Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-15-2017, 06:46 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
It's 15th of March, the site is still up, the suggest a site links are still accessible. Shut down called off?
The editors have not been told why it is still live. We have moved everything over to a new url and we are working on getting it operational and launching the site under a new name and at the same time, changing and improving how the directory runs.

There is so much happening behind the scenes.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
The editors have not been told why it is still live. We have moved everything over to a new url and we are working on getting it operational and launching the site under a new name and at the same time, changing and improving how the directory runs.

There is so much happening behind the scenes.
Thanks & good to know from someone at ground zero! I'm just curious to know though, who is it that communicates with the editors on these matters? Is it someone from AOL? Someone from Verizon?

Old 03-15-2017, 10:13 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Communications take place from AOL direct to DMOZ ADMINS.

I believe that we have 6 Admins and they are the only people that communicate directly with AOL. I do not believe that i have ever heard of Verizon in any discussions regarding DMOZ, except in forums like here.

Quote:
I did n't know that before
Bigpage Bangladesh, it is obvious that you are merely building your post count and not offering anything to this discussion.

This is a great community, take the time to get involved and you will be welcome. Posts such as the one you just made will not get you very far at all

Old 03-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

We nailed that person.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:13 AM
Contributing Member

The end of an era for us old timers. I clearly remember when DMOZ was one of the top places to list on and it wasn't easy.

Slim Your Face - Get rid of unwanted fat from your face

Old 03-22-2017, 12:44 AM
Contributing Member

The inevitable has come to pass. RIP & goodbye. Hope to see it in a new avatar sometime! http://searchengineland.com/dmoz-has...-closed-271530

Old 03-31-2017, 02:56 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

@snooks

I assume the Editors may already know about this fake dude:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300428754.html

Old 04-01-2017, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

omg, that is really bad. Can that person even use the domain?

Old 04-02-2017, 10:18 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Thanks for the heads up, he cant legally use that and i can assure you, AOL never take a step backwards and have money behind them.....its silly to invest time into something you wont be able to keep.

At last count there are 30-40 similar sort of sites and they are being attended to one by one.

When the "new DMOZ" is actually live i promise to come here and advise you immediately. Things are taking shape, still lots to do but its looking good. It's got a unique, weird but sort of cool name and the rebuild is pretty exciting....and boring for some others (lol).

Thanks again for the heads up

Old 05-11-2017, 05:50 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Don't let this go off the boil. The work still continues.

We shall be back, still not certain under which banner or even if there might be some changes....you will have to wait and see, but the editors are still here and work is going on to create that new directory from the ashes of the old DMOZ.

You like us will have to be patient, but it will happen and fingers crossed not tooo far into the distant future.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:17 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymously View Post
Don't let this go off the boil. The work still continues.

We shall be back, still not certain under which banner or even if there might be some changes....you will have to wait and see, but the editors are still here and work is going on to create that new directory from the ashes of the old DMOZ.

You like us will have to be patient, but it will happen and fingers crossed not tooo far into the distant future.
Thats a good news.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:03 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

And when we are back, we shall continue to need new editors. As snooks said earlier it is difficult to get new, keen, honest editors.......but if you think you are that and want to help to build the largest human edited directory our doors will be open for new editors when we are back up and running. We can't deal with new applications before that because we do need some of our tools so that senior editors can do some checking into new applications.

WE hope we have a queue of potential new editors, all keen and raring to go, once we get the word from our tech guys that we have that new site with it's new images. I hope you all are as excited about this as we old hardened editors are. I have been doing this for over 17 years!

Old 05-12-2017, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I Hope you guys are able to make a come back

Good luck! would be great if you adapt the web directory to the new age, like using social signals and other ways to mesure a site relevance

Kinésio Tapes - Best Price/Quality ratio

Old 05-12-2017, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

17 years that's long time you been doing it would love to be a part for sure.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:29 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Portela View Post
I Hope you guys are able to make a come back

Good luck! would be great if you adapt the web directory to the new age, like using social signals and other ways to measure a site relevance
There are many new features under discussion, not sure what will come out in the end, but the editors now have full control over the project, for good or ill, so we can control our own destiny. But that does mean taking many editors from many countries and getting consensus!

The first task is to get the old directory working on a new site. As you know there are many static mirrors, including our own, but to have a site that is editable and sites can be offered and editors statistics gathered etc etc is quite a massive task and some of our tech guys have been working flat out to get that happening. I think they have done a tremendous job and I don't think the new site is to far away.

When we get there if you do want to join the project remember, as the late Jim Noble often said on here, treat it like a job application. We are looking for people who can read guidelines and observe them, spell correctly and be able to express themselves correct grammatically (think I might fail with that expression!!!) and above all don't tell lies. More when we get to that point.

I read earlier someone saying 'what's the point of a directory if one can't get in'? Well if the site was spam, who wants a directory full of that, if we just did not get round to it being listed, then how can anyone complain when they don't lift a finger and spend their spare time helping out??? We have several million sites listed, but millions more could be added with people coming forward to help and if the directory is not worth their time, why are they complaining about it?

We are getting ready to go again, you will are welcome to join us soon.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymously View Post
There are many new features under discussion, not sure what will come out in the end, but the editors now have full control over the project, for good or ill, so we can control our own destiny. But that does mean taking many editors from many countries and getting consensus!

The first task is to get the old directory working on a new site. As you know there are many static mirrors, including our own, but to have a site that is editable and sites can be offered and editors statistics gathered etc etc is quite a massive task and some of our tech guys have been working flat out to get that happening. I think they have done a tremendous job and I don't think the new site is to far away.

When we get there if you do want to join the project remember, as the late Jim Noble often said on here, treat it like a job application. We are looking for people who can read guidelines and observe them, spell correctly and be able to express themselves correct grammatically (think I might fail with that expression!!!) and above all don't tell lies. More when we get to that point.

I read earlier someone saying 'what's the point of a directory if one can't get in'? Well if the site was spam, who wants a directory full of that, if we just did not get round to it being listed, then how can anyone complain when they don't lift a finger and spend their spare time helping out??? We have several million sites listed, but millions more could be added with people coming forward to help and if the directory is not worth their time, why are they complaining about it?

We are getting ready to go again, you will are welcome to join us soon.
I will be looking for news about you guys I hope all goes well.

I never tried to list a webpage there because i fear google will downgrade more and more the directories and we like or not they own the internet. Them and facebook.

Kinésio Tapes - Best Price/Quality ratio

Old 05-16-2017, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Portela View Post
I never tried to list a webpage there because i fear google will downgrade more and more the directories and we like or not they own the internet.
I'm not aware of Google having an issue with DMOZ listings? Where did you get this "fear" from?

Old 05-18-2017, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I can't wait to seen the newly born Dmoz with new changes how this are run. At least the folks who are officially incharge of Dmoz operations have control to make changes at any time with no tape to cut through.

Just make sure the useless editors are gone. Weed out the bad ones if you can somehow.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:09 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

It is pretty exciting Snakey

The internal forums are going crazy with discussions and brain storming about every possibility and everything we can do to make it more modern, more beneficial and more relevent to the web as it is today.

It will be great to see what we finally end up with

Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
The internal forums are going crazy with discussions and brain storming about every possibility and everything we can do to make it more modern, more beneficial and more relevent to the web as it is today.
It's amazing how such a complex effort is being coordinated on a global scale. Do you editors ever meet up in person/have video calls or does this entire effort take place through written communication?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues