Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Discuss web hosting related stuff.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 10-31-2012, 09:54 AM

Hosting Suspension!

My "free" webhost have decided to suspend my account for "excessive CPU usage". I believe the problem may stem from the fact that I bought traffic (10,000 untargeted visitors) for my website. Within just about 1,000 of them, they decided that this couldn't be sustained. I think that's scandalous, and the only decent website that might get a traffic of less than that would be a small personal website and I believe that is what the free company cater to. Not hard to believe that brandished all over their "Over CPU usage" error page are advertisements to upgrade to their "Premium" paid hosting service.

I had hoped that my website would be sustained on a free host until I was making enough gains from advertising that I could withstand the cost, so in the short term I have applied to another free host, that look as if they have a little more kudos about them.

I just wanted to know if, in your experience, I am likely to be chasing the same problem all around the internet and if free hosting really is "free"?

Thanks,
Michael

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Yes!

More than likely that is exactly what you will be doing. Buying worthless traffic might also get you into trouble with many budget hosting companies also. My advice would be not to waste the money buying the worthless traffic.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:39 PM

Well I thought maybe of 10,000 visitors 4/5 might be interested in what I'm presenting? And that's really all I need at this moment

Or is it not even going to be that?

Michael

Old 10-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

A large spike in visitors in one day or very short time span could put some stress on the server that you are on. Build up traffic without buying it next time. While you build up the traffic over time, keep making tweaks to your site so when it's time to go with paid hosting, you just move over and that's it.

To be honest with you I'd stay away from free web hosts. Why not add a donation button to your site and ask for donation's to keep it running. This of ways to earn money besides the advertising spots you have on your site.

The more server resources that you eat up, the more chances you will be suspended again. Here is a good article to read on free web hosting. http://www.doteasy.com/web-hosting-a...eb-hosting.cfm

Old 10-31-2012, 02:14 PM

I'm reluctant to monetize the website in any way whatsoever (donations or AdSense/contextual ads..) because of the Tax implications! Whenever I research them, they just seem to get more and more complicated, and I don't know where to find advice other than a Tax Lawyer :/

And, the company which serves the traffic allow me to set a daily cap. So would it be appropriate to maybe set that at 100?

Michael

Old 10-31-2012, 02:16 PM

Do about 100 and with your own marketing, you will be fine and I think won't trigger anything on your free web host.

Stay under there radar.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintsmike View Post
My "free" webhost have decided to suspend my account for "excessive CPU usage". I believe the problem may stem from the fact that I bought traffic (10,000 untargeted visitors) for my website. Within just about 1,000 of them, they decided that this couldn't be sustained. I think that's scandalous
What is scandalous is you buying traffic just to make money from your advertisements!

If you have money to buy fake traffic, why can't you afford regular hosting?

Just because the host offers free hosting, I am certain they still have Terms of Use associated to their free hosting services which you should have read and accepted to adhere to prior to uploading your site onto their servers.

So don't fret or be upset with the free hosting company if you violated their terms of service by 1) exceeding your alloted bandwidth and 2) purchasing fake and unnatural traffic

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Old 10-31-2012, 02:49 PM

Oh no, I don't mean to cast the impression that I bought traffic to earn extra advertisement revenue! I don't even have ads! And don't plan to for maybe the next two years. The traffic was simply in an effort to expand my forum membership from 1 member (myself) to two or three!

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression

Michael

Old 11-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

To be honest. Most if not all of those sites who sell you traffic for your site are using bots to visit your site and not real humans.

Frankly I wouldn't waste money on buying un targeted visitors. I've done it once and found out they were using bots. No one signed up or anything.

I'd focus on posting in related forums, and commenting on related blogs. You'll have more chance at getting sign ups that way.

Chad

Old 11-01-2012, 11:18 AM

Bots! Now that's scandalous! Who would ever want bots, other than the company who collects the money at the end of the day. The only benefit to the webmaster might be if he's really lonely and just wants to be mesmerised by some figures on his Adsense account!

Old 11-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Banned

It is free hosting, but with very limited resources and CPU usage, so it is better to go for paid hosting.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:10 PM

Are they so limited that I can't run a public website?

Old 11-01-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintsmike View Post
Are they so limited that I can't run a public website?
They just give out a certain amount of space/bandwidth with the ultimate goal of forcing you to upgrade in a short time span. Free hosts need to pay for there server bills and operation costs so they will find way's to insert ads on your site and not give you to much room to run your site if it get's a lot of traffic so you forced to upgrade.

I never trust free web hosts. The word "FREE" will get a ton of people to signup but eventually their website will get big or high traffic spikes that get's there account into trouble. None of us can predict when our website will get popular over-night and our traffic is tripled. Having a paid host will give you more then enough room to run your site for more then a year before having to think about upgrading to a more expensive shared hosting package.

I'm not saying that you should use hostgator but look at there cheapest shared hosting package. It's very afordable and you can upgrade to other shared packages. http://hostgator.com/shared

Create another thread if you want suggestions on cheap shared web hosts.

Last edited by snakeair; 11-01-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:42 PM

But is it an idea to let it lie there until I can make some money to cover the costs via advertising?

Michael

Old 11-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Never used one but a free host may be a viable way to test a concept for low volume or personal sites. I don't presume to judge any one who uses one. There is always going to be a big flat spot between the test phase and the commercial sales potential. That flat spot has to be covered with an investment of your $ to take it to the next level.

I don't mean to sound pompous or condescending but if you can't or choose not afford $60 a year to host your site why are you even bothering? Really think about it, look at the bigger picture.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:37 AM

Oh I can afford $60+ a year, it's just the principle of the thing: I might be spending that year after year and have a failed website that I can attract no returning visitors to and gain no revenue to cover the costs for!

Michael

Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

And what did you spend on dinner and drinks the last time you went out? How many vending coffee or drinks did you buy last year?

A little off topic with this reply but I think it makes a point.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:16 AM

I suppose you make a good point. Thank you for the advice

I'll upgrade when this host gives me problems, and move up from there.

Thanks,
Michael Renfrew

Old 11-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

its weird man, you are willing to pay for "traffic" but not for hosting?.

Shouldn't it the other way around?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:53 AM
Banned

I can't get how one is able to to pay for "traffic" but not for hosting, how can it be?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Closed Thread