Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Discuss web hosting related stuff.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 09-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

Unlimited really limited?

I read that there are some disadvantages from the "unlimited" host packages. Apart from sharing server space I heard that speed can get very low and if you exceed 1000 visitors they also cut you of or something. Is this true? I was considering signing up with HostGator but I have my doubts now...
Any suggestions and/or advice?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 12:45 AM
Contributing Member

There is no such thing as unlimited.

There is a (not disclosed) limit. If you go over that limit, you get one (or all) of the following:

Account suspended
Hosting suspended
"You have to pay for a bigger hosting, or we'll delete your account"
Account deleted

If there really was such a thing as "unlimited", you think google would operate their own server farm? (An exaggeration)

Old 09-13-2012, 04:03 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the reply
What would be a average limit for visitors per day be then before I get suspended?

Old 09-13-2012, 04:32 AM
Contributing Member

I don't really know that, but it all depends on the bandwidth used. So, if you have a site that offers downloads, or a photoblog the invisible limit could be reached rather quickly.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member

I only have text, I link to the rest. So will I get more than lets say 1000 hits per day with HostGator's cheapest package?

Old 09-13-2012, 04:59 AM
Contributing Member

As I said, I have no clue.

You could get the cheapest packages, but I suggest that you always keep an up-to-date backup (make one every day at a certain time, here is a guide )
Code:
http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/workflow/backing-up-your-website-the-ultimate-guide/
That way, you won't loose your data when you hit the limit.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navmecoza View Post
I only have text, I link to the rest. So will I get more than lets say 1000 hits per day with HostGator's cheapest package?
First you need to understand the difference between 'hits' and 'page views'. A page with text and 4 images is 5 hits and could be more if you are including other pages.

I have never used HG hosting but I imagine they are no better or worse than most 'unlimited' plan hosts. I have a couple of different hosts with one than one domain in each account. I am fairly sure that the combined totals for all domains exceeds 1000 page views per day and these sites make extensive use of DB and php includes.

Where you usually get into trouble with a budget host is in the area of script execution and load on the server. All of them have really limited connections and some restrict input output to certain levels. A static site does not generally encounter many problems until the traffic is far greater.

At any rate I believe they offer a painless upgrade option when you need it.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the new replies.
I really found what you posted interesting @ ScriptMan
My first website, which I didn't put online had a lot of interactive stuff and animations and things flying around alike. I read for SEO you should rather stay clear from the fancy scripts and keep it simple and professional.
I'll go with the HG then, my site is about 20-30kb per page, pure html & css. No multimedia, only links to such.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

That unlimited disk space and bandwidth is just a marketing gimmick. If was true that we could use unlimited, then we wouldn't need vps or dedicated servers.

Chad

Old 09-14-2012, 03:53 AM
Banned

Some of company's offers unlimited hosting the truth behind of this hosting is they will really provide unlimited hosting but bandwidth will not be crossover so it can effect the other users in the same server.other then bandwidth it will be unlimited good for minimum traffic websites.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:01 AM
v7n Mentor

ScriptMan and GMF have provided solid answers. Here is a trick that may be helpful in case you need to figure out how much hits and page views your site is getting on average before spending in any hosting plan:-

Sign up for Pagoda Box (free) and host your site with them and see how far you go with them. They are VERY stable, even for free hosting. Their dashboard is amazing and since they are a PHP cloud hosting provider (and the best one at that), you'll not be disappointed. And when your site starts growing and the free plan can no longer handle traffic load, you can easily add extra resources for VERY affordable prices.

And if any developer is reading this thread then I can't stress further on this. Go and start using their service today. They are doing very good work for the developer community by offering highly professional services for free.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navmecoza View Post
You should be okay, unless you have a heavy PHP application serving the pages.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Honestly, in my venture throughout the years. I would suggest straying away from web hosts who offer unlimited hosting. Don't let them get you with the word unmetered either.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:38 PM

Never can be unlimited. There's always going to be a limit to the number of hard drives a server can have in it so there's no such thing as unlimited space (or bandwidth, either). If you read the terms and conditions, it will probably say something about how unlimited actually means they just don't set any limits. It probably says you will be suspended or forced to upgrade your package if your site uses too much of the CPU.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_ View Post
Never can be unlimited. There's always going to be a limit to the number of hard drives a server can have in it so there's no such thing as unlimited space (or bandwidth, either). If you read the terms and conditions, it will probably say something about how unlimited actually means they just don't set any limits. It probably says you will be suspended or forced to upgrade your package if your site uses too much of the CPU.
While I don't know how other shared hosts have their policies set up, I have seen that my hosting company, Bluehost, has such high limits that, for most people, it's almost as if there are none.

Automated backups of your server exclude your account if your total storage exceeds 30 gigabytes. At that point, you are responsible for doing your own backups. If the number of inodes exceeds 50,000 files, you'll be required to reduce that. All files stored on their servers must be part of one of your account's sites. (They are, after all, selling hosting, not remote storage.)

CPU usage is throttled on a per-account basis at the kernel level. If your processes are using too much of the available CPU time, your account gets throttled back so that your site doesn't adversely impact other accounts on your server. A graph is always available to let you see if any throttling has occurred during the previous 24 hours. (If you're getting a lot of throttling, it may be time to move up to vps or dedicated hosting. Bluehost doesn't offer either of those.)

I'm not certain that this is case, but I'd expect that the same policies are in place for Bluehost's sister companies, HostMonster and FastDomain.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:45 AM
Banned

Most Shared Hosts out there advertise "Unlimited Hosting" packages at like $5/month or similar. This is false advertising in my opinion because while you do get unlimited storage and bandwidth, what they do not tell you is there are limitations on the amount of "database connections" which is usually around 10 simultaneous connections or so many connections per hour.

This is really quite ridiculous if you have a website that uses a database and gets any decent amount of traffic. If you have more than 10 users on your site performing database queries then your site will get temporarily suspended.

If you repeatedly hit max database connections then your hosting account will get closed. I have had sites shut down many times using shared hosts.

What it comes down to is, for new sites on a budget use shared hosting. Once your site starts getting a lot of traffic switch to dedicated hosting so you won't have limits.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:35 PM

There is no such think like unlimited. If you start utilizing too many resources hosting companies either suspend your hosting or ask you to move too some other package.

1000 visitors is ok with hostgator. I have a tech blog and i usually get around 100-1300 visitors per day and i m using hostgator shared baby package. I don't send too many requests to the server this can be achieved by using css sprites(combining 4-5 images in one)

Old 09-22-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_buzzerchat View Post
clear your doubts or questions or concerns by doing live chat with hostgator or hosting company you will be signing up at. JUST A SUGGESTION!
This is really good advice, I have been with HostGator for a very long time and have never had any real issues with them regarding disk space OR Bandwidth. It is true that there is no such thing as "Unlimited" however the limit can be quite high to a point that almost any typical webmaster would never reach the limit. They do get you with Inode limits of 250,000 and Running Process. I have had issues with Running Process limit which of course was caused by a massacre by spam bots on a development forum I was working :p

Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 AM

Unlimited notion is a market trick IMHO.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natcoweb. View Post
Unlimited notion is a market trick IMHO.
Well in a sense it is. When I started building sites back in 2000, it was difficult to find any web hosting that offered anything near a gig of disk space or bandwidth. I remember when web hosting started offering increased disk space and bandwidth limits. Sites still had graphical layouts and general graphical elements but they weren't anything compared to what it's like now.

The first web host that I found that offered "Unlimited" web hosting was a company called HostUltra. Of course they got you with ads like so many other Free web hosting providers.

Today web hosting companies are making use of countless servers to help give that sense of "Unlimited" everything, the more you (and everyone else) use though the more you'll see it in the quality of how your site loads. Too much of something is never a good thing, it's really true because it's like that with pretty much everything in life (Except Money) but then again people with too much money are never truly happy either crazy world we live in hahaah.

Best bet is, don't go for web hosting that is Too Expensive because chances are they are either running their servers in their home basement and need to pay their electric bill OR chargin too much. Don't go for web hosting that is too cheap (0.99 cents a month or year) because too cheap can't mean good quality. A majority of web hosting companies are offering unlimited web hosting (disk space, bandwidth, MySQL Databases, etc...) just be smart and do your research and ask questions before you make the big purchase.

There's a good topic i've been posting in regarding what good web hosts are around, one being HostGator. Feel free to check the thread out

(Sorry I was unable to post a URL because of my limit, this URL is pointed to another thread so I hope this is not an issue)

v7n.com/forums/web-hosting-forum/316152-hostgator-good-2.html#post1926187

They offer unlimited hosting at reasonable costs and the upside is they have reliable services. Their customer service is superior to a majority of other web hosting providers.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Closed Thread