Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-16-2012, 12:51 PM

Amount of time to see results

Once your site has been included in a few directories (I know they all carry different weight which will probably affect the time it would take) and you start getting more backlinks to your site whats the average amount of time it usually takes to start seeing results in traffic and increased page rank in the search engines?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Very general question, How do you define results? It could be one visitor from a link at a directory, still a result. Quality Directory listings merely form a solid base for your backlink campaign.

There are so many variables to try to answer your question even remotely close. Suggestions have been made that listing your site in Niche Directories should have an impact on visitors to your site. Have you submitted to any quality niche directories?

As you have mentioned PR, this will depend on real PR of the page your listing is on, which is also determined by the number of bleeding outbound links on that page.

Tool bar PR that you see from various browser plugins is a snapshot of previous data and is not real time. You may see a TBPR increase in the next update from "unranked" to 0 or even higher, but again too many variables come into this to accurately answer your question.

A well rounded linking campaign will net faster/better results.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:19 PM

Sorry, I understand what your saying. I was meaning once you start getting a good base of backlinks what is the amount of time to start expecting an increase of organic traffic from search engines?

Does it take a month for these types things to start taking effect? Or a shorter or longer period? That was what I was trying to ask.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:24 PM

Again, this is a very generic question. A lot of factors are involved. Organic traffic from search engines depends on your keyword rankings.

Keyword ranking depends on:

1) How good your site is content wise (Content)
2) How important is your site? How many sites are linking to your site? How important are the sites which are linking to you? (SEO)
3) How important are other sites when compared to yours? (Competition)

Apart from search engine traffic you may get other traffic like social media if you are involved in social media campaigns. You may also get traffic from article directories and other referral sites.

So instead of pondering over when you'll get search engine traffic, I suggest you GO to places where the traffic is, and get them to your site by all means. Post new content, launch social media campaigns, interact with possible customers, do a press release, etc.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:54 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharris3382 View Post
Sorry, I understand what your saying. I was meaning once you start getting a good base of backlinks what is the amount of time to start expecting an increase of organic traffic from search engines?

Does it take a month for these types things to start taking effect? Or a shorter or longer period? That was what I was trying to ask.
If you have just done directory submission and are sitting around waiting for some magic traffic to appear on your site you are going to fail.

You need to adopt an extensive SEO campaign to get results, and it has to be ongoing, because as the engine changes its algorithm, so too do the results themselves change.

Anyone that does directory submissions, and then expects to suddenly be #1 or even highly ranked, is in denial.

It won't take months, it will take forever.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:13 PM

My site is a little over a year old, I've submitted to directories about 2-3 months ago and I've been writing articles and other sorts of SEO practices everyday for a month or so now and I still see no differences in any amount of traffic.

Before I would get about 5 visits or so a day through search engines and I have not seen any differences, Once in a while there will be a few more but they're just referral link traffic, nothing seems to be having any effect on the page ranking or any other traffic sources.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharris3382 View Post
My site is a little over a year old, I've submitted to directories about 2-3 months ago and I've been writing articles and other sorts of SEO practices everyday for a month or so now and I still see no differences in any amount of traffic.
Keep in mind that age has a lot to do with it as well. If your competitors sites are older than yours and they started their SEO work ahead of you, they will continue to have the advantage. SEO work is something that takes a lot, and I mean I lot of work.

Just keep doing it. I have been guilty of being impatient, checking my PR every day, Webmaster Tools, etc. and it has only been a waste of time. I have to believe that if we're doing all this work, our competitors are too and we just need to keep it up.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYoungPhoto View Post
Keep in mind that age has a lot to do with it as well. If your competitors sites are older than yours and they started their SEO work ahead of you, they will continue to have the advantage. SEO work is something that takes a lot, and I mean I lot of work.

Just keep doing it. I have been guilty of being impatient, checking my PR every day, Webmaster Tools, etc. and it has only been a waste of time. I have to believe that if we're doing all this work, our competitors are too and we just need to keep it up.
Thanks for the information, it is very frustrating at times when you feel like all the work you have been doing isn't making any differences. I've seen very little to no traffic increases yet but the backlinks have been showing up which is why I was curious as to how long it usually takes before you start seeing some kind of progress.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:14 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYoungPhoto View Post

Yup, sometimes i get frustrated, when i am not see any result. Thanks your post give boost of inspiration

Old 03-05-2012, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

My site has been up for six months now and I am PR2 and at bottom of page 1 for some quite challenging keywords (dog clothes uk). It really started moving up the ranks after about 4 months. Takes a lot of hard work if, like me, you self-SEO

Old 03-05-2012, 06:59 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawpoint View Post
My site has been up for six months now and I am PR2 and at bottom of page 1 for some quite challenging keywords (dog clothes uk). It really started moving up the ranks after about 4 months. Takes a lot of hard work if, like me, you self-SEO
Wow !! how did you do that ! page rang 2 in 6months !! Will you please tell me your seo strategy

Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

In this day and age, submitting only to a hundred directories won't do you much good (unless they're the best of them all of course like botw.org, dmoz.org).

But these high authority directories are hugely limited in numbers, thus one needs to make a compromise with that and submit to as many directories as he can find.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I would focus more on writing quality content, commenting on blogs, guest blogging, and working on your own blog.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:49 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RankedZillaSEO View Post
I would focus more on writing quality content, commenting on blogs, guest blogging, and working on your own blog.
This is a good post.

By generating content in the way describe, you are giving the search engine more "food" with which to give you rankings - and you are giving your visitors more reason to stay on your site once they get there.

If you have very little content, then even if you can obtain rank there isn't very much reason for people to visit or stay.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues