Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Share |
Old 09-06-2007, 08:40 AM

How my site will be listed in DMOZ...???

How my site [link removed] will be listed in DMOZ.ORG ..

i have submitted 2 weeks back...

Thks,
Anil

Last edited by chicgeek; 09-06-2007 at 05:56 PM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2007, 01:03 PM
v7n Mentor

Its not listable

Old 09-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anil99 View Post

Thks,
Anil
Don't expect too much when will you be listed in DMOZ.. Just my advice...

Because there are lots of webmasters tried but they failed...In order to be listed the editors must approved if they didn't you will never be listed....

So instead you can submit to quality directories rather than DMOZ... example is jayde.com

Last edited by chicgeek; 09-06-2007 at 05:57 PM.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

Thks,
Anil
It won't be because it doesn't provide any quality unique content.

Last edited by chicgeek; 09-06-2007 at 05:57 PM.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Thks,
Anil
Only 2 weeks ago? I heard you can wait even 6-12 months. Even worse, if no editor is available for the category to which you submitted the site will wait forever.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond007 View Post
Even worse, if no editor is available for the category to which you submitted the site will wait forever.
Rubbish. Where did you get that information from?

Old 09-07-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
Just one of the many articles on the same subject available on the net:
Quote:
DMOZ does NOT have as many editors as stated on the front page. “over 4 million sites - 74,719 editors - over 590,000 categories”. It has a LOT less. This number is the amount of editors since the beginning. Most of these are no longer editing, or edit once in a blue moon. If your category has no editor, this will be indicated by a “Volunteer to edit this category” link at the bottom of the category page. If your category has no editor, it will take a VERY long time for a Meta editor to get around to it.
Source URl: http://www.redflymarketing.com/blog/...mission-guide/

Old 09-08-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Are you denying it? Most categories are looking for volunteers and there is plenty of feedback that good sites get submitted but never listed. Are you saying most categories waiting for volunteers have no submissions waiting?

Old 09-08-2007, 03:10 AM
v7n Mentor

NO category is without an editor. Every category can and is edited by an editor in a higher category. There are greater than 200 editors that can and do edit in every category.

bond007 claimed "if no editor is available for the category to which you submitted the site will wait forever." and that claim is simply not true.

tbarr claimed "Most categories are looking for volunteers and there is plenty of feedback that good sites get submitted but never listed. " You are implying that there is a relationship between the amount of time a site waits and if an editor is listed for the category is not and thats simply not true. I now you say that (and you have no evidence) and I know you claim there is plenty of feedback that this is the case (but you can;t actually provide any evidence to back that up.

Given that editors are under no obligation to use the suggested sites when they are looking for sites to list, a suggested site could easily wait forever in a category with a named editor.

The simply facts are that a site will not be listed because there is no named category editor ... it pretty dumb to claim otherwise . Where do you think the sites currently listed in a category without a named editor come from????

Old 09-08-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
NO category is without an editor. Every category can and is edited by an editor in a higher category. There are greater than 200 editors that can and do edit in every category.

bond007 claimed "if no editor is available for the category to which you submitted the site will wait forever." and that claim is simply not true.

tbarr claimed "Most categories are looking for volunteers and there is plenty of feedback that good sites get submitted but never listed. " You are implying that there is a relationship between the amount of time a site waits and if an editor is listed for the category is not and thats simply not true. I now you say that (and you have no evidence) and I know you claim there is plenty of feedback that this is the case (but you can;t actually provide any evidence to back that up.

Given that editors are under no obligation to use the suggested sites when they are looking for sites to list, a suggested site could easily wait forever in a category with a named editor.

The simply facts are that a site will not be listed because there is no named category editor ... it pretty dumb to claim otherwise . Where do you think the sites currently listed in a category without a named editor come from????
It will be great if you can provide us with (counting only good sites that can be listed):
1. average time to wait before being listed in a category with a named editor
2. average time to wait before being listed in a category with no editor

Sorry, but if you're saying that these times are equal I will not buy that.

BTW, please don't take my account ('forever') literally but as 'a very long time'. A website will have very little advantage if it is listed in a matter of years.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:10 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond007 View Post
It will be great if you can provide us with (counting only good sites that can be listed):
1. average time to wait before being listed in a category with a named editor
2. average time to wait before being listed in a category with no editor
That information is not available as you have DMOZ confused with a listing service and a serious misunderstanding of how DMOZ works.

A directory that reveiws and lists sites is a listing service. DMOZ does not do that (never has). I do not know where people get this expectation of DMOZ being a listing service from.

The role of an editor at DMOZ is to build a category. To do that editors use many sources for sites - searching Google; newspaper advertisments; following links on other sites; personal knowledge of the industry; suggested sites; etc. The very worse and most inefficent way to find sites is from the suggested pool of sites.

Editors are free to use whatever source of new sites they like - they are under no obligation to even look at, let alone use the suggested sites. That does not mean they don't. When I was an editor I would scanned the ones suggested since I last logged in for one that looks promising. If ther was a new suggestion that caught my eye. I would review it and ignore the rest until in the mood to go through them.

So a site may actually languish in the suggested pool forever in a category with or without a named editor --- just depends on what the editor wants to use for the source of new sites.

Whne I was an editor, I was named as the editor in two categories, but had 60 something categories below those that had no named editor --- I probably spent more time in those unamed categories than the named one (mainly because idiots would submit to the category with me as a named editor rather than the appropriate deeper one).

Over half the sites that get listed in DMOZ were never suggested in the first place.

All you do by suggesting a site to DMOZ is increase the chance that an editor may come across it and review it --- that is all.

Last edited by Birdie; 09-09-2007 at 02:23 AM.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:00 PM

Birdie,
That data is available, it may not be easily compiled but submission date and edit/publish action dates are logged.

BTW, when people say list they do mean in DMOZ speak edit with an end result of publishing.

Also, I find it to be a good practice to handle things once. If I was to see a site suggested I would edit/publish it or delete it or leave a comment on it. I also wouldn't volunteer to edit a site that attracts listings from "idiots" unless I was ready to hit delete a few times.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:18 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarr View Post
Also, I find it to be a good practice to handle things once. If I was to see a site suggested I would edit/publish it or delete it or leave a comment on it. I also wouldn't volunteer to edit a site that attracts listings from "idiots" unless I was ready to hit delete a few times.
How I used to do it, is that when I logged on, I would scan the list of sites in the pool (which come up as a list on yoru control panel), usually just looking for the newly suggested ones - I would then click on and review those that caught my attention. My attention was not caught by marketing hype in the suggested description (ie probably submitted by someone looking for a listing service). My attention was caught by those who's title and description looked guideline compliant (ie probably submitted by someone who took teh time to read the guidelines). If my attention was not caught by any of the sites, I would then turn to more productive means of finding and listing new sites.

Its actually hard work going through all the suggested sites, reviewing them and rewriting the title and description of the few that were actually listable. I just prefered to leave thme for others editor who might be more inclined to do this. One of my main sources for new sites to list was I signed up for Google alerts for the keywords related to the categories -- probaly 75% of the sites I listed were found that way.
Quote:
That data is available, it may not be easily compiled but submission date and edit/publish action dates are logged.
You right - it would be available if someone felt inclided to go through it. I just do not see what purpose it would serve apart from raising unrealistic expectations about DMOZ being a listing service.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Banned

It is not eas to get listed in DMOZ. You need to follow their guidelines in submitting a site.

Quote:

Thks,
Anil

Old 09-11-2007, 12:10 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinanie View Post
It is not eas to get listed in DMOZ. You need to follow their guidelines in submitting a site.
Yes follow the guidelines, but the site that started this thread is not going to be listed even if they followed the guidelines.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Its hard to be there and it'll take a very long time before you get listed at dmoz. So long that you're gonna forget that you've tried to submit there...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues