Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Discuss web hosting related stuff.

Share |
Old 11-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

can I measure my web host's bandwidth?

My website is really slow.
If my web host says that they have assigned me so much bandwidth, can I somehow check to see how fast their servers are, or measure the bandwdith they are assigning to my site?
Can a web host just slow down your site by cutting their bandwidth setting they assign you?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 01:08 AM

Hi,

Site speed mainly depends on the pages that you are using for the working of your site. And about bandwidth - if you are using to post images and some one is trying to copying the link and use your bandwidth. There may be a chance for this. You can use htaccess rules to block this.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

The problem could be either on the server your site is hosted on, or the routing that your isp uses. If the load times are slow from different locations and isp's the problem is most likely with the server that your site is hosted on. With shared hosting server speed largely depends on what is happening with other sites hosted on the same server. Speed could vary throughout the day if other sites experience high traffic, or start running faulty scripts, etc.

You might want to enter a support ticket with your host to let them know what you have noticed with your load times; if the problem is specific to the server that your site is hosted on they should be able to move your site to a faster/different server.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 AM

Load speed of the website is a separate thing, u must get over the errors and bugs in your website to make the speed fast, also reduce the load of scripts, remove uneccessary codes, js, css scripts from your code, then your website will work good!

Old 12-02-2011, 12:09 AM

slow speed could be affected by other fatcors ,maybe from clients or server,
for example ,you could test logging into your website by access different VPN routes

Old 12-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Banned

To OP

You will have to optimize website and database carefully and if you find the problem isn't with website, then make sure to upgrade hosting package to next level. Perhaps your current hosting plan showing its limitations.

Last edited by hosting advisor; 12-02-2011 at 06:57 AM.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:05 AM
Banned

As per my little experience,Bandwidth may not the main reason for web site slow; there may be your site having so many images (size kb or mb) or any flash, JS etc.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Bandwidth assigned to you is the total transfer for you for a month. It is not a measure of the speed. You site on a shared hosting account would be hosted along with 100s of other sites. The execution and transfer speed available to you depends on total load on the server. There is no specific amount assigned to you.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:34 AM

hi,
i assume that you are using a shared hosting solution. instead of checking the bandwidth, you should check the number of visitors that you are getting each & every day in your website. if you see that you have got a huge amount of traffic then i will advice you to shift your website to a dedicated server.
on the other hand if you find out that the traffic to your website is moderate then i will advice you to check the script that you are using or have a talk with your hosting company and check if the server is a good one.

kindest,
abhishek

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum