Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 07-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott View Post
You don't know Ebonics? I'm thinking of getting the SEO blog translated into Ebonics to target that niche.
LOL, go for it.

Last edited by tdd1984; 07-23-2007 at 08:25 PM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2007, 10:25 PM

John - I'm suprised to see you taking an attack route on this, especially a personal one. The last few meetings and phone calls we've shared have always been so positive and friendly...

I think it's perfectly fair to disagree that rankings for certain phrases aren't a good indicator of link value - I think they are, other think they aren't and disagreeing on these topics seems fine. But, attacking me and SEOmoz seems out of character...

I also believe someone insinuated that we're charging for promoting directories somewhere. That's certainly not the case. We have a list of directories that we think are valuable (mostly college professors' lists, library resources, specific industry directories and that sort) but we sourced them privately and never requested a listing fee.

As for Aviva - I'm in direct email touch with Jeff, who runs Aviva and we're certainly not antagonistic. I'm actually trying to help him sort out why his site doesn't rank for terms and phrases that it obviously should be ranking for.

I'm hopeful that this debate could switch gears from a "how much does SEOmoz suck" to a "what criteria are valuable to determine if certain directories are worth submitting to/paying for" discussion.

Also - someone else noted that our page strength tool has been having some accuracy issues. We were running at about 60-65% accuracy (which is dismal, I admit) and are up to about 80-85% currently (which is still bad, but we're trying our best). The popularity of the tool is what's causing so many problems, as I discuss (and our lead developer details) here - http://www.seomoz.org/blog/whiteboar...i-had-a-hammer

Sorry I check in here so infrequently - feel free to email me if you've got specific concerns.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by randfish View Post
John - I'm suprised to see you taking an attack route on this, especially a personal one. The last few meetings and phone calls we've shared have always been so positive and friendly...

I think it's perfectly fair to disagree that rankings for certain phrases aren't a good indicator of link value - I think they are, other think they aren't and disagreeing on these topics seems fine. But, attacking me and SEOmoz seems out of character...

I also believe someone insinuated that we're charging for promoting directories somewhere. That's certainly not the case. We have a list of directories that we think are valuable (mostly college professors' lists, library resources, specific industry directories and that sort) but we sourced them privately and never requested a listing fee.

As for Aviva - I'm in direct email touch with Jeff, who runs Aviva and we're certainly not antagonistic. I'm actually trying to help him sort out why his site doesn't rank for terms and phrases that it obviously should be ranking for.

I'm hopeful that this debate could switch gears from a "how much does SEOmoz suck" to a "what criteria are valuable to determine if certain directories are worth submitting to/paying for" discussion.

Also - someone else noted that our page strength tool has been having some accuracy issues. We were running at about 60-65% accuracy (which is dismal, I admit) and are up to about 80-85% currently (which is still bad, but we're trying our best). The popularity of the tool is what's causing so many problems, as I discuss (and our lead developer details) here - http://www.seomoz.org/blog/whiteboar...i-had-a-hammer

Sorry I check in here so infrequently - feel free to email me if you've got specific concerns.
Welcome back Rand, long time no see.

Last edited by tdd1984; 07-23-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E View Post
2nd for SEO blog, and there blog posts generally rank well high.
Dave - Just to emphasize my point-- I write an article titled " Google and Relevancy and Role of Modern Web Directories " -- few days back and my blog is fairly new.( not an authority site like SEOMOZ) -- but I am already on # 12 for the term "Role of Web Directories". I know Nobody would search for that term-- but not bad either for a new blog.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Role+...&start=10&sa=N
DC - http://72.14.235.104/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestoptimized View Post
I was just pointing out that jhnrang was wrong about the overture numbers.
I almost never use overture anymore because it is out of date (I am pretty sure I read that the data is now over 6 months old but I might be wrong) and it is not accurate.
I can agree with you here. Overture figures are not correct and quite Old. But so are all other online tools. They can at best give an indication -- am I right?

Old 07-24-2007, 01:00 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Hi Rand -- nice to see your response. But I would just like to voice my concerns about issues that is bringing SEOMOZ/You in conflict with directory owners.
I know everybody is entitled to his/her opinion. But it is also true that --"you get what you ask for".
When you think Aviva Directory -- is not a quality directory --there will always be concerns raised against validity or integrity of SEOMOZ. Because Aviva directory must rank among the Top 10 of all web directories online -based on its link-quality, listing quality and the way Jeff market it.

If you think a directory is not good -just because it has little SERPs -- check
Directory Dump Web Directory -- type ******* directory as keywords --you will get it within top 100-- for as many terms as you type.

Quote:
Thats really commendable. But I think Jeff does not need all that SERPs. A directory's main role is to help other sites RANK. Jeff is doing more than that.

Quote:
It will be really nice if you go FIRST AT THIS TOO. Very eager to know what is your criteria --of a quality web directory that you pay for.

Just a hint-- SERPs of a particular directory comes outside top 10 points -the way I value a Quality Directory.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:02 AM
Individualist

Quote:
You shouldn't consider it a personal attack. I am attacking a post, but not you personally. In fact, more than an attack it is a defense of Aviva, whose livelihood was attacked.

Quote:
I do disagree with using that criteria to judge a web directory. There are more useful and meaningful criteria. And again, I did not attack you personally or SEOmoz as an organization. I did attack the statement issued by you and yours that attacked Aviva.

If you think I was anything other than restrained in my response, I would suggest you re-read your attack on Aviva. It was entirely uncalled-for, an the tone of the attack was demeaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randfish
I never said SEOmoz sucks, but I do understand the sentiments of members who said that. You viciously attacked a member of this community. If somebody attacked you without provocation, we would defend you in the same manner.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

If you didn't resign yourself to just posting your thoughts on SEOmoz, you could have a hand in clarifying your points and steering the debate.

Good luck though. I've been posting on the subject for several weeks now (here, at DP, at vilesilencer and other places) and few directory owners seem interested in engaging the subject.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:54 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:

It was me Yes it is very dissapointing to see false results again & again especially when a payment is required to use the tool. Lets not discuss about the accuracy percentage but, as customers we want to see it functioning 100% accurately.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:36 PM

John - very glad to hear we're discussing subject matter and not attacking one another. I know that line gets blurred, particularly when I say that a directory doesn't provide value (when its owner clearly derives their livelihood from submissions).

I will still argue that rankings are an excellent way to detect the value of a site in its ability to pass link juice. At least for Google, every bit of hands-on experience combined with our tests on nonsense terms and phrases suggests that of all the elements one could possibly use to judge the value of a link, that site's own rankings for its targeted terms/phrases and, in particular, its rankings for the terms/phrases you want to target are at the top of the list.

If you've got some sites or testing pages to show off that would debunk this, I'd be thrilled to see it (obviously).

Old 07-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Banned

Cool

I believe when we talk about avia directory, we talk about solid promotion. When we talk about v7n we see link popularity, great promotion, and alot of knowledge.
Sorry seomoz/ randfish never heard of you to today, but im sure you have a good site, because i guess you have a pr 7. My goal on the board is # 1 serp position , and trust me i have alot of that.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:19 PM

Er your site does rank in the top 500 for "Information Web Directory".

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...+Web+Directory

Also John I think that is a valid way to measure how well a page rankings by taking the title or part of the title.

Now common sense tells us you don't take one word and see how a site ranks for it but I think taking your title "Information - Avivia Web Directory" and removing the Aviva out of it and seeing how you rank is very fair.

Look at Rands site title.
SEO - Search Engine Optimization | Read SEOmoz, Rank Better

Here is how he rankings:

SEO #25
Search Engine Optimization #19
Read SEOmoz #1
Rank Better #1

The title tag is one of the optimization items that Search Engines give the most weight to. In Rands survey of 37 SEO experts the title tag was ranked the highest with a rating for 4.9 out of 5.
http://www.seomoz.org/article/search-ranking-factors#f3

Seeing how a site rankings for their title tags tells you a lot about the authority a site has -- if the title tag is completive.

Also that doesn't mean looking to see the number of results as blue and pink dogs has a page results of 2.9 million.
http://www.google.com/search?q=blue+and+pink+dogs

But put the title into quotes and you will see there only 9 pages.
http://www.google.com/search?q="blue+and+pink+dogs"

Putting a key phrase in quotes or searching using the allintitle:keyword will show give you a better idea how competitive the key phrase is.

For example title optimization has the following results
61 million no quotes
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=title+optimization
40k in quotes
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+optimization"

And blog titles has the following results
47 million no quotes
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=blog+titles
110k in quotes
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="blog+titles"

My blog http://seo.seocompany.ca/ rankings on the first page for both these terms just based on on-page optimization.

That tells you my blog has good authority.

I think this was Rands point. To show that not very many directories have high ranking authority by showing that they don't rank well for competitive phrases they have in their title tags.

So while it smarts to have him name your site out on his point making, it is a valid point in my opinion.

While I think this is a valid point it is not my experience that having high ranking authority is needed to give value to inbound links from a site. ~40% to 60% of my $415k income last year was from link building with directories so I can say that I have experience in this area. I find that getting links from directories are not only "Google blessed" links but they are the best bang for the buck links out there.

Directories that give multiple deep links where you can put the key phrase you are targeting with out having to add your domain or company name in the anchor text works the best.

Your Aviva Directory is one of the directories I put my clients in and while it may or may not have high ranking authority and its categories pages may or may not rank high for the title tag phrase -- it still provides value for the price.

So what I would do is look at category titles on your directory and see how they rank. Best to look for 2 or 3 word phrases that have 30k plus results when they are in quotes. This will tell you a lot about the authority your directory has.

The following will help you to rank better for your titles.

1. Put only the key phrase you are targeting in your title tag only.
2. Put the same key phrase in the URL, meta description/keywords, h1/h2 tags, bold in the first paragraph.
3. Do internal linking to the page with the same key phrase in the anchor text.

Last edited by bobmutch; 07-24-2007 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Mooo

Old 07-24-2007, 11:53 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=bobmutch;657316]Er your site does rank in the top 500 for "Information Web Directory

Bob mutch since im a local and regional directory i wonder what i rate in those keys. local and regional web directory
local and regional internet directory
regional web directory
local and regional
These are my type keywords, because i have local and regional searches.

Last edited by rankland; 07-25-2007 at 12:02 AM.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:55 PM

Also I would like to say calling a persons testing methods dishonest is very close to a personal attack and border line unprofessional even in the hostile post-rage SEO forum world.

It's one of the reasons I don't post much any more on SEO forums. The post-rage made me sick and the lack of ops monitoring the post-rage made me sick to : )

Old 07-24-2007, 11:59 PM

>>>Bob mutch since im a local and regional directory i wonder what i rate in those keys. local and regional web directory
regional web directory
local and regional

Check with Google and you tell us.

Last edited by bobmutch; 07-25-2007 at 12:03 AM.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Contributing Member

hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmutch View Post
Also I would like to say calling a persons testing methods dishonest is very close to a personal attack and border line unprofessional even in the hostile post-rage SEO forum world.

It's one of the reasons I don't post much any more on SEO forums. The post-rage made me sick and the lack of ops monitoring the post-rage made me sick to : )
I'd have to agree, I have been attacks several times in the forums, but anymore I just kind of laugh about it, or I'm like hmm interesting.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Individualist

Quote:
That tells you my blog has good authority.
In itself, I don't believe it tells you it has authority. I believe it tells you that you have good optimization. Does your site have authority? Yes, but that and ranking for words in your page titles is two very different things.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Individualist

Quote:

I did not say the method was dishonest. I said their conclusion was dishonest.

They stated:
Quote:
Check the links to the directory - do they appear legitimate and valuable, e.g. For Aviva - 907,819 to the domain, 683,573 to the homepage. They're at close to a million links, but can't rank for even 5-6 word phrases in their title tags... Something's funny.
And as you pointed out, Aviva does indeed rank in the top 100 for the keywords in the title, even when they are butchered.

And Bob, you think referring to Aviva's work as "funny" isn't a personal attack?

Old 07-25-2007, 12:07 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
>>>Bob mutch since im a local and regional directory i wonder what i rate in those keys. local and regional web directory
regional web directory
local and regional

Check with Google and you tell us.
well the last time i checked i was more in the top 10 in those keys.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Contributing Member

Quite Honestly

Quite honestly I think every one should just drop the whole ore deal, remove the blog post over at seomoz, and remove the forum post at v7n if its going to cause this much conflict, which I don't think there no need for that, but in this controversy thats it creating maybe that should be what happen, so then every one can just move on and forget about it hopefully.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:13 AM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd1984 View Post
Quite honestly I think every one should just drop the whole ore deal, remove the blog post over at seomoz, and remove the forum post at v7n if its going to cause this much conflict, which I don't think there no need for that, but in this controversy thats it creating maybe that should be what happen, so then every one can just move on and forget about it hopefully.
Why? Aren't you being a bit dramatic? We are having a friendly discussion of how to evaluate web directories, not a fight.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Closed Thread