Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 08-29-2012, 04:23 AM

DMOZ Listing

I read so many posts and news about DMOZ that I am extremely sceptical about submitting a website there.
However, a couple of weeks ago I went to a creative startups networking meeting in London where Doug Richard, former member of Dragons Den, was doing a presentation about how to make your website work harder for you.

And guess what he said. Registering with DMOZ is a very good thing to do if you want your website to increase its presence a bit in the search engines.

Fine with me. But how? When you wait for ages for your site to be accepted and they don't even tell you when they reject you or when they accept you.

And with so many bad comments about them all over the internet... it's really confusing.

What do you think?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 09:54 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafffo View Post
I read so many posts and news about DMOZ that I am extremely sceptical about submitting a website there.
However, a couple of weeks ago I went to a creative startups networking meeting in London where Doug Richard, former member of Dragons Den, was doing a presentation about how to make your website work harder for you.

And guess what he said. Registering with DMOZ is a very good thing to do if you want your website to increase its presence a bit in the search engines.

Fine with me. But how? When you wait for ages for your site to be accepted and they don't even tell you when they reject you or when they accept you.

And with so many bad comments about them all over the internet... it's really confusing.

What do you think?
Basically DMOZ is a just submit and forget it. Read and carefully follow the submission guidelines and if your lucky you might possibly get listed someday.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:06 AM

That's right (as above) - do not spend for ever worrying about DMOZ, once you have submitted your request then get on to the next task of SEO - if DMOZ accept you, great, but it is not the 'be all and end all' of improving your ranking.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:35 PM
v7n Mentor

As stated above, a DMOZ listing isn't going to make or break your website in the search engines.

It used-to-be considered a golden ticket to rankings (probably because Google's own directory used DMOZ listings, and also because for some time they recommended directory submissions in their webmaster guidelines highlighting DMOZ and Yahoo Dir as examples)

These days, it really is just a good link/listing.

What needs to be remembered is DMOZ is run by volunteer editors. It's not designed to be a business/commercial venture that communicates with customers. That's where most people get it totally wrong, and it is why their negative comments are all over the web. Because they were rejected.

In some cases, their websites simply weren't good enough to make the cut. It's sad but true. People are massively biased about how great their websites are, when in reality most of them are total junk, look spammy, aren't unique, offer very little to the end user, and have no real use being listed on DMOZ other than the person submitting wanting that trophy link.

In other cases people simply don't follow the guidelines when submitting. Read them, and follow them, and if your website is good, submitted in the right place with the right information, then it has a good shot.

There are two points in the guidelines that no one gets right, so I will repeat them for you, to highlight why most people simply will never get a listing for any website they submit.
  • Descriptions of sites should describe the content of the site concisely and accurately. They should not be promotional in nature. Submitting a promotional description rather than an objective, well written description may significantly delay your site from being listed or prevent your site from being listed at all.
  • Please only submit a URL to the Open Directory once. Again, multiple submissions of the same or related sites may result in the exclusion and/or deletion of those and all affiliated sites. Disguising your submission and submitting the same URL more than once is not permitted.

I would wager that more than 75% of people get rejected because of ignoring one or both of those rules.

The first one is quite simple. Don't make the description of your website promotional. You can tell someone that till you are blue in the face but their description will still include words/phrases like "the best", "the leading provider", "the greatest"... they will also include sales marketing speak trying to "sell" the product/brand. It's wrong, and it's why those submissions are easy to reject. Also, never ever ever ever ever ever ever use the phrase "... and much much more" or variants on that phrase in any directory submission that you do. It's kindergarten and its an instant rejection.

The second one states to only submit once. Simple. You submit again, because you are impatient... guess what. You won't get listed.

Read the rest of the guidelines here: http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html

If you are going to bother to submit, actually take the time to read the guidelines and give the submission the best possible chance of acceptance. Whilst that isn't a guarantee you will get in, I can guarantee if you skip the guidelines especially the two I have highlighted, you won't get in.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:05 AM

Well yes good to get listed in Dmoz but then submit move on to your next task. The issue though is the uncertainty - well with only volunteers doing it, probably good support is not forthcoming.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:10 AM

I've just watched a video on youtube, where Matt Cutts, Head of Google Webspam Division, explains a little bit about DMOZ. Quite interesting, to be honest but as he said DMOZ starts to show its age a little bit. As I am a new member to this forum so I am not allowed to post links, you can search youtube by "What role does being in DMOZ play in rankings?" , this is the name of the video.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:26 AM
v7n Mentor

Yeah it's a well known video to those of us in the know. It was on WPW in an article they wrote - http://www.webpronews.com/google-giv...t-dmoz-2011-08

MC basically stated what I've said above regarding Google previously using it for directory listings, where they ranked via PR, and also in their recommendations of submitting to directories.

DMOZ does show its age, and MC in that video simply states that it isn't given any special ranking or authority, but because it has high PR (which will carry through to category pages) it's often a good link. But, he also suggests that gaining reputable links from elsewhere are just as effective.

So when it is all boiled down, what it really means is that DMOZ is just a directory and just a link. It's not some special case. It doesn't get special attention.

He even suggests that at some point they *may* drop using the ODP descriptions in their snippets but doesn't give a timeline for it, or whether it will definitely happen.

So taking the advice of everyone here, really what you should be doing is not ignoring it, but not giving it a massive amount of your time either. You also shouldn't fret or be worried if you cannot gain a listing.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:05 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner3221 View Post
Basically DMOZ is a just submit and forget it. Read and carefully follow the submission guidelines and if your lucky you might possibly get listed someday.

yeah that right.
feel it like lucky draw.lol

Old 09-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Banned

Dmoz listing is one of best ways to get more traffic.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

DMOZ listing not as valuable as it was before.
Forget about it, concentrate on you site.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:18 AM

The method is submit a good website using a good description and title which complies with their guidelines and then just forget the listing.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:00 PM

You will lose nothing if you try submitting to DMOZ. You have to submit it then forget it. If your website got accepted, good news but if they don't accept your website, move on.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

I submitted my main website to DMOZ back in 2009 and to this day it is still not listed. I have moved on and submitted my main website to related niche directories.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupul View Post
DMOZ listing not as valuable as it was before.
Forget about it, concentrate on you site.
dmoz listing and yahoo dir still valuable.
they worth 500 normal links.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:52 PM

Following a lot of guides to get list on Dmoz.org but my website never get listed on there

Old 09-28-2012, 09:24 AM

I have one site listed there but I submitted that one 8 years ago. Also, a lot of those listings are heavily outdated. I wouldn't even bother submitting there today. Why end up on a page with lots of 404 links that never gets replaced? I think DMOZ will die by itself. It isn't maintained the way it should be + people (general public) don't really have any use for sites like that nowadays.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

I have submitted my site about 20 times to DMOZ. Always rejected.

Now my sole purpose in life is to make it online with a DMOZ listing. No just kidding. But I have given up...

Old 10-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
I have submitted my site about 20 times to DMOZ. Always rejected.

Now my sole purpose in life is to make it online with a DMOZ listing. No just kidding. But I have given up...
That's your problem right there, you submitted more then 1 time for 1 domain.

Only submit once.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Getting a listing in DMOZ has helped me, most of my backlinks are from domains with clones of DMOZ listings and these listings are all in relevant category topics for my domain.

I even submitted a request to DMOZ to update my listing, stating valid reasons why my listing should be updated...and within a few weeks, my site listing on DMOZ was updated to better reflect my site's quality and features.

Google used to use DMOZ listings to populate thier own directory, but Google has shut down their directory, to much chagrin...but thus is life.

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Old 10-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

If you will try over and over again to list your site to dmoz, it will be listed website?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Closed Thread