Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 04-26-2014, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozlukcuamca View Post
I have suggested my site to dmoz 3-4 times in 3-4 years but never got a positive result. I am shocked when i see very bad sites indexed there. I think they don't have a proper method of accepting the suggestions
You just admitted to breaking the Dmoz guidelines. You really need to start reading guidelines.

Quote:
An ODP editor will review your suggestion to determine whether to include it in the directory. Depending on factors such as the volume of suggestions to the particular category, it may take from several weeks to years before your suggestion is reviewed. Please only suggest a URL to the Open Directory once. Again, multiple suggestions of the same or related sites may result in the exclusion and/or deletion of those and all affiliated sites. Disguising and suggesting the same URL more than once is not permitted
If you think a website does not belong in the category or it violates Dmoz's guidelines that you never read, use there report listing feature.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014, 06:14 AM

be sure that i have read the guidelines and i offered the right category. i know that i should have offered the site only one time but i have big concerns that dmoz guys don't evaluate the applications properly. therefore i tried my chance 3-4 times but in 3-4 years

Old 04-26-2014, 01:04 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
i know that i should have offered the site only one time but i have big concerns that dmoz guys don't evaluate the applications properly. therefore i tried my chance 3-4 times but in 3-4 years
And how is breaching the DMOZ guidelines going to help you? You are specifically told to suggest the site once and that reviews can take from one day to many years.

People like you are one of the main reasons we have such a lengthy time delay Instead of one site suggestion to look at we now have 4 from you, multiply that by the other hundreds of thousands of people suggesting sites and our task has been multiplied by 4 times. In addition, you have delayed it further because each time its submitted the submission overwrites the date stamp......placing it deeper into the suggestion pool.

Then you complain because reviews take too long

Old 04-27-2014, 02:49 AM

Snooks, I don't know why people can't follow direction's. If they think a category is not getting any editor attention then they can apply to become an editor themselves if they can follow the editor guidelines.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:31 AM
v7n Mentor

Thats right Snakey and they can even list their own site if its compliant. Owning and listing your site is quite ok as long as you declare the affiliation and you treat it the same as you treat every other site. Thats all we ask

Old 04-28-2014, 05:11 AM

To all intents and purposes DMOZ is dead.

Over the last 5 years I have submitted a number of sites, some once, some several times, over a number of years.

Not an utterance from them on any account and given the nature of the sites that I have submitted for myself and on behalf of others, as well as others I'm aware of I cannot believe for one second that not one of them was good enough, especially when looking at some of the really outdated crap that is on there.

Googles ranking algorithm is transparent and straightforward in comparison.

AOL who? 1990 when?

Old 04-29-2014, 12:09 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Well tell the 2k or so people that submit each day......it would make editing so much easier

Old 05-02-2014, 12:23 AM
Contributing Member

I've tried to submit to the norwegian directory, no luck

Old 05-02-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInManchester View Post

Over the last 5 years I have submitted a number of sites, some once, some several times, over a number of years.

Not an utterance from them on any account and given the nature of the sites that I have submitted for myself and on behalf of others, as well as others I'm aware of I cannot believe for one second that not one of them was good enough, especially when looking at some of the really outdated crap that is on there.

Googles ranking algorithm is transparent and straightforward in comparison.

AOL who? 1990 when?
Dmoz is making changes this year to the directory so it will get better. One of the editors mentioned this already in a thread. Also did you see the report listing feature? You said you found bad sites so report them for a review by an editor.

You said you submitted some sites more then 1 time. You clearly broke the rules on that idea you had.

Perhaps you didn't follow all the submission guidelines or there are no active editors in the categories you submitted to.

Getting a listing in Dmoz is not always that important. There are other directories to submit to.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:56 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
I am shocked when i see very bad sites indexed there. I think they don't have a proper method of accepting the suggestions
Keep in mind we have MILLIONS of sites.......maybes, just maybes a hundred or so change hands each day, or change focus or become crappy for some other reason.....have you ever thought of that? That means if just 100 go bad in a day, its like 40K sites per annum that need updating manually.

Thats a helluva lot of work and i would suggest way more than 100 go bad each day. Its simply a case of we need more volunteers, especially when people do mutiple submissions which multiples our workload.

Webmasters doing multiple submissions, such as you, are your own worst enemy because you bog things down, but then come here and complain.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:58 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
I've tried to submit to the norwegian directory, no luck
Lets be honest....we dont have many Norweigen Editors so you can expect things to take a long time. Why dont you volunteer to be an Editor. ?

Old 07-15-2014, 09:29 AM

hi all,

i have listed my site on DMOZ about 1 month ago... i have just checked but at this moment is not still listed

Someone know more or less how much time needs?

Old 07-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccapo77 View Post
hi all,

i have listed my site on DMOZ about 1 month ago... i have just checked but at this moment is not still listed

Someone know more or less how much time needs?
I've been waiting on a few for three or four years now, so you never can tell. It all depends on whether it's a category that has an active editor. Some categories are well managed, others haven't been updated in as long as seven years.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:36 AM

I have submitted website on DMOZ but didn't get any response.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajakta.tiwari View Post
I have submitted website on DMOZ but didn't get any response.
Then Dmoz is doing there job correctly. They never email the listing owner to tell them if the listing is approved or rejected.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

I do not think that DMoz Listning is very important for getting best public relation or what ever.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:56 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
I do not think that DMoz Listning is very important for getting best public relation or what ever.
Your opinion is most welcome but we also would love an explanation, or a reason for your feeling this way

Old 07-30-2014, 07:17 AM

However, it is outrageous to have to wait all this time .... but what do they do?

Old 07-30-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccapo77 View Post
However, it is outrageous to have to wait all this time .... but what do they do?
What do you mean?

If you are tired of waiting, become a volunteer editor and follow there editorial guidelines for reviewing listings.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:17 AM
Contributing Member

from all domains that I tried to upload a single one has been dmoz listing and has taken years. I really do not know if it will continue working...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Closed Thread