Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Share |
Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 AM

how to create a forum directory?

I compiled a list of forums that I use for my work...

I was thinking to publish it so everyone can see, add new forums or comments.

it will be very simple format, like

@category1
www. forum1.com
www. forum2.com
@category2
etc

what services/software/scripts can I use for this?

I was thinking to setup a blog on posterous.com

what do you think?

Last edited by ScriptMan; 02-02-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: remove useless links

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

I think I read somewhere that there is a theme for WordPress to resemble a directory. There are many free to use directory scripts out there. Some are harder to mod than others.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

WordPress but it's a long study

Old 02-02-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I think I read somewhere that there is a theme for WordPress to resemble a directory. There are many free to use directory scripts out there. Some are harder to mod than others.
Interesting.. thank you. can you give me a link? or keywords?

Old 02-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Search Google using wordpress directory theme

Add the word free. All the ones I saw were expensive for a startup venture. There are way too many free directory scripts to pay for a WordPress theme

Old 02-02-2012, 02:44 PM
v7n Mentor

A forum directory would have a pretty flat structure to begin with... So im not certain youd need a special template to do it.

Just decide on your primary categories and make a page for each. Simple subcategories could be set up like paragraghs on each page, and node categories off those could be nested using the list function. Make your first page an explanation of what the site offers and add live links to each primary cat page.

In order to offer a database search, use a search-this-site widget.

Nothing real complicated there. Its cheap, easy, and WP is free. Sometimes a simple solution is the best.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:18 AM

right, it's gonna be a flat list for now.

I know I can make an html page myself but the problem is that I want to make it interactive so people can live comments or add something

I am thinking of using posterous blogging platform

Old 02-09-2012, 09:42 PM

Here is my forum directory, I created it as a blog on posterous

http://myforums.posterous.com

let me know what you think?

is it readable?

Last edited by snakeair; 02-10-2012 at 04:06 AM.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:39 AM
v7n Mentor

Putting the entire thing on one page creates a heavy page. My ipad browser crashed twice trying to load it. That single page flat list with no navigation aid is pure web1.0. Havent seen anyone do that in a decade.

To fix that loading issue I'd again suggest putting only the primary categories on the front page, then linking each catname to a page that contains ONLY the content for that category. You could easily provide a nav bar that allows them to go directly to any of the cats from any page on the site.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:10 AM

I wanted to have it all on one page..

it always looks annoying to me when I need to go to a new page to see the content of each category, especially when there are only a few forums listed on this page

Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 AM
v7n Mentor

Your call, but a 1-page "directory" isnt scaleable, and its already got load time issues. Thats why real directories arent on 1 page.
A 1-page-directory is called "a list".

Whyd you start a thread asking about software if the plan was to put it on 1 page? If it was simply to announce it, we have a spot for that elsewhere.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:12 PM
v7n Mentor

I agree with Rob here.

The flat structure can be appealing from the owner point of view because it's nice to have it all in one spot. Unfortunately, what you have is now a massive useability issue for your users - Poor Navigation

Forget all the other issues that a flat structure generates, that one useability issue alone makes the flat structure unworkable.

Having created "lists" for over a decade now, I can say with all certainty they can only really work as a concentrate and not in a diluted manner.

What do I mean? Well, when you read a list it will generally be "the best of the best", an extremely concise collection that has gone through some rigorous criteria/review/evaluation to whittle it down to small numbers.

It's why it is always the Top 10 Scary Horror Movies, or the 15 Best Tennis Players Ever. These are concentrates. But you would never put both of these on the same page.

Having a list where you aren't just including those horror movies for example, but decide to branch out into all genres, quickly dilutes and becomes impossible to navigate. Instead you would create the cat [top movies] or similar, and then have each list under it's own genre [top horror], [top action], [top drama] etc. See where I'm going?

Don't believe me? Try finding each category on your list quickly... You can't. I have to scroll through all that data and I still might not find what I am looking for. If you had all of those categories available in one quick glance I can see what I am looking for immediately.

e.g. If I was looking for Political forums they are 3/4 of the way down the page. That's a long scroll to find...

Old 02-15-2012, 06:46 PM
RIP 2014

I'm with the other guys but I have a confession to make.

I use a flat file link list of resources (that I need to hand when editing or undertaking other ODP work) as my home page - but it's specific to me, private to me, lives on my HD and is thus very fast to load. Essentially, it replaces what would have otherwise been a multi line browser favorites/bookmarks that took up far too much screen space. What it isn't is a directory.

Conclusions.
If it's a tool optimised for your use, do what you like but keep it locally.
If it's a tool for public use and possibly revenue generation, it's got to be usable and user friendly.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:45 PM

There's "articless" for WordPress, you could alter that to be what you want it to be.

I'd recommend building your own, however, and in WordPress to take advantage of all of it's powerful tools.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues