Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Discuss web hosting related stuff.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Realistic Cost for Running your own server

How much would it realistically cost to run your site from your own home web server?

What would you need exactly?

Old 12-22-2009, 01:52 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Electricity + bandwidth costs + desctop PC costs.
But there are more troubles then cons

Old 12-22-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
How much would it realistically cost to run your site from your own home web server?

not a lot. If you have vista you can run IIS (control panel > programs and features > turn windows feature on/off). you can the use html and asp. You can install php and mysql easy enough though it might take some fidlling about to get the php working on IIS. If you have XP then you could easily use apache as the webserver but you wouldn't have ASP.

If your behind a router the you need to configure port 80 to go to the computer your using this with for the outside world to see the site.

However you should be aware of a few things, firstly your upload speed will be taxed if several people load your site at once or if your hosting big files. Secondly your provider may frown heavily on people who use there home computers for the own websites.

It may be better to just use a free webhost than to do it from your own computer.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Could it be used on basic cable modem? Or will I need a t3 connection. I think Ill get better results if I run a server from my home in the search results. Google holds this very highly in rankings

Traffic averages are about 20 people a day with 3 mins online each time.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Are you serious about the idea or just would like to do that for fun? Web hosting sevices and servers are created to the such kind things.
In terms of reliability I recommend you quit the idea

Old 12-23-2009, 12:39 AM

Yes you could host it on a cable line, but it could cause problems. Remember the upload speed is slower than download. Depending on your package, the average is around 500kbits/sec. That works out to be around 60 kbytes/sec at the top speed, but you don't always get top speed so say about 40kbytes/sec on average.

Now depending on your pages an html/php page itself is around 50kbytes. Then add in all the images that go with the page which can vary depending on the design you could be looking at around a total of 250kbytes per page. Which is a loading time of around 5 seconds per page. If several people are trying to access pages at the same time thats going to bump up the loading time dramatically. Don't forget your also going to be using that connection for your own uses so you may also be taking up some of that speed.

It's the reason why most webhosts have 100mbit/sec or more connections on each server. most people don't like waiting more than 10-15 seconds for a webpage to load

Old 12-23-2009, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Check with your ISP before you invest much effort in this. Most block port 80 to prevent people from doing this.

There are many other reasons why I would not do it.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:06 AM

There will be restrictions to host a home server from your ISP. Have you thought of getting a VPS server instead? You should be able to find a reasonably price VPS for your needs.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Its more or less a side project I work on in my spare time.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Alchemist,

It sounds like a wonderful concept but I bet if you take a hard objective look at all the facts you will decide on some form of paid hosting.

Even if your ISP allows it and you have enough upload speed, you will be opening every computer and every file on those computers to the script kiddies. Once you open the firewall it is subject to attack.

You can shop well and host all the sites you want for $60 a year where someone else worries about all the security and whether or not the sever is up.

If you want a server at home to develope stuff use one of the packages like xampp or wamp to run a localhost server on your PC. I had a linux box on the network for a while and using ftp from one room to another wasn't any faster than loading it to a hosting account. I change and save a file on my xampp install and bam; it is there and loading with no caching issues along the way.

Happy Holidays.

Last edited by ScriptMan; 12-23-2009 at 01:36 PM. Reason: typo

Old 12-23-2009, 02:15 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post

Cost of the sever... Will vary depending on what components you use and the processor/power/ram, etc.. and other hardware considerations.

As far as 30 days or ongoing costs?

Power $15/mo. on average
BW, kinda an unknown... Could range from $50 to $150/mo.. on a residential connection.
Software, again depends... if you are using cPanel as a for instance, say $40/mo. on average.
Cooling is likely not an issue with one server.
Misc costs... UPS and that power draw...

Say $anywhere from $100 to $500/mo... on the high end and $50 or less per month on the low end.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I suppose the first thing you need to do is contact your ISP and ask them if they will allow you to use port 80.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Your question is a little too vague. What exactly do you intend to do with the site? There's nothing stopping you from downloading apache and running it... it's free. And then you have a fully functioning web server. Would cost nothing more than whatever you're paying for internet access now.

This is an overly simplistic answer of course... but we need a little more detail.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Thanks for the info, but for the moment, Im going to have to put this on the back burner. I have intermediate knowledge on computers, and feel as if I need another year or 2 before I actually know how to do this RIGHT on my own.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Something I would not suggest doing is running a home server. If you are selling webspace to customers then I urge you even more to think about the service you will be providing. I have looked into this and it would be a complete waste of time for me.

The restrictions stopping you would be;

Connection - Even with fiber it may not be as reliable
Bandwidth - ISP's wont offer enough
Traffic Management - My ISP's Traffic Management TOS I suggest checking yours out. This could slash your connection.
ADhoc Costs - You would need to just pay for connection. It will cost to run.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I am no where near as knowledgeable as the folks around here about web servers and developing websites and hosting them.

However, I have managed to build my own website and host it on my server at my home. I use COX as my ISP, so we all know how retarded they can be about these things. Fiber just became available in my area 40 megs up and down (residential)! But that is another topic...

The box I am using for my server is an old HP with 2.5 gigs of ram with server 2003. Nothing special and very cheap. Now for practical purposes, this machine does not have a whole lot of redundancy built into it. I.E. No back up power supply source (like a generator) or anything like that, but it was been running for the last 2 months with no down time minus Server updates. You can judge for yourself how fast it loads by going to it.

cajncomputerservices.com

I have gotten around the port 80 issue with some research. I just really see the need to pay someone a monthly fee for something I could do for free. Now I certainly don't mind some constructive criticism here from any of the guru's, I am simply trying to show the OP how feasible it is to do it yourself. If your willing to take some risks that is.

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 01-01-2010 at 01:24 PM.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

cost will be higher than buying a hosting package. PC , bandwidth, electricity will cost you allot. also its not reliable as compared to site hosted at data center where you will get guaranteed uptime support and much more!

good luck

Old 01-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Nice load speed on a very optimized page. Of course we may be on the same backbone.

Quote:
I have gotten around the port 80 issue with some research. I just really see the need to pay someone a monthly fee for something I could do for free. Now I certainly don't mind some constructive criticism here from any of the guru's, I am simply trying to show the OP how feasible it is to do it yourself. If your willing to take some risks that is.
I am speaking as just another member here, not as a mod, when I say this is going to sound rougher than I mean for it to be. And I do not mean to attack you personally, just the mindset that goes with your actions.

Calling it like it is; what you are doing is violating your ISPs TOS and stealing services that you aren't paying for since you do not have a business account. Pretty cut and dried. You want a free ride.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I really dont think that the ISP will care about him using his desk top for hosting.

For a small website, its fine. I think.

If you are running a high traffic site I think its a different story.

I agree with him when he says that he is says he doesn't see a need to pay someone for something he can do for free.

I think the same way.

I think internet service here in America is a rip off. Ive been to other countries where they get T1 connections for the same cost as Fiber.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Nice load speed on a very optimized page. Of course we may be on the same backbone.

I am speaking as just another member here, not as a mod, when I say this is going to sound rougher than I mean for it to be. And I do not mean to attack you personally, just the mindset that goes with your actions.

Calling it like it is; what you are doing is violating your ISPs TOS and stealing services that you aren't paying for since you do not have a business account. Pretty cut and dried. You want a free ride.
I don't take it personally at all. When you get down to the nitty gritty, you're right. And when they come knocking saying that I owe them "x" amount of dollars or cut me off for violating their "TOS" then so be it. I won't moan and complain about it. I understand the risk. I am betting that they won't do anything at all because of the new Fiber network just deployed here. They are losing customers left and right because they just can't compete with the bandwith offerings.

That being said, there are very specific reasons for my actions at the current moment. I am renting a house atm and plan on buying in about a year or less. Once I do, I will be obtaining the appropriate service for what I am doing since I will want static IP addresses and several of them.

My mindset isn't that I want a free ride. Since I am paying for their service, it isn't free. However, to your point, I am not paying for the appropriate service that I specifically want.

If they wish to persue action against me, I won't stop them. Worst case scenario, they shut of my access and I have to move ISP's. But I just don't see that happening with the type of website I have. If I were doing e-commerce or something like that...maybe so.

I noticed that my link isn't a link any longer. Did I post it when it wasn't appropriate?

Last edited by cajn; 01-02-2010 at 06:13 AM. Reason: question

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum