Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 02-14-2016, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

I have a awesome blog because I made it. In fact all of us have good blogs because we have invested hours working on it and doing other stuf

Just submit your website to Dmoz by following the guidelines and pray it'll get approved. If it doesn't get approved then move on to another web directory to submit to. It's not the end of the world if you don't get accepted.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

First, the parties are adding to dmoz must be very high quality. Secondly, the addition continues. I sometimes wait several months for the nice entry. Not always successful all depends on the moderator.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:19 AM

We have been waiting for ever to get listed but 3 years in and still nothing. Why is relisting so bad say twice a year?

But ours is good quality yet nothing?

Old 02-17-2016, 11:09 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithaVan View Post
We have been waiting for ever to get listed but 3 years in and still nothing. Why is relisting so bad say twice a year?
But ours is good quality yet nothing?
1000's of new sites get added to DMOZ each month. Maybe 10 000 get submitted each month. Do the maths. They do not have enough editors. They never had enough.

If you do not like that situation, then try and ask for a refund.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:48 AM

so is buying an expired domain in the same niche with a DMOZ listing pure gold?

Old 02-17-2016, 11:50 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Nope.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Birdie had the best answer.

I don't believe in buying expired domains because there is no way you could re-create the previous website that was previously used and achieve the same backlinks to get it's currenty ranking.

In time Google will lower the ranking of the expired domain and then it's a waste of your money because you starting from scratch.

Dmoz is all about quality, go read there guidelines someday.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

Don't think the are working anymore, I registered year ago and I didn't get any reply what so ever.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:12 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houby View Post
Don't think the are working anymore,
Lots of new sites are regularly added! The problem is that a lot more sites are suggested than can be reviewed!
Quote:
I registered year ago and I didn't get any reply what so ever.
Why are you expecting a reply? They never reply.
Ask for a refund if you are unhappy with the service that they are providing you.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

But if i want to submit my site in company section, but my business built not on company name. Ofcourse i have to add in company section: fo example roofing and etc. But Moderator will take a look on my site and will not find any company name in contacts and will skip my web page. What i have to do then?

Old 02-23-2016, 02:51 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeannhopson69 View Post
Nice post...
Im assuming that you are simply building your post count because your comment adds nothing to the discussion

Quote:
But if i want to submit my site in company section, but my business built not on company name. Ofcourse i have to add in company section: fo example roofing and etc. But Moderator will take a look on my site and will not find any company name in contacts and will skip my web page. What i have to do then?
Read the guidelines, NOWHERE does it state that you need to have a company name to suggest the site. The title of the site is simply what your wbsite is called, OR, if you have a company name then that is what the title will be. You should all read the suggestion guidelines, not doing so is why there is so many problems. If people take the time to read them they will know if there site is. or is not listable and will get a guide as to how to describe and title the site, which i assure you, goes a long way as it makes the suggested site stand out and attracts the Editors attention. Suggesting with spammy titles and super hyped up descriptions also attracts attention....but the type that you do not want.

Last edited by Snooks; 02-23-2016 at 02:57 AM.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:04 AM
Contributing Member

I don`t know if I have answered to this topic in the past (I know...my memory sucks). If I didn`t answer, here is my opinion:

Submitting your website to dmoz is a waste of time. Less and less people use online directories and why should you when Google can do a better job for you in 90% of the cases.
I also tried to submit some websites to dmoz in the past and even though I have followed all the rules they have, my application didn`t result in a listing on the online directory.
Funny thing is that I saw other websites listed in a totally wrong category. So...how come my application didn`t go through but wrong applications had success?

Old 02-23-2016, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

I have a much experience with DMOZ directory and most of the sites i have submitted had been approved. The problem with DMOZ is that sometimes you have to wait up to 1 year. However, 2 of my sites never get listed and i suspect that is quality issue. If your website is high quality and have a contact page with your address and telephone you should be fine.
I have investigated your specific case and found that there are only 4 websites in this particular category. That makes me think the category has not been updated very often. You can try to submit your site to a different category and and see what happens.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Thompson View Post
I have a much experience with DMOZ directory and most of the sites i have submitted had been approved. The problem with DMOZ is that sometimes you have to wait up to 1 year. However, 2 of my sites never get listed and i suspect that is quality issue. If your website is high quality and have a contact page with your address and telephone you should be fine.
I have investigated your specific case and found that there are only 4 websites in this particular category. That makes me think the category has not been updated very often. You can try to submit your site to a different category and and see what happens.
It has nothing to do with the quality of the website. All the websites that I tried to add were top quality with all the contact info and I had no luck.
It looks more that they have an arbitrary system when accepting websites.
DMOZ is a waste of time in my opinion.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:48 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the quality of the website. All the websites that I tried to add were top quality with all the contact info and I had no luck.
It looks more that they have an arbitrary system when accepting websites.
DMOZ is a waste of time in my opinion.
Im sorry you feel that way because we try and build a really good directory for the Web Surfer. Note i say Websurfer and NOT Webmaster. They may have been top quality sites but if they have no UNIQUE information, if the same information can be found in existing sites in the category, then that may well have been the issue. I dont know for sure because i do not know the url's concerned.

Out of interest, was one of the sites the HCF SIte in your signature?

Quote:
Now how would you investigate HIS SPECIFIC Case, i know that you are not a High Level DMOZ Editor so you could not acces the information. Telling him to submit to the wrong category on purpose is stupidity because it will probably sit there and wait for ages, then, when an Editor does decide to edit there he will have to move it to where it should have gone to in the first place and if he doesnt have editing permissions there, then the waiting game starts all over again......that certainly isnt smart

I believe that your comments are based upon your opninion and not our GUIDELINES.The number of sites in the category probably does have an influence on how often Editors travel in or around there doing editing, but lets be fair:
  1. We have 4 million Sites or more in the directory
  2. We have roughly 4 million categories (I belive)
  3. We have a couple of thousand Editors
This means that things do take a long time because of limited resources and the fact we do this as a hobby, not a job and certainly not to help Webmasters improve their SEO.

Last edited by Snooks; 02-23-2016 at 08:57 PM.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:43 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
Im sorry you feel that way because we try and build a really good directory for the Web Surfer. Note i say Websurfer and NOT Webmaster. They may have been top quality sites but if they have no UNIQUE information, if the same information can be found in existing sites in the category, then that may well have been the issue. I dont know for sure because i do not know the url's concerned.

Out of interest, was one of the sites the HCF SIte in your signature?
No..the last one was an online shop. In that niche there were several other online shops with no original content whatsoever(some of them were poorly done).
Thanks for taking your time to read the thread and responding.
I think that people are making too much of a big deal out of dmoz. Waiting 12 months for a listing? Really? This is not the Holy Grail people. Have some dignity.
(I don`t have anything personal with you or dmoz, it`s just my honest opinion)

Old 02-24-2016, 03:31 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
No..the last one was an online shop. In that niche there were several other online shops with no original content whatsoever(some of them were poorly done).
Thanks for taking your time to read the thread and responding.
I think that people are making too much of a big deal out of dmoz. Waiting 12 months for a listing? Really? This is not the Holy Grail people. Have some dignity.
(I don`t have anything personal with you or dmoz, it`s just my honest opinion)
I agree totally Mate, DMOZ is not a magic golden link........it's just a decent solid link but nothing special.

And the waiting time isnt 12 months, sadly, it varies from 1 day to many years it is just a toss of the coin of when an Editor chooses to look in a certain category suggestion pool. In all honesty, many Editors are like me and we dont really look in the suggestion pools, we prefer to bypass the spam and just list sites when we see good ones whilst we are surfing or cruising the net. I have probably listed over 10k sites that were never suggested in the first place.....they are companies i see in the paper, hear on the radio, shops i have bought from or sites that just contained information i needed. They are the gems

Cheers

Old 02-24-2016, 03:35 AM
Contributing Member

We tried to add the listing to Dmoz,
But we found it was too technical
And hard to understand.
Is there an easy way?
Regards.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:51 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
I agree totally Mate, DMOZ is not a magic golden link........it's just a decent solid link but nothing special.

And the waiting time isnt 12 months, sadly, it varies from 1 day to many years it is just a toss of the coin of when an Editor chooses to look in a certain category suggestion pool. In all honesty, many Editors are like me and we dont really look in the suggestion pools, we prefer to bypass the spam and just list sites when we see good ones whilst we are surfing or cruising the net. I have probably listed over 10k sites that were never suggested in the first place.....they are companies i see in the paper, hear on the radio, shops i have bought from or sites that just contained information i needed. They are the gems

Cheers
I see, and if I think about it, I completely understand you. Seeing how forums are overwhelmed with spam, I can only imagine how the suggestion pool might look.
And considering you are doing volunteering work, I really appreciate what you are doing

Old 02-24-2016, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

in this whole forum has any one received any email that confirms that your website is listed with dmoz? I want to know that are they accepting sites or we just wasting our time ... because I never listen form them as accepted .. any one ?

Last edited by Mark Thompson; 02-24-2016 at 10:09 AM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Closed Thread