Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Discuss web hosting related stuff.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 08-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Is there anyone experiencing problem with Hostgator?

Hello Everyone,

I want to know whether Hostgator is working ok today. Regarding my sites, hostgator is telling me that they are transferring the data in a new hardware and my sites will resume after the transfer completes. My question is how long this transfer might take and I have asked this question from Hostgator but I did not get any response yet.

I got a message from Hostgator in morning and their message was as below but after that I got no response from them.

"We are pleased to inform you that we have started the migration process for your shared account. At this time we are transferring all data from your current shared server onto brand new hardware. Once the migration has completed, we will send another update that contains new IP addresses and information on any DNS changes that will need to be made. We will also be forwarding all traffic from your old account to the new server. This will allow you to immediately view your website on the new hardware."

Is there anyone who knows what exactly is going and how soon we can start working on our sites? Please help.

Thank You

Old 08-20-2013, 08:10 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Hey Blogger,

I can only tell you what my experience was after I recieved a similar email from Host Gator at the end of May.

After the migration I started noticing a higher bounce rate on my sites. Watching the sites carefully I saw that the page load times were extremely high, but only on an intermittent basis. The times for the same page would vary between a little over 2 seconds to well over 20 seconds, sometimes within a 5 minute window. I never saw the sub 2 second load times I'd seen on the older server.

When I contacted Hostgator they aknowledged that it was a problem on their end and that they were working to fix it. However, they weren't able to fix it. Towards the end, the last week or so, they back tracked and said it was either my site, or that it was just the nature of a shared hosting environment. It was not the nature of the previous shared hosting environment, nothing had changed with my site, and from what I was reading online at the time, I wasn't the only one having issues after the migration.

I finally gave up at the end of July, almost 8 weeks later, and moved to another hosting company.

Billy

Old 08-22-2013, 06:43 PM

None would be able to determine the ETA it takes to migrate everything except for your host as they're the ones doing it and know how much data is to be migrated.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Banned

how much does hostgator charge for 1 year domain?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmango View Post
how much does hostgator charge for 1 year domain?
Visit there website to find out. Do you have any advice for the thread creator or did you not read any replies in this thread?

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 08-30-2013, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I also have this problem but today !

Old 08-31-2013, 10:08 AM

They seem to be having lots of issues the past couple months. Myself personally, I haven't had any. I have a shared account there, but I hardly use it. I have a email provider setup on the account. Only about 20 users or so, but nobody has said anything about downtime.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:01 AM
Contributing Member

My accounts (have 2 account with them) faced issues in last couple of months, with one of them taking a long time to stabilize post migration. However, now it is back to normal and I am not facing any problem since last one month or so.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Hostgator recently moved to Bluehost's data center in Provo, Utah. They used to be hosted in Softlayer's data centers in Houston, Texas. (You know Hostgator and Bluehost are the same company, just different brands now, right?)

The new data center is much slower and lots of people have been experiencing issues since then.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:33 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Ok for me .. I have 2 account both are working.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

A lot of people had issues during migration, but it is more or less over now. Hostgator lost a lot of reputation and goodwill, they are no more the favourite of the mass. It seems almost every company goes downhill after take over by EIG.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:18 AM

If they transfer your account to a more recent and efficient server, this is a good thing for you in the long term. This kind of things will happen with any host.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum