Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 07-31-2014, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

I submitted my site 3 months ago and haven't heard anything back.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 03:16 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by runbch View Post
Why are you expecting to hear something back?

Old 07-31-2014, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runbch View Post
You won't hear anything back because they don't notify submitters. It may or may not appear in their index at some point.

DMOZ is staffed by volunteers. As such, some parts of the directory are more quickly maintained than others. I have a few sites that I submitted to DMOZ about two years ago, that still haven't found their way in; but these were submitted to small localities categories that haven't been updated since 2007, so it may well be that no one will ever get to it. On the other hand, I have had other sites accepted within a reasonable amount of time, and others added that I hadn't even submitted.

Submit your site to whatever you determine is the most appropriate category, giving it a title and a description that adheres to the DMOZ guidelines, and then forget about it. It may or may not be accepted but, either way, you're out only the amount of time that it took you to submit it.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:01 AM
Banned

It is very difficult to submit a site to Dmoz. I submitted my site, but there is no positive result.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:03 AM

I now have lost hope

Old 09-05-2014, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webn1110 View Post
It is very difficult to submit a site to Dmoz. I submitted my site, but there is no positive result.
It's not hard to submit your website. Just follow there guidelines and wait. If your website does not been there editorial guidelines then you need to do a overhaul on your website.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccapo77 View Post
I now have lost hope
I can't speak for what they do these days, but when I was a meta there, we didn't reject sites just because the title or description were off; we'd just change the title or description.

The problem is that most DMOZ editors don't enjoy working the queue. Even when they may be active in a category, they prefer to go out and look for sites to add.

I understand the frustration, however. I have submitted sites to categories that haven't been updated since 2007; yet, although at least one of these categories has zero sites listed and the others have only one or two, they've sat there for quite some time now.

The thing to do with DMOZ submissions is to do your best to follow their guidelines in submitting your site, then forget about. It didn't cost you anything so you're only out whatever time it took you to submit it. They don't owe any of us a listing.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

DMOZ is not working well for me

I was trying to submit in the directories and it was not working well for the time. I have been stopped submitting to Dmoz from the time.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyFraser View Post
I was trying to submit in the directories and it was not working well for the time. I have been stopped submitting to Dmoz from the time.
You should only submit your website 1 time according to there rules.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:49 AM

I think may be you selected the wrong category due to this reason it's not submitted

Old 09-19-2014, 03:50 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRinaku View Post
I think may be you selected the wrong category due to this reason it's not submitted
Very unlikely to be the reason

Old 09-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRinaku View Post
Submitting to the wrong category might increase the wait time, because sometimes editors just want to work the easy stuff in the queue (right category, appropriate description, title, etc.) but I agree that it's unlikely to be rejected just because it was submitted to the wrong category.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:03 AM

DMOZ i havent tried yet. let me try if it works i will let you know.

Thanks,
[removed], Penang

Try again. I have submitted

Last edited by snakeair; 09-24-2014 at 05:28 AM. Reason: merged posts - use edit feature

Old 09-24-2014, 03:01 AM
Contributing Member

Dmoz keep adding sites to your directory?.

I've signed up years and is not expected to appear

Old 09-24-2014, 03:51 AM
v7n Mentor

If a site is suggested to the wrong category it will be moved to what the editor believes is the correct category. This can delay reviews because after waiting in one suggestion pool, it is then moved to another pool where it will sit until an Editor volunteers to do reviews on sites in that suggestion pool.

The only time that sites would be deleted rather than moved is when multiple spam suggestions are intentionally made to random and incorrect categories.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:34 AM

I guess they are too busy to reply to everyone to tell them a submissions has been approved

Old 09-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronfell View Post
I guess they are too busy to reply to everyone to tell them a submissions has been approved
From the beginning, the idea behind the Open Directory Project (DMOZ) was that its purpose wasn't to serve site submitters but to build the directory. I sort of liked that as an editor, not so much as a submitter. They did have a forum where people could communicate with editors, but I'm not sure if that's still live or not, or even whether they will discuss specific site submissions, as I imagine that could cause quite a mess.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:00 AM
v7n Mentor

The forum you are talking about is still active and can be viewed at http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/

Specific details about a submission will not be undertaken because it only seems to end up in an arguement as to why or why not a site isnt listable. To be honest....we dont need the stress Most people can read the submission guidelines and the information explaining what sites are or are not listable.........the rest of the equation is simply time.

We dont know when an Editor will choose to look at the suggestion pool in that category, it may be tomorrow, it may be 12 months from now. We have limited Editorial resources and i believe we have over 5 million sites across 1 million categories.

Ans we are just volunteers doing what we do, as a hobby

Its simply a matter of time.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:47 AM

DMOZ takes time to approve a listing. But you must select proper category, good title and unique meta description. Wait and check later. Hope you'll be listed soon

Old 11-06-2014, 03:32 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
DMOZ takes time to approve a listing. But you must select proper category, good title and unique meta description. Wait and check later. Hope you'll be listed soon
Good title???? Nope.....just the correct title, that being the site or company name.

Unique meta description???? Wrong again.....we dont care one bit about your meta description. As we state in the submission guidelines, describe the site and what is found on the site WITHOUT hype and descriptive words. You are not writing an advertisement.

Selecting the correct category is a bit harder. But in all cases drill down as far as possible! If suggesting to regional, dont waste your time just suggesting at the top level, DRILL DOWN to your specific locality of relevence. That means the SUBURB your site is relevent to. Unless you do this you are merely delaying your sites chance of being reviewed.

Just follow the guidelines on the dmoz site

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Closed Thread