Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 10-13-2013, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Is web directory submission really dead for back links?

Hello,

I know this is an old question but I like to ask to make sure that I won't try it anymore.

Is web directory submission really dead for getting back links?

How about good PR web directories?
How about new directories?

Should we continue using this method to gain back links?

Thanks very much!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 12:20 AM
Banned

Web directories are best for the website optimization. High PR directories sites are good for linking with the other website.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:28 AM

Hi,
According to me directory submission are really good to get back links. To get back links we need to submit the directories in niche directory submission site, the link coming from that site is more important than any other directory site.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypretty View Post
Hello,

I do not think so because still the web directories are getting good number of visitors not only visiting the sites but to post their links. You may check it yourself through alexa rank and any other portal.

Quote:

As PR is becoming the part of our past and nobody is actually know would it be updated or not but still i think the good PR directories have good reputation among the directory marketing module than that of the new directories and those having less PR.

At last i would say that keep on doing submissions on a couple of good and highly reputed web directories for link building.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:30 AM
Contributing Member

Hi,
Yes the web directories will help SEO, With lots of verifications and explanations.Today's seo post will help through some guide lines, standards for directories. There are some standards to directories. by following the guidelines it will help

Old 10-24-2013, 06:17 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Hello,

I know this is an old question but I like to ask to make sure that I won't try it anymore.

Thanks very much!
Yes, the days of submitting to thousands of so called directories set up exclusively for back link development are over.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Banned

Directory submissions is still have a strong impact for seo so it is not going to die soon

Old 10-25-2013, 04:09 AM
Contributing Member

Hi,

Web directories are not dead, actually there are set of rules for adding the links in directories. The paid directories are getting good values and backlinks

Old 10-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

not dead at all, very much alive, but like any other resource it depends on how you use it.
if you submit to 2000 directories over night using the same title and description that's definitely bad
if you submit to 5-10 directories a day, over several days, using different/unique descriptions and only submitting to the best directories, that will definitely help.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

web directory is very much helpful for SEO.Its not dead but you have to submit high PR sites and regularly(maximum 5-10 posts in a day).

Old 11-20-2013, 12:02 PM

alive alive! as long as a site has high PR, the site is important. But a few quality, high PR ranked sites that is similar to your own, is best

Old 11-21-2013, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

i am in the process of adding my website to some new business directories. do i need to vary the description in each listing.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Hello,

After providing useful content for your site, web directory submissions should probably be your first step in a search engine optimization program. You are less likely to be cheated through a web directory submission than from many of the "SEO experts" who are spreading the word about web directories being dead.

Since you don't need an SEO firm to submit your site to web directories, it's in their best interests to convince you that web directories are dangerous. Left with no alternatives other than to turn to an SEO firm to promote your website, they, in turn, will submit your site to web directories, and not do nearly as good of a job of it as you could yourself. A large number of the web directory submissions that I review are from SEO firms, probably the same ones who are tweeting about directories being bad SEO.

Good web directories are good SEO. In order to determine which web directories are good and which are bad, judge them as you would any other websites, and submit only to the ones that are of good quality. Consider recommendations from people and sites that you trust, meaning ones who are not simply trying to promote their own network of directories.

There are several lists of top directories out there. Some of them are bogus, while others are based on things like PageRank, which is no longer a reliable metric, and still others are very old and no longer valid.

Aside from being good directories in their own right, the Aviva and Jasmine directories both have lists of web directories that are reasonably reliable.

Ninety percent of the web directories on the Internet are junk. I have seen no evidence that a listing in these bad directories is going to do your site any harm, but don't waste your time or money submitting to bad directories, since they are not going to help you.

However, just because ninety percent of the web directories on the Internet are junk, it does not necessarily follow that web directories are a bad choice for search engine optimization, since the other ten percent can be your site's best friends.

Probably, ninety percent of websites, in general, are junk, but we don't scrap the whole idea of building and referring to websites. Learn to find the good ones, and support them as they will support you.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:53 PM

Use High PR directory sites that allow dofollow backlinks...those will help in your SEO.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:15 AM

not at all you can get backlinks from web directories but it will take time......thanks

Old 07-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Web directories should not be the sole focus of someone's SEO campaign, but reputable directories are still the easiest and best way for a new site to begin accumulating back links and, despite everything, back links remain important.

When I'm talking about web directories, I am not talking about the thousands of junk sites out there that are running directory scripts. Rather, I am referring to well managed, solid, and reputable web directories, and there are still quite a few, albeit outnumbered by the trash directories.

Given the often incomprehensible statements made by Google spokespeople over the years, people are afraid to offer a back link, or to ask for one, for that matter. There aren't very many site that will link to another site just because it's a good resource any longer. So it's hard for someone with a new website to begin accumulating even enough links to be found by others.

When you submit a useful site to a web directory, after paying some attention to their individual submission policies, the chances are very good that your site will be accepted, particularly if it involves the payment of a submission fee, with the acceptance odds with such directories as DMOZ or free submissions to Yahoo! Directory being exceptions.

You can submit your site to BOTW, Aviva, DirJournal, Jasmine, AMRAY, and other proven directories, and the chances are pretty good that your site will be accepted if it is useful.

The acceptance of a useful site helps to build the directory and it gives back link to a site that is in need of one. It's a win-win, and as long as you're not talking about such scams as paying someone to submit your site to a thousand web directories, or some such thing, there is no downside.

Good web directories are good SEO. That hasn't changed. What has changed is that bad web directories may actually prove to be harmful, and not only unhelpful, although I still haven't seen evidence of this on a large-scale basis.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:05 AM

Web Directories are really important in SEO. Submitting your sites to High PR directories help boost search results.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:30 AM
Contributing Member

no, directory subissions aren't dead. links are still vital and as many have pointed out in these forums, directories offer a good way for website owners/businesses to get backlinks - the question is one of quality, of course.

web directory reviews offers some really good reviews of many of the better to excellent web directories out there, and he revisits and reviews again many of the best directories a number of times. he's too modest about his contributions, so here's where you can find them: www.webdirectoryreviews.org

his general criteria are: "Aesthetics, size, intuitiveness, quality, and usefulness. In addition, I may add up to five points for extra content, beyond what is generally found in web directories, or for other qualities of a directory that are not adequately covered in other areas of my evaluation."
.....and I now count some 80+ that he has reviewed in detail. very useful and a good guide to some/many of the better ones out there, and why....

Old 10-13-2014, 01:40 PM

as far as i know if directory has good google PR then you will get one good backlink.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:44 AM

No, this technique is not dead yet if you'll select high page authority directories. Use different types of title and description to avoid duplication. There are many website authority checking tools in web

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Closed Thread