Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 11-15-2014, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

Dmoz is not dead but they do not accept easy a website in they'r listings... spamming your website for inclusion will not help but rather make it worse for you and have them simply deny the application you send.
The reason Dmoz takes long time to get you listed in, is because they are looking to add websites with good content and relevant, not every website that gets suggested gets in.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 04:05 AM
Contributing Member

google has dmoz away from the algorithm, right?

Old 11-17-2014, 11:38 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by webongo View Post
google has dmoz away from the algorithm, right?
It was never part of the Google algorithm

Old 11-19-2014, 03:33 AM
v7n Mentor

I dont think it is part of the algo, but in previous times Google used a clone of the DMOZ database as their directory.

I believe that DMOZ is now simply a "Respected Directory" and that the link holds no value greater than any directory with the same PR. It certainly isnt the magic link that many people believe it to be.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:57 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozlukcuamca View Post
I have suggested my site to dmoz 3-4 times in 3-4 years but never got a positive result. I am shocked when i see very bad sites indexed there. I think they don't have a proper method of accepting the suggestions
You are absolutely right, I was totally confused to seen it, Even the site was new also NA PR,

Old 11-22-2014, 03:33 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
You are absolutely right, I was totally confused to seen it, Even the site was new also NA PR,
You dont think its possible that the site wasnt listed like that....but that it changed hands or the domain name was expired and someone re-registered before we realised? I mean, we do have 5 million sites and it takes a bit of time to check them all

Regards PR, we dont care about a sites PR, we only care about the site having some unique content.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:15 AM
Contributing Member

All right I was not joking, It serious I tried 6 to 12 time to submit on DMOZ but today's I never receive any response By DMOZ.
Quote:
the domain name was expired and someone re-registered before we realised?
. I don't think that Some one Submit on DMOZ & than domain is expired ETC. The Approve sites have just normal Meta Data also the specification about site they keep so short.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

once you register your site you just need to wait it can take couple of months to process your request.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

OMG! This is really asking for Huge time, Thank you Sir to provide this useful information, Couple of month process would you Explain exact months ?

Old 11-22-2014, 11:52 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikazmi View Post
All right I was not joking, It serious I tried 6 to 12 time to submit .
Do you think they might have banned you for spamming?
Did you read the guidelines that you agreed too about submitting your site only once?
How do you think any directory (not just DMOZ) treat those who do not follow the guidelines that they agree to?

Old 11-22-2014, 05:50 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
All right I was not joking, It serious I tried 6 to 12 time to submit on DMOZ but today's I never receive any response By DMOZ.
I can only echo Belindas' excellent comments.

You deliberately broke numerous rules, then you ticked the little box that states you read them and agree to them and then you still suggested the site yet again.

What can i say............ im afraid it verges on stupidity because it can only be detrimental for you.

Quote:
I don't think that Some one Submit on DMOZ & than domain is expired ETC
Believe what you wish my friend, then go to numerous other forums and you will see "DMOZ Listed" domain names for sale. The problem is that on most occasions our auto tools have detected the content issue and the site has already been removed from the live directory. That doesnt stop people trying to scam money from people desperate to be in DMOZ

Last edited by Snooks; 11-22-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:51 AM

I submited some webs to DMOZ several month ago, some of them has not published until the moment, but some of them yes. I think it really depends on the category and the volunteer, some volunteers work more often than other, but all of them do a great job.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:42 AM

I added a link aaaages ago, and still nothing

Old 11-26-2014, 03:09 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
I added a link aaaages ago, and still nothing
You didnt add a link. You merely SUGGESTED a site.

DMOZ has not and does not offer a listing service for websites. We are cataloging the web and compiling it into a useful resource for net surfers to use when looking for information on specific subjects. Editors may or may not use the suggestion pool as one avenue for finding new sites for the directory.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:11 AM
Contributing Member

I am also submitted my website in dmoz before 3 months. but still not approved. Have any rules to submit in dmoz?

Old 12-01-2014, 04:24 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnetindia View Post
Have any rules to submit in dmoz?
Of course they are. They are the rules that you agreed you had read and understood when you suggested your site!

Old 12-01-2014, 04:27 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the Dmoz advice on here. I've got a couple of sites that I'm trying to submit and this has really helped.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

I do not think DMOZ is providing a good user experience! Most of people agreed on that. If they wanted to solve the issue. They can do that. But, again no one knows exactly what is happening there.

I hope the owner(s) of that Directory can look into the complains of some folks.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:21 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by belkadi35 View Post
I do not think DMOZ is providing a good user experience! Most of people agreed on that.
I have never seen users complain about DMOZ!
All I see is a lot of webmasters whining that they can't get a free link for their sites.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:44 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
I do not think DMOZ is providing a good user experience! Most of people agreed on that. If they wanted to solve the issue. They can do that. But, again no one knows exactly what is happening there.

I hope the owner(s) of that Directory can look into the complains of some folks.
Webmasters get annoyed because it takes a long time to get included, if they are included. The problem is that we are not here to provide a listing service for webmasters.

We look into and investigate EVERY abuse complaint that is recieved.

The major problem is that webmasters such as you are happy to moan, groan and complain but they dont thank the VOLUNTEERS that are simply undertaking theeir hobby in their free time and they dont sit back and think how hard it is to control a directory with over 5 MILLION sites and around 4 MILLION categories.

Thats why we tend to get a bit narky when people whinge...... those very whingers dont normally volunteer to help. BY the way....WE know exactly what is happening there and EVERY editor knows what is happening. What gives Webmasters that arent helping, arent voluteering to donate their time and simply want a link, the right to know what is happening? They didnt earn the right to know

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Closed Thread