Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Discuss web hosting related stuff.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Dedicated IP or Shared IP?

Which do you prefer, dedicated ips or shared?

Please explain why.

I prefer dedicated ips, for a few reasons.

A trusted domain on a dedicated ip, is a trusted ip.

You can control which sites are on a dedicated ip, unlike a shared. With shared ips, you could be sharing an ip with spammers, and it could have an effect on your web site. Since search engines "usually" ban by domains, but under severe circumstances, they will ban an ip.

A shared ip may start out as whitelisted, but could end up being blacklisted and cripple your business overnight. All it takes is for some to start sending spam, and it's over.

Too many web sites on an ip can also slow down your load time, due to server stress. This can also cause your server to crash and suffer some downtime.

Is it really worth the risk? No!

I could go on and on, but those are the biggest points I wanted to make.

Your thoughts?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Obviously, I can say most will prefer the dedicated IP. Shared IP means you have one IP address that is shared amongst a couple web sites or domains. With a dedicated IP, you will have it all to yourself.

Hosted by: Myhosting.com

Old 01-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

Make no difference for most sites. Unless you need SSL, there is no need of a dedicated IP. IPv4 address is anyway limited and there is no point in wasting resources. Everyone including Google know this.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr View Post
Which do you prefer, dedicated ips or shared?

Please explain why.

I prefer dedicated ips, for a few reasons.

A trusted domain on a dedicated ip, is a trusted ip.

You can control which sites are on a dedicated ip, unlike a shared. With shared ips, you could be sharing an ip with spammers, and it could have an effect on your web site. Since search engines "usually" ban by domains, but under severe circumstances, they will ban an ip.

A shared ip may start out as whitelisted, but could end up being blacklisted and cripple your business overnight. All it takes is for some to start sending spam, and it's over.

Too many web sites on an ip can also slow down your load time, due to server stress. This can also cause your server to crash and suffer some downtime.

Is it really worth the risk? No!

I could go on and on, but those are the biggest points I wanted to make.

Your thoughts?
I will prefer dedicated IP because it will bring me to the same domain whether i type it in my url or its numeric form.However there are some cases in which dedicated IP'S are required that is SSL certificate and anonymous FTP.SSL encrypts the the information of credit cards when there is a transaction in process between web server and visitor.On the other hand FTP is required when visitor wants to download some files without using id and password.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

If you use shared IP, and that IP is blacklisted for spamming or something else, it would impact negatively effect on your website SEO.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

In addition, having your website on a dedicated IP address have its own benefits like – If you want to access your website through FTP or web browser even when the domain name is inaccessible (in case of your domain name is in propagation periods) then you can access website by using IP address.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:41 AM
Banned

Hii!

If you have a bigger business or commercial website then dedicates IP is good for you.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Banned

Also even with a dedicated IP, on a shared server usually all of the mail is sent through one mail server, which would have the blacklisted IP.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Dedicated IP is always better than shared one.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

Dedicated IP is costly for sites having small business and basically dedicated IP mostly required for those domains only who is depend on SEO and using the SSL certificate....

If you are using the shared ip address for your domain and facing problem to send an E-mail due to the shard ip black list issue then simply contact the hosting provider and ask them to white list ip or change the mail server ip ....

Old 01-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

dedicated ip's always have advantages.On the other hand in shared ip if someone spam over internet it affect all websites using same ip..

Old 01-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

If dedicated IPs didn't cost as much as they did compared to regularly priced shared hosting on shared IPs, I'm sure everyone would prefer dedicated.. and it's certainly a good thing when using SSL certificates.

I've not had many problems with shared IPs and I know a friend who had a site on a shared IP that got blacklisted and the search engines dropped the all those on that IP, when contacting his host, they were able to change his (their) IP once finding the culprit behind the blacklisting

Old 01-20-2012, 12:02 PM

Dedicated is generally better than shared, but a poorly run operation with dedicated IP's can be worse than a shared IP system. It's not black and white.

Shared IP's are not slower than dedicated. You can put just as many companies onto a box with a dedicated IP as a shared IP. So it's not faster, however when you're paying a bit extra, the company may limit the number of websites dedicated to a single box.

It's more likely someone will get a shared IP blacklisted, but your dedicated IP could also get blacklisted by many services, if enough bad IP's are in a block of IP's, often the entire class C or more will be blocked because it's clear that whatever company you're with has serious quality control issues.

Dedicated is necessary for SSL however.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Shared IPs are unlikely to be blacklisted for spamming because mails will be sent from a separate dedicated IP address.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Dedicated is better for database-driven sites, especially as usage/processing increases. It's nice to be able to manage the server as well, so if it needs restarting, etc. can easily be done.
Shared hosting better for static sites -- can still have ASP/PHP/etc. scripting, but not good for running DB-intensive services.
Now seeking resellers of our "White Label" live chat service

Old 01-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLiveChat View Post
Dedicated is better for database-driven sites, especially as usage/processing increases. It's nice to be able to manage the server as well, so if it needs restarting, etc. can easily be done.
Shared hosting better for static sites -- can still have ASP/PHP/etc. scripting, but not good for running DB-intensive services.
That is a pretty broad statement. It depends on the type of application you are running and the amount of traffic you are getting.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I go for dedicated IP of course. As it won't mess you up unlike using a shared IP. When one of the IP users messed something up then your screwed as well.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:52 AM

If it is the shared host I'd definitely use dedicated IP to protect my website, who knows who is hosted with on my IP if it shared

Old 01-28-2012, 08:41 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Dedicated IP is better than shared ip for SEO.
--------------------------------
Guest blog posting
Reliable Web Hosting

Old 01-30-2012, 10:50 AM

It seems that people often mistake what dedicated IP means, with what it is often packaged with.

Dedicated IP is probably better for SEO, definitely needed for any SSL type of activity, and is less likely to get blocked for spamming since you're the only one using that specific IP, but you are often in a block of IP's that could be spamming, and thus could get associated with them.

Dedicated IP's often come with slightly higher end server offerings, which gives you a bit more ram and/or CPU shared resources, which often equates to a better experience. In itself, a dedicated IP doesn't mean much.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum