Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Discuss web hosting related stuff.

Share |
Old 10-31-2012, 09:44 AM
v7n Mentor

Question Next step up from shared hosting?

I have tried many of the popular shared hosts, and they keep letting me down. I don't need much tech support, just a server that will actually stay up most of the time.

I just need your standard PHP, MySQL, SSL & a cPanel, with support for 10-15 websites. Hosts like BlueHost and HostGator have the right feature sets, they just seem to go down too often. And BlueHost is really getting on my nerves lately, throttling a lot of people's sites and forcing WordPress upgrades.

What is the next step up? Going to a VPS or something like that? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

A VPS does not always deliver better service than a shared host. The primary thing you gain is more control. You have to buy pretty far up the VPS price list to beat the service you have now.

You might consider looking for a better grade of host. The ones you mentioned are selling to the mass market. An account on a non-overloaded server in the $15-$25 a month range might serve you better. No I don't have any specific suggestions.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, the next step up is a VPS A VPS will keep your resources separate from others. So it will be up to you to optimize the sites so they run well.

What kind of budget do you have? Moving to a VPS with cPanel will cost quite a bit more than a regular shard hosting account.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

A lot of times a good shared hosting account can outperform a vps. If you get a vps and want cpanel, you'll have the additional cost of the cpanel license which is around $15.00/per month.

If you look around, you can sometimes get an account on a less crowded server for what you'd pay for just cpanel.

Chad

Old 11-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

barebone vps without any management gui such as cpanel or plesk usually is faster than shared hosting but its a pain to manage and install. This is the upgrade path if you want to get lowest vps package.

if you are running like 10 - 15 sites with quite large number of page views, then it is time to upgrade to VPS.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:42 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScooter View Post
I have tried many of the popular shared hosts, and they keep letting me down. I don't need much tech support, just a server that will actually stay up most of the time.

I just need your standard PHP, MySQL, SSL & a cPanel, with support for 10-15 websites. Hosts like BlueHost and HostGator have the right feature sets, they just seem to go down too often. And BlueHost is really getting on my nerves lately, throttling a lot of people's sites and forcing WordPress upgrades.

What is the next step up? Going to a VPS or something like that? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?
If you are technically sound than you can purchase the plain server else its always better to purchase the VPS/Cloud with minimum 2GB RAM and cPanel control panel.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:12 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Did you talk with the hosts about what the issue(s) were? Was it a performance, stability or network issue?

At least for us, this is why we chose to go the premium route - A+B redundant power and network. Reduces downtime and network issues.

If you are choosing to go with a VPS as others have said your budget will be more. You might also prefer a "managed" vps to save your some hassle if you can afford it.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
A lot of times a good shared hosting account can outperform a vps
Can't say as I would agree with that. If you find a VPS host that severely oversells and a shared host that does not completely stuff their servers than maybe. But compare your average VPS against your average shared hosting and the VPS is going to far outperform the shared hosting.

I really don't see any reason to go with shared hosting these days when you can get non-oversold high performance VPS hosting (SSD) for $20-25 a month. Checkout Gridvirt or Ramnode for example. For the price of 1 meal out for you and your girlfriend you have top notch performance hosting that far surpasses any shared hosting you will find.

@ the op the reasons most of these servers go down is because of the nature of shared hosting and how resources are shared. 1 user can have a spike or a bad script that goes crazy and it can effect all other accounts on the server and cause downtime. Do your research and choose a good VPS provider and you will see a big difference in downtime and slowdowns. Of course if you don't do your homework and chosse a bad VPS provider you will most likely run into the same problem.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Banned

I think the next step is a VPS.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:59 AM

The nest step after shared hosting can be a cloud hosting.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I have tried many of the popular shared hosts, and they keep letting me down.don't need much tech support, just a server that will actually stay up most of the time.

Bluehost and Hostgator are the came company (EIG)

You will notice a huge difference in a quality environment. EIG manages all of the low end (unlimited) brands with extremely locked down and limited environments.

Though to the WordPress comment, people dont update, get taken down by bots with new exploits and then get angry at the provider.

If you dont want the hassle of a vps theb the choixe of a quality host will be beneficial

Old 11-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

As others have said what you need is a good company. VPS can still fail. You need to find one that will help you in the long term.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:03 AM
Banned

Quote:

Where you satisfied with the answers of the support technicians from Bluehost and Hostgator? Did they provide you with all the necessary information?

When I called them, they were quite polite and gave me all the details over the phone.

Actually, their uptime rates are not so high, but 99.9% uptime ( as all the companies indicate on their site) is not real as well.

Just compare the uptime rates of these two companies ( the screen are given in the screenshorts) and make your own conclusions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hostgator uptime.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	16869   Click image for larger version

Name:	bluehost uptime.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	16870  

Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natcoweb. View Post
The nest step after shared hosting can be a cloud hosting.
Shared hosting -> then shared cloud hosting -> then go for cloud VPS..

Old 11-16-2012, 01:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by binil View Post
Shared hosting -> then shared cloud hosting -> then go for cloud VPS..
I guess if you are planning to upgrade from shared hosting, it is better to upgrade directly to a Cloud VPS. There is no need to buy shared hosting on Cloud as the server located on Cloud machine won't work quicker than a simple shared hosting server.

With the Cloud server you will be able to modify the server resources anytime you want this.If your server for example is overloaded and you want to add more memory ,cpu or disk space, you can just push one button and add additional resources for your server.You can also decrease the number of server resources in the same way if you see for example, that your server doesn't need 2 GB of Ram and 2 Cpu, but is working without any problems with one CPU and 1 Gb of RAM.

This is the main advantage of the Cloud technology.Moreover, with a Cloud server you get more stability and data security as your data is located on the San disk massive.

Having a Cloud server, you can independently increase the virtual server resources within one hypervisor.
Donít be afraid of the instant users inrush or server load increase which can be created by the scripts. Just enter your client control panel and choose the necessary (for the moment) number of resources using the cursor. After making the changes, your Cloud server will get rebooted and will start working with the new parameters. You can change the Cloud server resources even several times per day, moreover, you will always pay only for the resources which you are going to use.

Please mind that in Cloud your server is located on several servers at the same time , so, the failure of one of these servers wonít influence your resource performance.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:05 AM

Think that the best solution to switch from shared account is VPS.
Since VPS has had much better uptime, is much faster, and gives you much more freedom, since you can install any panel you want, it will be the best option.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:25 AM

why buy an expensive vps, just get a good hosting

Old 11-17-2012, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akil01 View Post
why buy an expensive vps, just get a good hosting
Did you read the thread creators opening post?

Old 11-19-2012, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

There are non overselling hosts that charge $25 or so for shared hosting. You can try some of them and probably take multiple accounts since you have a number of sites.

Otherwise, you may get a decent dedicated server. Small VPS normally do not offer much resources and many people when they outgrow, realise that that need a dedicated server rather than VPS.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:

Don't give up on shared hosting yet. I'm not sure about an issue with WordPress upgrades, but I use Blue Genesis for about 40 sites. It is a shared IP environment, but I've not had an issue with performance. For example, if I need an ASP server for hosting a site, and the performance is slower than anticipated, they usually accommodate moving to a less crowed server for better ASP performance, without issue.

There are reasonable packages for all types of hosting functionality and the number of hosting accounts required as well. Their Sales Account team along with Tier 1 and 2 support teams are pretty good at resolving any issues that come up. However, if you're good at support and managing servers for installs, upgrades etc, they offer stand alone server options as well.

Of note - I'm not an affiliate - I am a customer using their VMS hosting.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum