Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Discuss web hosting related stuff.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

4 Ways a Cheap Hosting Company Will Destroy Your Online Business

I've noticed that some people are looking for cheap web hosting and if they didn't read the replies after they asked this question then read this blog post at least.

Quote:
All the offsite link building and onsite SEO in the world canít protect your website and online business from the dangers of a cheap hosting company. In fact, great offsite link building and onsite SEO can be ruined by the actions (or lack thereof) of a cheap hosting company. Donít put your website at risk just to save a few dollars each month! Here are four ways a cheap hosting company could potentially destroy your website and online business:
Continued at: http://dailyseotip.com/4-ways-a-chea...business/2200/

Any thoughts on the 4 things that was mentioned?

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 02-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
1. Downed servers = lost content

Most cheap hosting companies are not going to backup your website. Frankly, you probably arenít paying them enough to bother. Chances are itís even spelled out (in very, very fine print) in your contract with them that they will not backup the content of your website. If something happens to their servers and your website loses pages of content there is nothing you can do about it. You might lose all of your onsite SEO and have to start at square one.
It doesn't matter in the slightest to me how good (or bad) my hosting company's backup process might be. I treat it as if it doesn't even exist.

I maintain my own backups (both local and off-site) for all of my website content. Sure, it's a bit of a pain maintaining the backups in an up-to-date state. Much less pain, though, than trying to recover from a loss that isn't adequately backed up.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
3. Little to no customer support

That same client that lost pages of content when their hosting company’s servers went down spent days trying to get in contact with the hosting company. The sent dozens of emails to every email address they could find and tried calling the customer service number at all hours of the day (the hosting company was based in India) but to no avail. It took four days for someone at the hosting company to get back to my client, and basically all they were told was to sit tight. You can imagine how well that went over. Since their entire business was web-based, if their site was down so was their business.

A good hosting company is never going to put their customers through the ringer like that. When a site owner is having issues, a reputable hosting company is going to get back to them in a reasonable amount of time and do everything they can to fix the issue on their end.
Much has been said about this. When you invest on something cheap then don't expect much on it. When it comes to the hosting business, if someone invest on cheap hosting then don't expect much support for it. Most cheap hosting companies would just ignore your first, second, third or even your fourth e-mail regarding an issue. They would answer your query after several e-mails and when you're already cursing them. Then they would just say "Sit tight. Everything is under control." Wherein they're doing nothing on their end. Personally, I would invest on something that would cost me but I know that in return it would benefit me.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:00 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
It doesn't matter in the slightest to me how good (or bad) my hosting company's backup process might be. I treat it as if it doesn't even exist.
Exactly! But some people never even give it a second thought till it all goes wrong!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

One thing not mentioned is the fact that a downed server means no search engines can crawl.
My hosting company recently moved my site to a much higher end server that could handle my needs as we run two high-demand software packages that hog up PHP memory. It became apparent when the site was originally installed on a regular old-style server that the speed was not up to par, and then the server crashed, several times. They raised my monthly fees, but in return I have a solid site, capable of many more connections and powerful enough to handle all the software installed.
Now, when I add products to my shopping cart software and submit it to Google, it is cataloged and viewable in a few short hours. Money well-spent. I wholeheartedly agree with the blog post.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

The OP's post is a bit too overly complex. It is a lot more simple than that - if your site is not up, you will lose visitors and traffic. This more than likely will lead to online businesses to go extinct.

Hosted by: Myhosting.com

Old 02-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

All those are valid considerations and true. But paranoid old me also thinks the fastest way to get get your database of exclusive content on the warez sites is to use some crappy cheap host.

Now whether it is their lack of security or their intent to steal that, I will leave to you to decide.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyamazing12 View Post
The OP's post is a bit too overly complex. It is a lot more simple than that - if your site is not up, you will lose visitors and traffic. This more than likely will lead to online businesses to go extinct.
I didn't write the blog post btw.

I have always stayed away from cheap hosting. Even if i find a cheap host while looking for hosting, i still do my homework and do research on that web host.

Then i take a look at my site or sites that i will need a host for and see if my site(s) would be good on there shared hosting. Since i have a wordpress blog, i found a good host that is only for wordpress blogs so the server is setup to run blog's. Also there is some built in security features with the hosting plan and w3 total cache is already on the server. lol

Haven't had any downtime since i moved last year. It's not a cheap plan but i am playing it safe incase i get a huge traffic spike. With a cheap host and you get a huge traffic spike in one day, your account could get suspended. (Just my opinion)

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 02-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
I didn't write the blog post btw.
With a cheap host and you get a huge traffic spike in one day, your account could get suspended. (Just my opinion)
Especially if it comes with some supposed unlimited bandwidth.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipeten View Post
Especially if it comes with some supposed unlimited bandwidth.
Do you think it's impossible to provide unlimited bandwidth?

Old 02-16-2012, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by koddos View Post
Do you think it's impossible to provide unlimited bandwidth?
The sites that call it unmetered are offering a true statement but it is still limited by the capacity of the connection.

Unlimited bandwidth does not exist. The physical size of the cables and the capacity they can carry, limited by the physical number of bandwidth providers, the number of cables that can enter a building and finally by the size of the backbone conclusively prove that unlimited does not exists.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Well we should define "cheap" first. How cheap is cheap? $1/month? $5? We see large hosts such as Godaddy, hostmonster, lunarpages etc. which can be considered cheap however they have more than adequate support going with their services.

On the other hand, more expensive does not necessarily mean better service. Some hosts targeting local businesses (as opposed to hosts targeting a more global customer base) usually tend to have higher prices, however you don't always get a better service than some lower priced hosts found online.

More than price, I believe anyone looking for hosting should do their homework, check the background and reviews of potential vendors, an regardless of the hosts selected or whatever they promise, make sure to keep regular backups offsite. As long as the domain name is not with the host, whatever happens one could easily move away and get back online with minimum downtime if backups are properly maintained.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Nice suggestions! It is really necessary to spend some money and hire a well experienced hosting company to promote any kind of online business.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Shared hosting is cheap these days and vast majority of the sites are hosted on less than $6-$8 per month hosts. I can't imagine anyone using anything less than that, especially if he is trying to make money from it!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:59 PM

its better to get a hosting in a big company like hostgator o godaddy, its more reliable

Old 04-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

I think if your hosting is reasonable price with the best features and fully customer services, I think that not expensive. You will get the best services that you pay.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seo4china View Post
More than price, I believe anyone looking for hosting should do their homework, check the background and reviews of potential vendors, an regardless of the hosts selected or whatever they promise, make sure to keep regular backups offsite. As long as the domain name is not with the host, whatever happens one could easily move away and get back online with minimum downtime if backups are properly maintained.
Very well said. The price can't really be the indicator of how reliable a host is. But you do get what you pay for. Whether it's self-managed/unmanaged or fully-managed services though, keeping your own backup offsite is crucial and can save you from much unwanted headaches and downtime

Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyamazing12 View Post
Simple, effective and straight to the point. I Like It!

Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 AM

Keeping backups is a must regardless of how rated or reputable the host is. Hard disks can fail, even in the best hands. If your data is important, back it up.. or dont and learn the hard way.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcreyes979 View Post
its better to get a hosting in a big company like hostgator o godaddy, its more reliable
Not true. Just because the host is big, doesn't mean they are reliable/ or provide better service

A smaller host could be a lot more reliable and provide much better service than a huge host.

Just like a brick and mortar store. Whenever I've stopped at one of Dillon's convenience stores I got terrible service.

I now go to a smaller family owned operated convenience store and get great service.

So bigger doesn't always mean better.

Chad

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum