility.

Submit there, and if accepted, congrats, it's a good link to have...
But don't sit by tapping your feet expecting it to show up. It could happen tomorrow, it could happen never. It doesnt mean your competitor is editing the category and intentionally ignoring your site, it just means the numbers are what they are. It's probably the largest human edited directory on the web (not sure on Dmoz vs Yahoo numbers)... but there isn't a guarantee of a site review in a specific timeframe for a reason. It literally can't be done, especially with a volunteer model.

Last edited by robjones; 03-02-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

My question about gettin site listed on DMOZ, if you know for shure, is, does it matter if the site has google adsense advertising?

Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 AM
aka Colleen

Hey Rob, funny thing, I just checked and my site is now finally listed there, it took years, kinda surprised, thanks for explaining BTW.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:54 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarPlo View Post
My question about gettin site listed on DMOZ, if you know for shure, is, does it matter if the site has google adsense advertising?
The presence of Adsense does NOT disqualify a site
It's a matter of content and intent. The standard question they'll try to determine... "Is this a site someone put adsense on, or is this an ad someone put a little content into?"

If it's the first it's ok, but in the case of a clearcut MFA it'll tend to be turned down. Acceptable range may vary from one editor to another, and the decision may hinge on how hard up an editor is to find sites that fit into a category. Nobody cares if a site has ads, but nobody wants to look at an ad that may have some content hidden in it somewhere. The less intrusive the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
Hey Rob, funny thing, I just checked and my site is now finally listed there, it took years, kinda surprised, thanks for explaining BTW.
Congrats Colleen. Nice to see you back in here btw. Stick around and make yourself at home again.

Last edited by robjones; 03-02-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:58 AM
aka Colleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post
Congrats Colleen. Nice to see you back in here btw. Stick around and make yourself at home again.
Thanks!

I've been missing all my online buddies but can't seem to find most of them. I want to get back working again now that my little one is a bit older and is happy to play alone here and there, I can get some work done. I figured the best way to get motivated is by being around my peers and back on the forums, which I've always loved.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

I personally wouldn't bother with DMOZ anymore, unless you have the patience of waiting 5+ years to get approved.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:13 PM
v7n Mentor

Not like patience really factors in. You spend a big 5 minutes or so submitting to the right category and move on and forget it.

If it doesnt get added you lost 5 minutes, but nothing more. If it does get added at some point you got a link that has been known to be similar in effect to a Yahoo listing that many pros pay big bucks for. Just a matter of keeping it in perspective.

Last edited by robjones; 03-02-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Dmoz is almost impossible and not worth thinking about again once you have applied.

Why?
1 - It doesnt have the weight like it used to.
2 - Its full of corrupt admins
3 - It rarely takes on new admins due to #2
4 - Most sections are run by people with interests in their own company and as such wont approve your site or will just leave it in the queue forever more.

Submit it and forget about it.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:40 PM
v7n Mentor

Hi Lynxus - I'm curious. As your #2-4 contradict what I said. Did you...
  • a) ...not read my post?
  • b) ...read it and decide I was wrong?
  • b) ...read it and decide this was a good time to just flat out call me a liar?

If the answer is (a)
Please read the threads before making a kneejerk response to the title.

If the answer is (b)
My answer is based on personal observation from within over a span covering all but the first year it existed. Is your source better, or are you repeating "common knowledge" you've heard and suspected but have no direct experience to back it up?

If the answer is (c)
I give up, what makes you think I have a reason to lie to you?

Old 03-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post
Hi Lynxus - I'm curious. As your #2-4 contradict what I said. Did you...
  • a) ...not read my post?
  • b) ...read it and decide I was wrong?
  • b) ...read it and decide this was a good time to just flat out call me a liar?

If the answer is (a)
Please read the threads before making a kneejerk response to the title.

If the answer is (b)
My answer is based on personal observation from within over a span covering all but the first year it existed. Is your source better, or are you repeating "common knowledge" you've heard and suspected but have no direct experience to back it up?

If the answer is (c)
I give up, what makes you think I have a reason to lie to you?
I had a quick scan through all answers and thought id add "my thoughts" It wasn't intended to jump on anyone's feet.

Its simply what i think.

I've been submitting sites to dmoz since god knows when and it used to be much better.

In the last 4-5 years, Its been getting progressively harder to get anything added.

Oh and the corrupt admins thing is true, I know three people in "real life" who have volunteer accounts and they are some of the most crooked people I know.
Yes maybe there's some decent people in the general topics, but when you get down to the niche areas, Its just a downright dirty place.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:05 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxus
Oh and the corrupt admins thing is true, I know three people in "real life" who have volunteer accounts and they are some of the most crooked people I know.
Yes maybe there's some decent people in the general topics, but when you get down to the niche areas, Its just a downright dirty place.
I've personally witnessed the ouster of any that were caught doing anything shady, but I have no reason to assume you're lying. If you'll PM those names I'll be glad to forward them to the people whose job it is to check and verify if there's a problem. If you dont want to name names, just provide the category, cause it's easy to spot if you know where to look. There's your chance to make a difference.

Of course if you aren't willing to do that...
--- either you're not being entirely candid and used that tale as an excuse to cover your butt, OR
--- you're contributing to the very problem you're whining about.

If you see someone dump trash on the road and refuse to identify them when asked, you might as well not complain about trashy streets, cause you're part of the problem. Feel free to drop me a PM that backs up your tale of corruption. If you can't do it, it aint true.

Last edited by robjones; 03-02-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:52 PM
v7n Mentor

So you make an accusation, claim to have proof, but when asked to substantiate... silence.

Funny how sometimes silence says so much more than words.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Give a man time!

I certainly don't need to give proof for my comments and wont be.
I also will not be "grassing" anyone up as I know these people. Why would I do this.

I'm simply saying how I see it.
Am I making the situation worse? Possibly.

Its not my place nor worth the hassle of handing over said information.
Why cant dmoz have systems in place to check for people abusing the system?
Maybe they do, maybe they dont.

Eitherway,
My OP stands and my own thoughts of the issue.

If you dont agree with me then thats fine.

At least we can agree to disagree.
Your quite a hostile man, So this will be me my last comment on this subject.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:11 PM
v7n Mentor

Naah, I'm not hostile, just caught you in a lie. Nobody's gonna bleed to death over this issue, just don't claim to have proof you aren't willing to provide. Gives folks reason to doubt your veracity.

Last edited by robjones; 03-02-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:37 PM
No Longer Active

@lynxus: Making public accusations of corruption without evidence backing up your claim could be considered by some to be libelous statements. In this community, unless you are prepared to back up a claim of corruption concerning ANY company or person, then I respectfully request that you keep those thoughts to yourself. Thank you for understanding.