Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 05-04-2016, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

How to check that which directory website is good or bad?

Hello Guys,

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-06-2016, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandresh786 View Post
Hello Guys,

Here are the things I will check myself first thing.

I look around the web directory and just look at the over-all look of it. Does it look like a cheap design or a pre-made one? Is there ton's of AdSense blocks or other ads just on the homepage? Stay away from those directories for sure.

Check random listing on the web directory for quality. This means, click on the listing URL and view that website. Now come back to that listing and see if the Title is spot on and is the description of the website good. If you notice any keyword stuffing in the listing then this means the directory owner has no clue how to run a web directory.

Is there any empty categories? A good directory owner would manually ad websites to his or her directory to fill in categories with no listings in there. It helps hide the fact that you may not get a lot of submission to the directory but each category has listing in it.

Does the web directory have a pending listing, approve listing stat on the homepage? You can tell a low quality web directory would always have a few hundred to a thousand listing waiting to be approved. This means, some idiots use a auto submitter and submit poor listings to the directory automatically. I'd stay away from those web directories.

I like the paid web directories because they take pride in the quality of each listing on there directory. If the website itself is a nice quality one, they will not only approved your submission, they will edit the title and description to make it pefect.

If a web directory does not have a submission guidelines for you to follow when filling in your website information leave that web directory because the admin will just approve anything including the kitchen sink.

Read this too.

https://allbloggingtips.com/director...-seo-strategy/

Old 05-07-2016, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

As I always do, I'll check that website on Ahrefs and check these statistics: Domain Rating, URL Rating, Organic traffic. Then I access few articles and check out if this is a spam land, with many people comes and leave meaningless comments.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:43 AM

That's a good idea.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandresh786 View Post
Hello Guys,

Sounds like you are just looking for "good" web directories to link drop. IMHO it would be better to take the time to find the directories your target audience are likely to visit instead. The point of doing this is to either make people aware of your product(s) and/or make sales, is it not?

Old 05-08-2016, 12:21 PM

I didn't mention but when I am in the mood to submit to web directories (1 or 2 times a year) I seek out niche directories related to my niche or very close to it and find the best suited category to submit my listing to.

Or I email the owner and ask him or her which category to submit to or create a new one. When you submit to good directories, not only follow there submission guidelines but make sure you are selecting the best suited category. The less work the admin has to do with your listing the best chance you get it will be approved A.S.A.P

Don't submit to general web directories,, niche ones are better in this current time.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Thank you all for your reply..i will consider all above points before submitting it.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

To check whether a web directory is good, you need to check out the designated PR ranking of the website. There are many PR checkers in the web, just Google search them for easier reference.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay02 View Post
To check whether a web directory is good, you need to check out the designated PR ranking of the website. There are many PR checkers in the web, just Google search them for easier reference.
Forget the PR when checking to see if a web directory is a quality one, I look at random listings, titles and descriptions (are they relavant to destination website), is a listing useful to the public or a waste of space.

Does the directory staff follow its own editorial guidelines for approving a listing on there directory?

If the directory is using a pre-made theme, I never think twice and leave that directory. Directory owners that care a lot about the web directory industry will have a custom theme and more stuff on the directory then just categories and a menu bar.

Examples of ones I love.

http://www.jasminedirectory.com/
http://www.alivedirectory.com/
http://www.abilogic.com/

Old 09-21-2016, 03:04 AM
Contributing Member

You can check Domain Authority, Page Authority, Dofollow, Doorway pages, Clocking etc before starting your submission on the directory sites.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:19 AM
Banned

check the DA, PA and PR of directories.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragD View Post
check the DA, PA and PR of directories.
What tools do you suggest then? Sounds like you are an expert in SEO so backup your reply. We are looking for quality replies.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:58 PM

Everyone here is stating to check the PA and DA prior to submitting links. Can someone help explain the following?
1.) Are Web Directories in general still useful to help increase Page Rank or is this outdated?
2.) If they are useful, why wouldn't you want to simply submit your link to As Many As Possible as opposed to ones with high ranks?

Old 10-29-2016, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

well i heard that in new penguin google dislike the directory sites links, is it applicable on business listing directory sites as well? any expert please?

Old 10-29-2016, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekUrdu View Post
well i heard that in new penguin google dislike the directory sites links, is it applicable on business listing directory sites as well? any expert please?
Penguin goes after webspam.

So, business listing directories that are full of spam would not be a good idea.

On the other hand, you need to build some citations for your business, particularly if you want to promote locally. I would suggest that you make the descriptions as unique as possible for these citations so they do not look spammy and use good relevant business directories for these citations.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:50 PM

So I was originally using the exact same description on all Business Directories, HTMLBasicTutor are you saying this is a bad idea?

Old 10-31-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_CYW View Post
So I was originally using the exact same description on all Business Directories, HTMLBasicTutor are you saying this is a bad idea?
It is. Use a different one for each listing on a directory. Be sure to have at least 1 off your keywords in each description.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_CYW View Post
Yes it is.

Not only bad for SEO but also bad for attracting customers.

Think about it. You see/read ads. When you (as a consumer) see the same as plastered all over you start to ignore the ads (similar to banner blindness).

In the old days when placing classified ads worked well to be successful with this form of advertising you needed do some preparation ahead of time and have a number of versions of the ad ready to post. Not only original content but also various lengths. Even though classified ads don't work so well these days there is a lesson to learn from this applicable to today - marketing techniques and how to draw people to your site.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Closed Thread