Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Discuss web hosting related stuff.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 11-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Email Issues

I have a server on hostgator and have multiple websites hosted on the server. I have a few clients emailing in saying that they are receiving FAILED DELIVERY emails on their email accounts. Each person has their own email setup @ their domain. I activated the "spam assassin", however they are still having this issue.

It seems like maybe someone is using their email address as the return address. I wasn't sure if anyone else has had this issue, and if so how do you fix it.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Banned

Email delivery failures can occur due the many reasons, two of them are as follows:
  • Server could be overloaded because of the unnecessary scripts and applications
  • Default port for email server (port 25) might be blocked due to the outgoing spam emails

The best option for you to contact HG support department, they will check the server logs and investigate the issue.

Or

Paste exact error message here.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

I guess something that I left out is the fact that my clients are not sending emails to the email addresses that they receive the failure to send message from.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Banned

You will have to contact HG support department to investigate the issue, because I think in your case email spoofing caused the problem. These days, email spoofing is a hot trend and many spammer use it to execute their activities. It allows them to send fake email header so that the email message appears to have initiated from someone other than the actual email.

For more information: Spoofing

Old 11-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel View Post
I guess something that I left out is the fact that my clients are not sending emails to the email addresses that they receive the failure to send message from.
That sounds like a fairly old email harvesting or phishing trick.

People can fake addresses and header any time they want to. My son can sit down at the computer, open a program, and send mail to or from any address he desires. I am not going to share the how 2 we have enough of that going on without teaching some one else how to do it.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 AM

make sure your IP are not blocked.
make sure clients are trying to sending bulk email (like email marketing) from your shared ip

Old 11-30-2012, 12:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel View Post
I have a server on hostgator and have multiple websites hosted on the server. I have a few clients emailing in saying that they are receiving FAILED DELIVERY emails on their email accounts. Each person has their own email setup @ their domain. I activated the "spam assassin", however they are still having this issue.

It seems like maybe someone is using their email address as the return address. I wasn't sure if anyone else has had this issue, and if so how do you fix it.

Thank you in advance for your time.
The domain can be hacked and that is why spam is getting sent from the email accounts, even when Spamassassin is enabled.

I advise you to check the domain files for viruses, different exploits , update your mail accounts and FTP passwords and finally install Firewall on the server.
I advise you to install CSF onto the server, it will block all the spam sendings , attacks and port flooding.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:12 AM

check that whether they have send on correct mail id or not. Some time during typing the id people miss one character for which the message not deliver to correct id.So,I think you should check for that first.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 AM

I will suggest you to the do the following.

* Chnage the mail account password and do not reveal it to anyone.
* Use strong passwords which contains alpha numeric characters.
* configure spam assasin, and email filters to block spam mails.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

Since many of your clients are companing, I guess your account is compromised. May be you have some trojen in your system, which accessed the cPanel password. Clean your system with multiple antivirus / toolkit removers and change all - cPanel, FTP, email accounts - passwords. You may also contact the host for help.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemcherry View Post
Since many of your clients are companing, I guess your account is compromised. May be you have some trojen in your system, which accessed the cPanel password. Clean your system with multiple antivirus / toolkit removers and change all - cPanel, FTP, email accounts - passwords. You may also contact the host for help.
We can advise you to perform the following steps in order to protect all your files & whole server from further attacks :

- check your local computer for Trojan/Viruses - and install reliable AntiVirus to your computer in case it wasn't installed . Your computer could be infected by some malicious software that use your cached passwords in order to attack scripts/accounts in the internet;
- check up all your sites, erase and update weak passwords to more strong ;
- you can use online scanners also . The following ones can be used :

We would like to pay your attention to such attacks in future and take the necessary actions from your side. We would like to advise you to check up all your sites, update forums, all installed scripts from time to time.

Additionally, we kindly ask you to make your own backups for security reasons, along with our server backups.
Do not keep same passwords for too long, change them at least once in a month.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

I contacted HG and found out that some of the email accounts on the server had been hacked and that was the issue. They actually went through and fixed the issue within 4-6 hours. HG was great help in assisting me with this issue.

Thank you everyone for all of the feedback. I made sure that everyone changed their pw's.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Closed Thread