Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Discuss web hosting related stuff.

Share |
Old 10-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

Unhappy Have I done enough? Must I upgrade my host?

Hello everyone, recently I have been trying to improve the loading speed of my wordpress website.

I have implemented a large variety of techniques including using cloudflare, w3 total cache plugin, smush it...and a few others.

I trimmed as much as I could and yet I am still not happy with the speed of my website. I am hosting with bluehost.

Apparently according to p3 plugin profiler between the wp core theme, premium theme, and plugins installed I am causing about an extra .8 seconds of load time

Are they any other variables besides my host that account for a much longer loading time?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

TO many plugins can tend to slow down the loading speed. I have trimmed down my amount of plugins recently and I'll do this again when WordPress release's there next version.

Run your website through this speed test. (It's free and you don't have to register)

http://gtmetrix.com/

This will tell you want things to work on fixing.

Again, by removing old plugins that you really don't use to much you could help with the loading speed. Some plugins never get updated when WordPress updates there software then become buggy or create other problem's.

Since I'm on the genesis framework, I went with there websynthesis.com web hosting. It's expensive but this made me remove 2 plugins as some features came with this hosting.

Bluehost is a good host, I don't think it's there fault. Actually did you ask bluehost support to give you the recommended w3 total cache settings that works best with your current hosting package?

Websynthesis, gave me settings to change that was compatiable with the type of server my blog is on. I know I can still improve on my blog speed but have not had time to investigate. btw, I don't use cloudflare because I have w3 total cache plugin.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the resource! It indeed was very helpful and you seem to be correct, it is not an issue of the host, or at least I don't think it is any more.

I have fixed up as much of the issues as I could, but at this point I have reached my limits on technical know how. Do you know of any services who could assist with implementing speed improvements?

Old 11-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

I agree with snakeair. A lot of plugins due tend to cause a site to slow down. That's not only for wordpress, but even forums and any others sites that you use plugins on.

Chad

Old 11-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharebombbeats View Post
Thanks for the resource! It indeed was very helpful and you seem to be correct, it is not an issue of the host, or at least I don't think it is any more.

I have fixed up as much of the issues as I could, but at this point I have reached my limits on technical know how. Do you know of any services who could assist with implementing speed improvements?
One of our super moderators provides a wordpress service but it's not free. I found her old thread from the beginning of Oct. of this year.

http://www.v7n.com/forums/sell-web-s...ml#post1933476

You can follow her contact instructions in the thread or create a thread in our marketplace section explain what you want fixed. Then ask for quotes...etc

Old 11-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Hmm I will probably be in contact with this person but before I give up myself do you know of any relatively easy ways to fix any of these critical issues.

Ideally using a plugin or a step by step guide

Defer parsing of JavaScript
Specify image dimensions
Avoid a character set in the meta tag
Remove query strings from static resources
Remove unused CSS
Specify a character set early
Use efficient CSS selectors
Serve scaled images

Old 11-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

by the way what is your load time at the moment?

Old 11-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

about 8-10 seconds, it sometime is as low as 6 though

Old 11-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Contributing Member

I think 8 seconds is average if your site has lots of images, utilizing social networking buttons, analytics etc...

If you still want to cut about 1-2 seconds, these things can help :
1. Gzipping content (not sure if share hosting can do this)
2. memcache (share hosting not possible)
3. varnish (share hosting not possible)
4. static content served (not sure if wp can handle this one)
5. CDN
6. aggregating and gziping css & js
7. cut down any images needed for theme (less server hit)
8. apache keep alive

Old 11-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

If your web server can or does support it you can look at implementing spdy. It's available for Google Chrome and Firefox. Great if you have SSL enabled.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

@duckz

Indeed my site is relatively media heavy, its an electronic dance music site, so pictures, streaming links to youtube and soundcloud. social media stuff, analytics too... It's also on shared hosting with bluehost.

8. apache keep alive

How would I go I go about implementing any of these? I already have CDN set up with cloudflare

@Concerto49

How do you implement "spdy" ?

Thanks for the great replies!

Old 11-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
@duckz
@Concerto49

If you are on a virtual or dedicated server, look up spdy + your web server. It might be supported. Apache has this readily available already as mod-spdy.

If you are on a shared host, you might like to ask your host to see if they can do it.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

@Concerto49 indeed I am with bluehost on a shared hosting plan, tommorow I need to call them about optimizing my CDN and will also mention this. Thanks

Old 11-04-2012, 08:25 AM

Personally I would get away from shared. If you have the ability to switch over to Nginx you will notice a big difference in performance over Apache and they do now make a cpanel plugin for it. Google nginxcp.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:40 AM

Hi. I would like to put my 2 cents. Try to change your theme to a simpler one. Or cut off some features like images, forms, social media buttons, and less info on the page.

Try to turn off your plugins and start turning them on one by one, until you find which one caused you a problem. Many times it is just one or two plugins that make this problem.

Of course, if you can switch to a dedicated server, It would be much easier to resolve this issue. But only if you can afford it.

Last edited by snakeair; 11-04-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: merged posts - use the EDIT feature

Old 11-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Unfortunately changing my theme is not and option at this point, I use the theme "U-Design" which is widely regarded as a very well made theme. I investigated into the theme a little more to see if people complained about it's speed but could find nothing.

I called my host "Bluehost" and they did could not provide and optimization tips for w3 total cache plugin. They did recommend me towards using gtmetrix which I have already been using.

Plugins are as minimal as I can make them. According to p3 plugin profiler the only real plugin I have making an impact that perhaps could be changed is SEO ultimate (which I really like)

Yesterday however I made some great speed up progress. Using photoshop's save for web option I re uploaded all of my static images used on the site and reduced the loading size of the site from 3.45 mgb to 1.92mgb.

So basically now I need to work on the only things left on the gtmetrix report...but even with some googling I need some help on these issues:

Specify image dimensions
Remove query strings from static resources
Defer parsing of JavaScript
Avoid a character set in the meta tag
Remove unused CSS
Use efficient CSS selectors
Leverage browser caching

Old 11-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
@duckz

Indeed my site is relatively media heavy, its an electronic dance music site, so pictures, streaming links to youtube and soundcloud. social media stuff, analytics too... It's also on shared hosting with bluehost.

8. apache keep alive

How would I go I go about implementing any of these? I already have CDN set up with cloudflare

@Concerto49

Thanks for the great replies!
For all of those steps I mentioned above, you'll need a VPS server and the way to setup the server is vary from different hosting and different flavour of linux installed.

Also keep in mind different VPS with different hosting actualy different in terms of speed. in my experience using the same code base in godaddy VPS and mediatemple vps resulted in different speed in terms of page loading (mediatemple is on average about 2 second faster).

Off course the price between godaddy plans and mediatemple is also different with media temple is about 30% more expensive.

in summary 8 seconds for heavy media site running on wp and a shared hosting is probably the best that you can get. Don't bother removing plugins etc, nowdays rather than slimming your site to a point where it is not usable, better upgrade the hardware to cope with the site features.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Yah doing about 100 unique viewers a day after just over 2 months of starting...not bad if I say so myself, once I have more views and get merchandise up and make a little money I will upgrade my hosting. Currently I pay 5$ a month pretty much...so do you guys have some recommendations for the fastest host with cpanel for around $30 a month or less

Old 11-08-2012, 05:36 AM

Can you change your host? i think a VPS would be better for you, i use myhosting and they work great!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

I checked them out but their plans start at $40 a month which is more than I want to pay at the moment.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum