Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Share |
Old 08-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Banned

Here’s a thought

Here’s a thought. Google and Yahoo are in direct competition, right? They are both out to make money. And we all do pretty much what ever Google tells us to do since they provide the majority of most websites traffic. Are you still with me?

Why wouldn’t Google severely discount links in the Yahoo directory to the point that listing there would be worthless for anything other than the little amount of click through traffic they would provide. That would make a lot more webmasters less inclined to list there and at $299 a pop, per year that would put a small dent in Yahoo’s bottom line.

Or has Google already done this?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

because google is a professional company and would not manually over-rule a site to put them out of business.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:09 PM

Google likes those links in the Yahoo directory as Yahoo has edited them and deemed them to be of good quality. The $299 slows down spammers a bit too. So Google will use Yahoo's quality control efforts for their benefit.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Which is a good idea from Google, Using Yahoo means many sites listen in Yahoo Directory are of good quality and Google likes this, Also in a way it means Google does not have to do Yahoo's job

-Dan

Old 08-27-2007, 08:31 AM

Yahoo is left in an interesting position. The better they make their directory, the better Google will be. If they detour Google in some way then Yahoo would have less of a presence within Google's SERPs. I guess Yahoo should include Google results in their results and see you blows up first.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarr View Post
Google likes those links in the Yahoo directory as Yahoo has edited them and deemed them to be of good quality. The $299 slows down spammers a bit too. So Google will use Yahoo's quality control efforts for their benefit.
But I thought Google doesn't like paid links? The web sites in the Yahoo Directory aren't any better than 50 or so other paid directories. Plus I haven't seen Google give the web sites listed in the Yahoo Directory any boost in the SERPS.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
But I thought Google doesn't like paid links? The web sites in the Yahoo Directory aren't any better than 50 or so other paid directories. Plus I haven't seen Google give the web sites listed in the Yahoo Directory any boost in the SERPS.
I don't think they mind edited, relevant links, just paid links that are unrelated. I need to advise my body who's got a great server side coding site (PR > 6) to get rid of the lingerie ad.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:07 PM
v7n Mentor

Yahoo! only add few 100 sites a week to their Directory and given that many are not paid, Google discounting links from the Yahoo! Directory as they are in competition with them is not going to any any financial affect on Yahoo!

As for Google not liking paid links - Matt Cutts cleared up the paid directory issue in his blog (its not a problem) and Google also recommend the Yahoo! Directory in their webmaster guidelines.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues