Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Discuss web hosting related stuff.

Share |
Old 09-16-2004, 10:35 PM

Your take on control panels!

Hello everyone,

We know about various CP’s in the market like plesk, helm, cPanel etc. but decided to use a self-designed one as that way we could design it the way it suited our services and also were able to help out the customers much better in terms of answering their support queries.

So, Just wondering what is your opinion, a third party or a customized control panel designed by the hosting company itself?

What do you think?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2004, 05:09 AM

It is a good step if you can create your own Conrol Panel. We have just finished ours and test it. We expect our customers to stay satisfied

Old 09-20-2004, 08:28 PM

Thanks for that, the reasoning behind going ahead with a customised panel was that, many hosting companies that use third party panels like CPanel, Helm, plesk etc. etc. and as these panels are basically as is, they do not really fit hand in glove to the services offered by a hosting company, you basically have to work around it and try and modify your services according to the control panel you use. Many times hosting companies are not able to answer questions regarding control panels as they do not have in depth knowledge of these CP's. They know only what came in the manual.

And if you are not able to solve a customer problem then you are as good as gone.

On the other hand a hosting company that makes its own CP shows that they have analysed the market and have accordingly made a CP that will suit the customers the best and will be able to answer any CP related questions a customer asks as they have designed the CP themselves.

Old 09-21-2004, 06:50 AM
v7n Mentor

That's great that you are creating your own CP.

On the surface as a consumer that sounds great but my concern would be the reliability of the product. When using a third party CP regardless of which one it is at least you know "as the consumer" that many companies are using this products and are being tested by millions of servers around the world. If I have an issue or a problem that my ISP cannot answer, I have no problem finding a solution via google, yahoo, msn, etc. By using a custom CP application if you (ISP) are unable to answer a new issue you have never come accross well I am pretty much stuck.

Personally I hate CP's. They are designed to be used by beginners and that is why they are so limited on what you can do. Advanced admins usually hate CP's and prefer doing things the old way. Log on the server and do it manually.

imaginemn

Old 09-21-2004, 11:35 AM

Thumbs up Life before CP

I can't imagine life before Control Panels. Hahaa. Must have been dreadful. Cool to hear you guys have the brains for all these tech stuff. I am in awe.

Old 09-21-2004, 07:41 PM

thanks for your opinion imaginemn,

well.. but if we are designing the CP ourselves, then usually it does mean about if there is a problem then we will be able to answer it.

the whole point of making a CP is to make sure that it is reliable and is better in some way then a third party CP..

Old 09-22-2004, 04:05 AM
Contributing Member

actually for a server maintaince stand point, life before control panels was a lot easier. But for a customer stand point everything had to be requested and sometimes everything was charged little fee's.

My company might be new but I been in this industry too long, heh, seen a lot of different change. Big hosts starting out at home on their t1. But you could do that because ddos was minimal and media was a lot smaller.

anyway back to topic, being for the customer control panel is useful, and a great sales tool.

Old 09-22-2004, 06:59 PM

yup! that is definitely true.. control panel removes a lot of headaches for the customers

Old 11-20-2004, 07:16 AM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Host
It is a good step if you can create your own Conrol Panel. We have just finished ours and test it. We expect our customers to stay satisfied

Why? Why re-invent the wheel? Cpanel is great. I don't think it's worth the time/effort to create an inferior control panel.

Old 11-20-2004, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnScott
Why? Why re-invent the wheel? Cpanel is great. I don't think it's worth the time/effort to create an inferior control panel.
I don't think anybody sets out to create an inferior control panel. He might even create something roughly 2.3421 times better thn cPanel, and I say go for it and all the power to the brave

Old 11-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

cpanel has its flaws, ask any server admin having any control panel on the server, makes it little less secure. Thats what people are trying to create, perfect match of convienance and security.

Old 11-20-2004, 02:20 PM

What percentage of people use a comtrol panel? You upload files with a FTP program and put redirects in your .htaccess file. What more do most users do that they need a control panel for? Finally, would you pick one hosting company over another because of the control panel they have?

Old 11-20-2004, 02:34 PM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by seonewbee
What more do most users do that they need a control panel for?
http://www.cpanel.net/features-cpanel.html - All that stuff.

Old 11-20-2004, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seonewbee
What percentage of people use a comtrol panel? You upload files with a FTP program and put redirects in your .htaccess file. What more do most users do that they need a control panel for? Finally, would you pick one hosting company over another because of the control panel they have?
I mostly use cpanel to access Awstats.

Old 11-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleFella
I don't think anybody sets out to create an inferior control panel. He might even create something roughly 2.3421 times better thn cPanel, and I say go for it and all the power to the brave

Highly unlikely. Cpanel is awesome. How would you improve it?

Old 11-20-2004, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

I love cpanel... I use a ton of the features in there from awstats and urchin stats, to fantastico, to cronjobs, to file manager, passwords, email accounts... it's very user friendly.

Old 11-20-2004, 09:14 PM

Thanks for your input DOS, Jazzee and Thebassman.

Old 11-20-2004, 10:34 PM
Contributing Member

heh, john: talk to fishfreek see if he'd use the word "awesome" for cpanel

but for overall control panels cpanel is great, plesk is trying though, their lastest version was a great update.

P.S. Long live webmin

Old 11-20-2004, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnScott
Highly unlikely. Cpanel is awesome. How would you improve it?
For one, I dont like the file manager feature, and how it works. You may like it and that's great. To me it sucks.

I can't argue about the degree to which it is unlikely that Ashish could improve cPanel because I know nothing about his skills.

In general terms, saying that cPanel cannot be improved is equal to saying it is perfect and bug free. Having spend more than a few moments in development I would say that a system as complex as cPanel is never 100% bug free and therefore never perfect. In addition to that cPanel is not a closed project, it is still being developed. That alone shows that even cPanel's authors know it can be improved so once in a while they issue bug fixes, updats and upgrades. So... again, it is not perfect, but I don't know if Ashish can improve it.

However, what Ashish wrote was more to the tune of creating his own custom control panel, fine tuned to his exact needs and specifications. It doesn't have to have all the features of cPanel, but it may serve him better.

I am a software developer so other than writing software for others, I also write little mickey mouse programs for myself as a need arises. For instance, I know there are awesome customer control/contact management porgrams, but their functionality does not always meet my needs, while some of the othe features I treat as unnecessary fluff.

If you would like a few ideas on how cPanel can be improved go to http://webmin.com and look around. Well, best just install it and give it a try. Lots of webmin's cool features could be reimplemented within cPanel and make it better. But still not perfect.

Old 11-24-2004, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

For Windows hosting I think helm is the easiest but I am sure all the others I have used in the past have been updated and just as good.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum