Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Is DMOZ.org still something a site should do?

I was wondering if it is worth the time to list our site with dmoz.org? And are there any other open directories that a site should submit to?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

i don't know any other web directories having such a reputation and quality like dmoz.org have. so I'd recommend you to submit your website at dmoz.org for review and then try the other web directories. dmoz.org is the world's no.1 human edited web directory and even google like that project.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileverse View Post
i don't know any other web directories having such a reputation and quality like dmoz.org have. so I'd recommend you to submit your website at dmoz.org for review and then try the other web directories. dmoz.org is the world's no.1 human edited web directory and even google like that project.
that's true but I do not think that Search engines pay huge attention to it nowadays. Its just another option in the SEO tools

Old 02-08-2012, 04:57 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobiwinds View Post
I was wondering if it is worth the time to list our site with dmoz.org? And are there any other open directories that a site should submit to?
It is worth the time to submit, whether they will list you or not is another matter.

Here's a thread containing ODP Guidelines that could help with your submission.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

I still think DMOZ still hold some good weight for anyone who gets listed on it. This Web Rank Site http://www.webrankstats.com still likes to see it.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I concur, getting your site listed in DMOZ is definately worth it...most people who say the opposite, are just bitter because they were denied by DMOZ.

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Old 02-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I have also tried many times to listing my site on dmoz.org but still I haven't gotten success to do this thing. I think the web directory submission would be much better than this.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:37 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

I always recommend Dmoz.org because Dmoz.org is very valuable and famous directory as compare to all other directories.

Thanks

Regards
Tyler

Old 02-09-2012, 12:39 AM

You might be disappointed listing with Dmoz. I have been trying to get listed for seven months and still no joy. I have been told that their submissions are processed by volounteers and can take years

Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

The old adage is "Submit & Forget".

DMOZ is certainly good to be included in but once you have made the submission just move on and promote your site by other means. Reviews can take years and nothing that you can do will do anything except hinder the review. DO NOT resubmit, you will simply overwrite the date stamp on your previous submission.

Just check every 3 months and hopefully one day you will see that you have been included.

Cheers

Old 02-09-2012, 05:12 AM
Contributing Member

I does and normally will take a while to get listed in DMOZ that's for sure. I've been waiting a month already and got luck yet. But just like anything else...try and try again.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:38 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2Dylan View Post
I does and normally will take a while to get listed in DMOZ that's for sure. I've been waiting a month already and got luck yet. But just like anything else...try and try again.
As long as "trying again" doesn't refer to submitting the same site again, as DMOZ own guildeines specifically prohibit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMOZ Guidelines
Procedure After Your Site is Submitted

An ODP editor will review your submission to determine whether to include it in the directory. Depending on factors such as the volume of submissions to the particular category, it may take several weeks or more before your submission is reviewed. Please only submit a URL to the Open Directory once. Again, multiple submissions of the same or related sites may result in the exclusion and/or deletion of those and all affiliated sites. Disguising your submission and submitting the same URL more than once is not permitted.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

James, i submitted once and knew it would not get approved so i'm not going to submit again. It's not worth it.

You can submit to other quality free web directories that actually have a faster approval rate.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 02-17-2012, 08:49 AM

It's worth trying mainly because it takes so little time to fill out your submission. You might as well take 5 minutes to try to get listed on the site. There are no guarantees, though, that you will get listed when you do submit.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Snakeair,

If you knew it wouldn't get approved, why submit then? I think it takes too long for it to get approved anyway.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2Dylan View Post
Snakeair,

If you knew it wouldn't get approved, why submit then? I think it takes too long for it to get approved anyway.
Before i did a major redesign of my blog late last year, the previous theme looked a little bit spammy to me and i had way to many ad's/links on the homepage. (way to many affiliate links on the homepage)

Now, that i think my blog looks a little more professional the blog might get approved but i submitted once and won't submit again.

<--- Just being honest.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 02-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I think DMOZ has lost it's glory. It's not worth it anymore to submit your site to them. Better if you look for other directory submission sites that would really bring traffic to your site.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for clearing up that one for me snakeair. I submitted some time ago, no word on approval so I'm just calling it what it is...lost effort.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues