Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Discuss web hosting related stuff.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 11-05-2012, 03:43 AM

The "traffic" was dirt cheap. Hosting is slightly more expensive.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

I used free hosts for a number of years, but I eventually got tired of the limitations.

Paid traffic makes no sense to me... By posting material that people want to read, I get visitors from various search engines.

If you are attempting to get people to join your forum, it might work better to talk about your forum on your Facebook, and invite your friends to come and give advise.

I had people join my forum and make several posts when I started it, but I wasn't able to keep it going... It seems like most people would rather send me an email, rather than post in the open.

Back to the original problem of paid traffic, they say that you get what you pay for, and if the paid traffic was cheaper than paid hosting, there may well be lesson there...

Old 11-05-2012, 09:42 AM

Yeah, it does look like this paid traffic was a huge mistake! :/ But that's what AdSense is, albeit hugely more refined

I'll make the jump to paid hosting as soon as I've trialed the idea and concept of my site, and won't hang around until I gain the money. You have to give something to get something I suppose.

And thank you for the advice. A lesson learned with the traffic!

Michael

Old 11-06-2012, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

Free hosting can cause you trouble even if you dont buy traffic, they can suspend your account for various reasons. Also through buying traffic method you cannot expect that some of the vistors will like your post because they just visit your site for the sake of making a hit and earn points, money etc(such traffic mostly generated by bots as Chad said above).

Old 11-06-2012, 09:43 AM

If I take regular backups I should be able just to move everything over to a paid host (if/when) it is suspended, I should think.

And yeah, the bots thing renders me speechless. I can understand they wouldn't want to advertise that, but they declare openly that it is "human" visitors. Surely there is some internet law against this?

Michael

Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintsmike View Post

And yeah, the bots thing renders me speechless. I can understand they wouldn't want to advertise that, but they declare openly that it is "human" visitors. Surely there is some internet law against this?

Michael
Think about this for a minute. They hire people to visit sites at the rate of 1/2 cent per click or less. Even someone in a third world country would be silly to work for that rate. But if they write or buy a cheap bot program they can do something else while those pages load and close. The company has complete deniablity.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Poor hosting is giving you a free service, yet you're mad at them. It doesn't hurt to read their terms of use before checking that accept terms of use box.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:18 PM

You all make me sound pretty bad

Lessons to be learned I think!

Old 11-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

I suspect most of us learned that the hard way.

I will admit that I did.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintsmike View Post
My "free" webhost have decided to suspend my account for "excessive CPU usage". I believe the problem may stem from the fact that I bought traffic (10,000 untargeted visitors) for my website. Within just about 1,000 of them, they decided that this couldn't be sustained. I think that's scandalous, and the only decent website that might get a traffic of less than that would be a small personal website and I believe that is what the free company cater to. Not hard to believe that brandished all over their "Over CPU usage" error page are advertisements to upgrade to their "Premium" paid hosting service.

I had hoped that my website would be sustained on a free host until I was making enough gains from advertising that I could withstand the cost, so in the short term I have applied to another free host, that look as if they have a little more kudos about them.

I just wanted to know if, in your experience, I am likely to be chasing the same problem all around the internet and if free hosting really is "free"?

Thanks,
Michael
In my opinion, free hosting is like a piece of cheese in the trap.

Usually it looks like this with free hosting providers: The hosting company is offering you a place for hosting for a time while you perform a specific job or anything else, but if they don't like the contents you host or the the quantity of resources you are using don't suit them, they can simply throw you away from this company as your don't pay a penny for the hosting plan.

I don't think that you will feel comfortable with a free host for a long time.
If you place your website on the providerís server for free,you will have to pay for this service anyway(this is proved).

Old 11-08-2012, 04:40 AM

Thank you everybody for your advice

Michael

Old 11-08-2012, 05:12 AM

"free" is very expensive. you can use pay hosting.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Closed Thread