Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2017, 06:46 AM
Snooks's Avatar
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 03-06-10
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,124
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Quote:
It's 15th of March, the site is still up, the suggest a site links are still accessible. Shut down called off?
The editors have not been told why it is still live. We have moved everything over to a new url and we are working on getting it operational and launching the site under a new name and at the same time, changing and improving how the directory runs.

There is so much happening behind the scenes.
 
Reply With Quote

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #42 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2017, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 07-02-16
Posts: 1,022
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
The editors have not been told why it is still live. We have moved everything over to a new url and we are working on getting it operational and launching the site under a new name and at the same time, changing and improving how the directory runs.

There is so much happening behind the scenes.
Thanks & good to know from someone at ground zero! I'm just curious to know though, who is it that communicates with the editors on these matters? Is it someone from AOL? Someone from Verizon?
 
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2017, 10:13 AM
Snooks's Avatar
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 03-06-10
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,124
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Communications take place from AOL direct to DMOZ ADMINS.

I believe that we have 6 Admins and they are the only people that communicate directly with AOL. I do not believe that i have ever heard of Verizon in any discussions regarding DMOZ, except in forums like here.

Quote:
I did n't know that before
Bigpage Bangladesh, it is obvious that you are merely building your post count and not offering anything to this discussion.

This is a great community, take the time to get involved and you will be welcome. Posts such as the one you just made will not get you very far at all
 
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 03-15-2017, 11:13 AM
snakeair's Avatar
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 12-31-07
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 54,771
iTrader: 3 / 100%
We nailed that person.
__________________
Staff @WPArena.com
 
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2017, 02:13 AM
sanusense's Avatar
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 10-24-12
Location: 22.8000° N, 86.1833° E
Posts: 704
iTrader: 0 / 0%
The end of an era for us old timers. I clearly remember when DMOZ was one of the top places to list on and it wasn't easy.
__________________
Fish Finder - How do fish finders work

Slim Your Face - Get rid of unwanted fat from your face
 
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2017, 12:44 AM
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 07-02-16
Posts: 1,022
iTrader: 0 / 0%
The inevitable has come to pass. RIP & goodbye. Hope to see it in a new avatar sometime! http://searchengineland.com/dmoz-has...-closed-271530
 
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2017, 02:56 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 03-29-04
Posts: 1,713
iTrader: 0 / 0%
@snooks

I assume the Editors may already know about this fake dude:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300428754.html
 
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2017, 12:53 AM
snakeair's Avatar
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 12-31-07
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 54,771
iTrader: 3 / 100%
omg, that is really bad. Can that person even use the domain?
__________________
Staff @WPArena.com
 
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Snooks's Avatar
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 03-06-10
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,124
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Thanks for the heads up, he cant legally use that and i can assure you, AOL never take a step backwards and have money behind them.....its silly to invest time into something you wont be able to keep.

At last count there are 30-40 similar sort of sites and they are being attended to one by one.

When the "new DMOZ" is actually live i promise to come here and advise you immediately. Things are taking shape, still lots to do but its looking good. It's got a unique, weird but sort of cool name and the rebuild is pretty exciting....and boring for some others (lol).

Thanks again for the heads up
 
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2017, 05:50 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 02-14-08
Location: UK
Posts: 1,491
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Don't let this go off the boil. The work still continues.

We shall be back, still not certain under which banner or even if there might be some changes....you will have to wait and see, but the editors are still here and work is going on to create that new directory from the ashes of the old DMOZ.

You like us will have to be patient, but it will happen and fingers crossed not tooo far into the distant future.
__________________
______________________________________________
I was a DMOZ editor. I will be an editor in the soon to be NEW human edited directory. My opinions are my own.
 
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2017, 03:17 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 07-26-09
Posts: 100
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymously View Post
Don't let this go off the boil. The work still continues.

We shall be back, still not certain under which banner or even if there might be some changes....you will have to wait and see, but the editors are still here and work is going on to create that new directory from the ashes of the old DMOZ.

You like us will have to be patient, but it will happen and fingers crossed not tooo far into the distant future.
Thats a good news.
__________________
Webhost.UK.Net | Best UK Web Hosting
Fully Managed Cloud VPS Hosting
 
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2017, 04:03 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 02-14-08
Location: UK
Posts: 1,491
iTrader: 0 / 0%
And when we are back, we shall continue to need new editors. As snooks said earlier it is difficult to get new, keen, honest editors.......but if you think you are that and want to help to build the largest human edited directory our doors will be open for new editors when we are back up and running. We can't deal with new applications before that because we do need some of our tools so that senior editors can do some checking into new applications.

WE hope we have a queue of potential new editors, all keen and raring to go, once we get the word from our tech guys that we have that new site with it's new images. I hope you all are as excited about this as we old hardened editors are. I have been doing this for over 17 years!
__________________
______________________________________________
I was a DMOZ editor. I will be an editor in the soon to be NEW human edited directory. My opinions are my own.
 
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2017, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 04-23-17
Location: Braga/Porto Alegre/Berlin/Copenhagen
Posts: 92
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I Hope you guys are able to make a come back

Good luck! would be great if you adapt the web directory to the new age, like using social signals and other ways to mesure a site relevance
__________________
Mipmed - Smart Medical Solutions

Kinésio Tapes - Best Price/Quality ratio
 
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2017, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 07-26-09
Posts: 100
iTrader: 0 / 0%
17 years that's long time you been doing it would love to be a part for sure.
__________________
Webhost.UK.Net | Best UK Web Hosting
Fully Managed Cloud VPS Hosting
 
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2017, 06:29 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 02-14-08
Location: UK
Posts: 1,491
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Portela View Post
I Hope you guys are able to make a come back

Good luck! would be great if you adapt the web directory to the new age, like using social signals and other ways to measure a site relevance
There are many new features under discussion, not sure what will come out in the end, but the editors now have full control over the project, for good or ill, so we can control our own destiny. But that does mean taking many editors from many countries and getting consensus!

The first task is to get the old directory working on a new site. As you know there are many static mirrors, including our own, but to have a site that is editable and sites can be offered and editors statistics gathered etc etc is quite a massive task and some of our tech guys have been working flat out to get that happening. I think they have done a tremendous job and I don't think the new site is to far away.

When we get there if you do want to join the project remember, as the late Jim Noble often said on here, treat it like a job application. We are looking for people who can read guidelines and observe them, spell correctly and be able to express themselves correct grammatically (think I might fail with that expression!!!) and above all don't tell lies. More when we get to that point.

I read earlier someone saying 'what's the point of a directory if one can't get in'? Well if the site was spam, who wants a directory full of that, if we just did not get round to it being listed, then how can anyone complain when they don't lift a finger and spend their spare time helping out??? We have several million sites listed, but millions more could be added with people coming forward to help and if the directory is not worth their time, why are they complaining about it?

We are getting ready to go again, you will are welcome to join us soon.
__________________
______________________________________________
I was a DMOZ editor. I will be an editor in the soon to be NEW human edited directory. My opinions are my own.
 
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2017, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 04-23-17
Location: Braga/Porto Alegre/Berlin/Copenhagen
Posts: 92
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymously View Post
There are many new features under discussion, not sure what will come out in the end, but the editors now have full control over the project, for good or ill, so we can control our own destiny. But that does mean taking many editors from many countries and getting consensus!

The first task is to get the old directory working on a new site. As you know there are many static mirrors, including our own, but to have a site that is editable and sites can be offered and editors statistics gathered etc etc is quite a massive task and some of our tech guys have been working flat out to get that happening. I think they have done a tremendous job and I don't think the new site is to far away.

When we get there if you do want to join the project remember, as the late Jim Noble often said on here, treat it like a job application. We are looking for people who can read guidelines and observe them, spell correctly and be able to express themselves correct grammatically (think I might fail with that expression!!!) and above all don't tell lies. More when we get to that point.

I read earlier someone saying 'what's the point of a directory if one can't get in'? Well if the site was spam, who wants a directory full of that, if we just did not get round to it being listed, then how can anyone complain when they don't lift a finger and spend their spare time helping out??? We have several million sites listed, but millions more could be added with people coming forward to help and if the directory is not worth their time, why are they complaining about it?

We are getting ready to go again, you will are welcome to join us soon.
I will be looking for news about you guys I hope all goes well.

I never tried to list a webpage there because i fear google will downgrade more and more the directories and we like or not they own the internet. Them and facebook.
__________________
Mipmed - Smart Medical Solutions

Kinésio Tapes - Best Price/Quality ratio
 
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2017, 02:09 PM
LMD's Avatar
LMD LMD is online now
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 11-04-12
Location: Where my wife tells me to be. :)
Posts: 4,356
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Portela View Post
I never tried to list a webpage there because i fear google will downgrade more and more the directories and we like or not they own the internet.
I'm not aware of Google having an issue with DMOZ listings? Where did you get this "fear" from?
__________________
SEO Friendly Responsive Web Design in Stouffville / Markham
Affordable Web Design by In Front Media in York Region
 
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2017, 10:49 AM
snakeair's Avatar
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 12-31-07
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 54,771
iTrader: 3 / 100%
I can't wait to seen the newly born Dmoz with new changes how this are run. At least the folks who are officially incharge of Dmoz operations have control to make changes at any time with no tape to cut through.

Just make sure the useless editors are gone. Weed out the bad ones if you can somehow.
__________________
Staff @WPArena.com
 
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2017, 01:09 PM
Snooks's Avatar
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

 
Join Date: 03-06-10
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,124
iTrader: 2 / 100%
It is pretty exciting Snakey

The internal forums are going crazy with discussions and brain storming about every possibility and everything we can do to make it more modern, more beneficial and more relevent to the web as it is today.

It will be great to see what we finally end up with
 
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 PM
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 07-02-16
Posts: 1,022
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
The internal forums are going crazy with discussions and brain storming about every possibility and everything we can do to make it more modern, more beneficial and more relevent to the web as it is today.
It's amazing how such a complex effort is being coordinated on a global scale. Do you editors ever meet up in person/have video calls or does this entire effort take place through written communication?
__________________
Disclaimer: I do not endorse Artist management companies in Mumbai or Top Wedding Planners in Mumbai. I am just helping a friend.
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Congress closes early due to weather ScriptMan Controversial Social Issues 2 03-07-2013 02:30 AM
PayPal Closes Money Market Fund vectro Online Payment Processing 0 06-29-2011 02:21 PM
RIP Typewriters: Last Manufacturer Closes Its Doors snakeair Tech Talk 10 04-30-2011 02:14 PM
How to pop up a message box and redirect when someone closes a window? virtualmisc Web Design Lobby 1 10-15-2009 03:52 AM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:23 PM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Escalate Media




Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.