Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Discuss web hosting related stuff.

Share |
Old 08-20-2010, 02:38 AM
v7n Mentor

Recommendations on a dedicated server?

Here is a question for you techies, I found the following in webmaster forum...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovystar View Post
My site is a forum and has been having issues with overage of Apache connexions and occasional memory overuse. Each time I go to my host and they make a few tweaks and the site goes back up, but this happens a few times a week.

Forum's basic stats:

Usually 3,000 - 4,200 posts per day
240 - 270 members on daily, most users on at a time usually 80 to 90 daily

That's the basic stats. If this was your forum would you think it needed a dedicated server? We are on a good VPS right now. We are preparing for an upgrade and theme change to eliminate a lot of coding problems, but my programmer hasn't gotten back to me yet when I emailed him to let him know it's ready to upgrade.

Anyway, what I am wondering is do we also need a server upgrade as well. At what point does a forum just need its own dedicated server. Like, what kind of server does this place run on?

Stats:

Based on the site data graphics...he is working with about 3 Gigs left out of 60... this persons data base is in the red.

For my own website I am anticipating needing to go to a dedicated server in 3 to 6 months. Currently operating on VPS same size as the above. I do not want to run into trouble and am looking for recommendations on a dedicated server that will provide ample operating capability for my E-commerce business. I had maxed out my 30GIg six months ago and as I say will probably exceed 60 in three to six months. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and I will pass along info to groovystar or you can.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 06:38 AM

Hi Devonshire, I suggest you take a look at JaguarPC, I have servers with them and I can honestly say I have never ever known such a great hosting company!

Old 08-20-2010, 08:46 AM
v7n Mentor

Thanks Jack,

I will check this out!

Regards,
Devonshire

Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 AM

No problem at all, they will also help you work out what server to go with

Old 08-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

i recommend u go with joe's data center it is nice datacenter vps price starts with 19 dollars and dedicated starts at 42 dollars check out there website dude

Old 09-01-2010, 10:31 AM

Joe's is cheap, that's for sure. I've been hosting my own site on dedicated servers for a long time and I've learned a lot in the process. The biggest lesson - Don't go with the cheapest host because you really do get what you pay for.

The largest companies (like godaddy) are crap -- they outsource their support to inexperienced, $4/hr people in foreign countries so whenever you have a problem you can't even understand what they're saying, much less get the help you need.

The other thing to watch out for is new hosting companies -- they tend to vanish, leaving you with no access to your server or your data. I see Joe's is less than 2 years old! That's like having a 5 year old kid do your taxes. Sure they might put down that you owe nothing to the IRS -- but it will catch up to you, probably sooner than later.

After being with 4 different companies, I now have my server with Fork Networking (forked.net). They've been around for more than 10 years and have been nothing but honest, reliable, and extremely helpful with all my dumb questions.

Good luck!

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 09-01-2010 at 03:46 PM.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

Checkout LiquidWeb.com
They might be abit more pricy but there, server, systems & setup is worth it.

There datacenter is well managed and so are your servers.

PS: they also sell VPS

Old 09-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

I think you can still scrape by with a VPS. Maybe come back to this decision in a month and see if you need the extra power. Dedicated servers are quite a bit more than VPS in price as well.

Are you sure you want to up the bill per month?

Old 09-08-2010, 07:12 PM
v7n Mentor

I have to agree with simplyamazing12. Dedicated servers are quite a bit more expensive with some beginning at $45.00/mo - $75.00/mo. You also need to consider whether you need a self-managed or managed server (plays a factor in monthly pricing, sometimes a big one).

I've worked in the hosting industry for 7+ years with a publicly traded world wide company and would be happy to recommend solutions if needed. With that said, if you're seriously considering going with dedicated servers, I recommend The Planet or Hostgator - great support, good uptime, and helpful staff.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldnt go for a dedicated unless you can manage it.

And $75 would be too cheap and low specs for a dedicated server, be prepared to pay $120-$250 for a good reliable server per month.

Alternative is VPS... more recommended as well.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:43 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRACK View Post

And $75 would be too cheap and low specs for a dedicated server, be prepared to pay $120-$250 for a good reliable server per month.

I suppose the price will depend on the configuration. $120 per month is good for small dedicared server I suppose.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:52 PM

Check out some of the offerings at Carat Networks, they have servers starting at $60+ and VPS at $15+

www.CaratNetworks.com

Best of luck with your search!

Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 AM

If you opt for a dedicated server you will have the same problem again in a years time - i.e. there is no way to cope with growth other than to buy another server. Better to go with a decent cloud hosting provider where you can grow your resources. This is going to cost you more than a VPS and probably similar to a dedicated server, but you will gain in terms of reliability and the server will grow with you.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Banned

I've heard good things about Inmotion Hosting. They are pretty expensive though, over $200. I would hold off on getting a dedicated server as long as you can. Save your money until you really need the dedicated server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRACK View Post

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 09-27-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum