Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Discuss web hosting related stuff.

Share |
Old 04-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

How to move a blog from one host to another?

Hi,

I am changing the hosting company, how do I move my blog data from old host to new host? As I have installed my blog through Fantastico rather then uploading through filezilla. What should I do? I don't wanna loose any of the settings or data. And do not want any downtime for hours. Thanks :s

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

I gather this is with wordpress?

Old 04-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike View Post
I gather this is with wordpress?
Yes this is a wordpress blog and it is with some other web hosting company now moving to another...

Old 04-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Hi,

I am changing the hosting company, how do I move my blog data from old host to new host? As I have installed my blog through Fantastico rather then uploading through filezilla. What should I do? I don't wanna loose any of the settings or data. And do not want any downtime for hours. Thanks :s
Hello,

There isn't much difference between installing Wordpress via Fantastico or manually. The only difference is that if you install it via Fantastico you can upgrade Wordpress from the Fantastico page as well as from the admin panel.

Your new host should be able to move your blog for you. If not you can use an FTP client to save all of the files to your computer then take a backup of the database using phpmyadmin or a plugin such as WordPress Database Backup and restore it on your new account. If your current and new host use cPanel you can generate a full cpanel backup under files and have your new host restore your account from that backup.

The best thing to do is not cancel your current hosting account until your Wordpress blog is up and running on your new one.

Jack

Old 04-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequencehosting View Post
The only difference is that if you install it via Fantastico you can upgrade Wordpress from the Fantastico page as well as from the admin panel.
I do not believe you can upgrade via the admin panel if you;re coming from a Fantastico install. Even in these forums we've had folks try to do that and the Fantastico version contains differences in files that cause problems with upgrading.

Also considering that Automattic has many privacy and security problems concerning their servers, their policies as well as their employees, I would not feel comfortable with using their automated upgrade system. Or even all of the remote calls a typical wordpress install does.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Back to the initial question.

Backup your DB from your control panel with the add/drop if exists option checked.

Install the new set of scripts on the host. Import your DB.

It should work.

You may want to review the information here: http://my-e-space.com/changing-hosts.html for moving information in case you need to get back to those old files for some reason (full disclosure the link goes to a site of mine).

Old 04-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Contributing Member

Most of hosting company you are transfering website to are willing to get this transfer job done for you with a details provided. Wordpress blog transfer is not that hard. They can get it done easily.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum