Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Share |
Old 08-17-2007, 04:29 AM
Contributing Member

Question Yahoo UK free listing vs Paid listing

I spoke to yahoo directory support yesterday as I was trying to buy my way in to the UK directory and their credit card system was failing to take my money.

The guy on the end of the phone said UK directory submissions were free and they would be happy to take an email from me to list my site.He also mentioned the UK site also takes online submissions, so I did this and will wait and see what happens.

US customers still had to pay $299, but all of my sites are tld's (.net/.com) etc So how would the yahoo man know where I was from by my email?

After some research of my competitors lisitings in Yahoo Dir, they all seem to be listed in the global listings and not the UK ones, they are all UK based though. Some UK listed sites dont turn up in the dir searches for yahoo.com so which is best for me as I never go to yahoo.co.uk ?

Its all very annoying, I cant (even if I try and pay) get into yahoo.com directory, my listings in UK directory will be good if they get accepted, but no guaruntee.

Am i worrying about nothing or is Yahoo Directory still a big part of SEO as we know it?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillfire View Post
I spoke to yahoo directory support yesterday as I was trying to buy my way in to the UK directory and their credit card system was failing to take my money.

The guy on the end of the phone said UK directory submissions were free and they would be happy to take an email from me to list my site.He also mentioned the UK site also takes online submissions, so I did this and will wait and see what happens.

US customers still had to pay $299, but all of my sites are tld's (.net/.com) etc So how would the yahoo man know where I was from by my email?

After some research of my competitors lisitings in Yahoo Dir, they all seem to be listed in the global listings and not the UK ones, they are all UK based though. Some UK listed sites dont turn up in the dir searches for yahoo.com so which is best for me as I never go to yahoo.co.uk ?

Its all very annoying, I cant (even if I try and pay) get into yahoo.com directory, my listings in UK directory will be good if they get accepted, but no guaruntee.

Am i worrying about nothing or is Yahoo Directory still a big part of SEO as we know it?
You are worrying about nothing, from my testing the Yahoo Directory doesn't have any more SEO boost than any other Authority Directory.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:59 AM
Contributing Member

Just spoke to yahoo person no2, he said and I quote -

'You must be joking, we only take a few % of the free requests, most we dont even check as it would take forever, if you want to get listed, you will have to pay'

They have fixed the UK payment page as well, so now we can all pay.

I agree with cornbread though after much deliberation and looking under stones I dont know how much weight a yahoo directory listing can hold, I do though think its a good box to tick, so have fronted the cash. Better to be safe than sorry eh?

Old 09-14-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillfire View Post
Just spoke to yahoo person no2, he said and I quote -

'You must be joking, we only take a few % of the free requests, most we dont even check as it would take forever, if you want to get listed, you will have to pay'

They have fixed the UK payment page as well, so now we can all pay.

I agree with cornbread though after much deliberation and looking under stones I dont know how much weight a yahoo directory listing can hold, I do though think its a good box to tick, so have fronted the cash. Better to be safe than sorry eh?
When you have some data available pls let us know if it was worthing top pay for the inclusion (if your website traffic increased).

Old 09-17-2007, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

data: We have had 3 hits from dir.yahoo.com in the last 4 days!

I will post the monthly stats here. I can see just from looking though that the overall traffic from yahoo is up, just those 2 from the dir.

It might help yahoo search listings then? anyone got any previous experience with the yahoo directory driving serp traffic?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues