Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Share |
Old 08-07-2006, 07:57 AM
v7n Mentor

Strongest Directories

Everyone always wants to know what the best paid directories to submit to are. But it's hard to get an objective answer.

Bob Mutch attempted to address this by developing a list of directories with a high inbound link quality (ILQ). That's a great approach, but somewhat limited.

Seomoz recently developed a much more comprehensive page strength tool. I thought that it would be useful to find out what the strongest directories are.

I blogged about it in an entry on the strongest directories.

According to this, the strongest paid directories are:

Page Strength 10
dir.yahoo.com
www.dmoz.org (yes, I know it’s not a paid directory)

Page Strength 9
www.business.com

Page Strength 7
www.exactseek.com

Page Strength 6.5
www.elib.org
www.familyfriendlysites.com
www.uncoverthenet.com

Page Strength 6
www.botw.org
www.chiff.com
www.ezilon.com
www.gimpsy.com
www.goguides.org
www.joeant.com
www.relmaxtop.com
directory.v7n.com

Page Strength 5.5
sbd.bcentral.com
www.alivedirectory.com
uk.dir777.com
www.haabaa.com
www.qango.com
www.sevenseek.com
www.skaffe.com
directory.sootle.com
www.thisisouryear.com
www.webworldindex.com
www.wowdirectory.com

Page Strength 5
www.avivadirectory.com
www.abilogic.com
www.businessseek.biz
www.galaxy.com
www.goongee.com
www.incrawler.com
www.linkcentre.com
www.linkopedia.com
www.searchturtle.com
www.seoma.net
www.web-beacon.com

I'd be interested in what people think about this, especially the merits of this methodology or the results.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Well they are still arguing whether .edu and .gov backlinks hold any weightage

Old 08-07-2006, 10:41 AM
v7n Mentor

Well, I think that the point Matt Cutts was making is that .edu and .gov links are judged just like any other link. The algorithm doesn't give a special weighting to a link just because it's a .edu or .gov.

The page strength tool does give some weighting to .edu and .gov links. However, unlike ILQ, it looks at a lot of other factors as well, which I think makes it more accurate.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:28 AM

Aviva, thank you for this list

Old 08-08-2006, 12:17 PM
v7n Mentor

Thanks for your kind words! I've added your directory to the list.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:07 PM

well, what evidence can support the 'strongest paid directories'? what kind of experiments they did to draw the conclusion? without support, it is just another try to marktet their own directory.

show me the proof!

Average

Old 08-08-2006, 07:27 PM
v7n Mentor

Well, first of all, the tool was not created with directories in mind. So, I doubt that it was done as a marketing tool for their directory. You can find out more about the tool here:

http://www.seomoz.org/blogdetail.php?ID=1209

I'm not going to claim that the tool is perfect; however, it's the best measurement of a website's strength that currently exists.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:43 PM
v7n Mentor

PR 5 to 6 is average for a directory although you really need to look closer at the cached pages to see what is cached. Is it the topics pages or other services offered by the directory? I have seen some directories with very high PR that had very few topic pages cached but hundreds of thousands of other search related services pages cached. Looking at the cached pages and common sense can tell you more about a directory then any rating system thus far devised will tell you.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:52 PM
v7n Mentor

Thanks for your insightful comments stoner3221. I was curious what you had to say about this.

I think your comment re cached pages is becoming truer than ever in Google in the sense that it seems that Google is aggressively dropping pages of websites that don't have much trust.

That being said, I still think that there's going a big difference between a listing on a cached page of a directory with page strength 1 and a cached page of a directory with page strength 6, just as there would be a big difference in getting a listing on mypiddlyworthlessdomain.com and on google.com.

So, the two criteria really work well together.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:30 AM

Good list Aviva!

Great inside by bruce..

When taking a closer look at some directories I noticed the following:

haabaa: shows, using sitecommand, 202.000 webpage results but after 6 pages google gives out this message:
Quote:
In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 60 already displayed.
If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included.
thats just 60 pages in the google index.

I also see alot of webdirecotries not ranking for there own name, for instance: web-beacon http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...on&btnG=Search gives webtopia as first result.

I like the pagestrength tool, but imo it gives a bit too much weight on .edu and .gov and pagerank. Especially according to Mr Matt saying .edu and .gov don't have more/less impact than other links and pagerank for exsiting pages is not updated in over 5 months.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:35 AM
v7n Mentor

Thanks for your kind words!

Haabaa.com looks well indexed - I think that the issue you are raising is different. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it's something like their title tags are too similar.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:23 PM

Hi,
I think the problem with the dropped cache pages as also to do with equal content, 99% of the directories have the same description for the sites listed, this description is replicated in 100 more directories, and so in the end is all redundant content.
These directory pages are always tripping the unique content filter, so they just drop then from the index.
That’s my .2 cents
Cheers

Old 08-10-2006, 09:02 PM
v7n Mentor

That's a good point!

Old 08-11-2006, 10:08 AM

If you think about it for a search engine bot the average directory looks like a scraper site .
On my directory I create custom quality description for each site listed and I test it for uniqueness using Copyscape every week, that’s the price of quality.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ! Ask !
If you think about it for a search engine bot the average directory looks like a scraper site .
On my directory I create custom quality description for each site listed and I test it for uniqueness using Copyscape every week, that’s the price of quality.
Nice directory!

Old 08-11-2006, 01:25 PM
v7n Mentor

Submitted my site!

Old 08-13-2006, 10:57 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviva
Thanks for your insightful comments stoner3221. I was curious what you had to say about this.

I think your comment re cached pages is becoming truer than ever in Google in the sense that it seems that Google is aggressively dropping pages of websites that don't have much trust.

That being said, I still think that there's going a big difference between a listing on a cached page of a directory with page strength 1 and a cached page of a directory with page strength 6, just as there would be a big difference in getting a listing on mypiddlyworthlessdomain.com and on google.com.

So, the two criteria really work well together.
The difference is between getting link value or no link value at all. If you submit to a PR8 directory but the page you submit to is not cached and regularly what value will you get from it?

Old 08-13-2006, 03:44 PM

The directory we have just launched, we are building inbound links to all of the categories. In my opinion the lack of IBL's are the main reason so many directories are looked at as spammy. We will also make sure all the categories has proper descriptions, and are hand-editing them as soon as sites starts showing up.

In my experience enought inbound links with some age rectifies the problem with dropping to the supplemental results.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:04 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Solstad
The directory we have just launched, we are building inbound links to all of the categories. In my opinion the lack of IBL's are the main reason so many directories are looked at as spammy. We will also make sure all the categories has proper descriptions, and are hand-editing them as soon as sites starts showing up.

In my experience enought inbound links with some age rectifies the problem with dropping to the supplemental results.
That’s the not so big secret that most directory operators seem to miss. Every page has to be optimized for the search engines to provide traffic for that particular topic. Who gives a rats butt about the main page when it’s the topics in search results that bring traffic? Organic search results can be the best traffic generator.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner3221
That’s the not so big secret that most directory operators seem to miss. Every page has to be optimized for the search engines to provide traffic for that particular topic. Who gives a rats butt about the main page when it’s the topics in search results that bring traffic? Organic search results can be the best traffic generator.
Yup. It is really no secret - but it is the hardest part of building any website. Getting the right traffic. We have bought domains listed in dmoz for the right categories, and are pointing them into the correct category in our directory. That was a quick way to get relevant traffic

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues