Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Discuss web hosting related stuff.

Share |
Old 03-20-2004, 02:00 AM

LunarPages????

This is my first post to this message board. First off let me say that you are doing a great job here johnscott I am very impressed.

Anyways, my question is I noticed that in last years archived message board you had a slight problem with LunarPages. I am seriously concidering going with them because they seem to be the best deal for me at this time. Are they all they say they are cracked up to be or are they just blowing smoke up the pipes??

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2004, 04:21 AM
Individualist

Max (the owner) is a great guy, personally. But I do not agree with the way he does things as a host. This forum used to be located at www.webmaster-forum.net and was hosted by LunarPages for a couple months. We get a lot of traffic, and it appeared that LunarPages couldn't handle it. The server wouldn't go down - it just wasn't accepting as many connections as we needed it to. So, many visitors were getting 404 errors.

Another thing was, one client site was on LunarPages and when the server crashed, they most recent back-up they had was several months old.

If you don't plan on getting a lot of traffic, though, it might be just what you're looking for.

LunarPages versus V7 Inc

Backups

Let’s say you run an insecure script on your website such as WordPress or phpBB. (Not that those scripts are insecure; just saying that most hackings tend to be due to insecurities in those popular scripts, perhaps because they are so popular.) A hacker gains access, deletes your files. Whatever would you do?

A V7 Inc customer would simply ask for a backup to be restored. A LunarPages customer would have to start over from scratch.

One good friend of mine, James Kujala, used to host a motorcycle resource site and forum on LunarPages. But when LunarPages experienced server failure, all his files and databases were lost. When LunarPages finally got around to restoring their back-up, James was shocked to find that all of the files were several months old. In fact his website had been redesigned, and hundreds of pages added. LunarPages lost all those files and data, permanently, and the cost to Jim was too much. He decided to move to V7 Inc, where we perform daily, weekly and monthly data back-ups.

Server Resources

Way back when, before the beginning of time, the predecessor to the current V7N Webmaster Community was hosted on LunarPages. Remember, this is back before we entered the web hosting market. In fact, the shoddy service from LunarPages was the impetus for starting a web hosting service.

The customer service at LunarPages was very friendly, and responsive, but not exactly forthcoming. Every time the server became unresponsive, we would notice it, and ask LunarPages what was up. They would typically respond that the server is up now. Essentially, their policy appeared to be one of ignoring problems until they were resolved, and then responding.

However, with a message board, downtime gets noticed. And the thing is, the server was not technically down. The server was just to the point where it was not accepting new connections, and was unresponsive to members attempting to browse the forum or post on the forum, but not technically down.

It’s a problem that LunarPages still deals with. I dare say, it is a problem LunarPages has chosen to deal with permanently, insofar as it is their policy to 500+ websites on a single server. It’s like putting 40 people in a Geo Metro and expecting it to still move.

What are they good for anyway?

Now you may think that LunarPages sounds awful. It really isn’t, though. LunarPages is a typical web host. In fact, it may be an above average web host.

LunarPages is not the place to host your high traffic web site. LunarPages is not the place to host your business web site. LunarPages is the perfect place to host your web page about, say, navel lint. Or pictures of you and Bubba bowling. Or you and Bubba playing with navel lint.

Old 03-20-2004, 07:15 PM

What do you suggest?

This is what I am doing it for...

When this website is first going to be launched I can't imagine anything over 100 visitors a day. eventually I am looking to add shopping card features. Basically hoping in the first 2 years to bring my clients site up to about 1000+ visitors a day. From what you are saying lunar pages will not be able to handle that and I would need to switch hosts.

Old 03-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Individualist

Quote:
Basically hoping in the first 2 years to bring my clients site up to about 1000+ visitors a day. From what you are saying lunar pages will not be able to handle that and I would need to switch hosts.
Pretty much.

You can also do a search for LunarPages on this forum and see what other people think of it:

http://www.internet-marketing-resear...topic3681.html
http://www.internet-marketing-resear...utra19134.html

Only two I could find offhand.

Old 03-20-2004, 07:31 PM

Yeah I saw the one of them earlier

83% uptime ouch is that a normal occurance for them. Well that is kind of hurting. Can you give me a suggestion on what would be the best to go with for what I am going to need.

Old 03-20-2004, 07:36 PM
Individualist

Of course I would recommend www.v7inc.com

But if you need cheap, I would recommend LCF Hosting (see the footer of the forum - they are a sponsor), or RealWebHost.net.

http://www.hostdetective.net/

You can see user ratings there.

Old 03-20-2004, 07:46 PM

V7 looks to be a good host

It seems that that V7 might be a good choice for my client we are not looking for cheap so much if it can handle the trafic flow that we are hoping for in the next few years. we are not planning on any huge forums or anything to that affect it will manly be used for shopping purposes along with a small message forum. There is alot of potential I see in this company for the e-commerce world but he has little to no activity now.

Old 03-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Individualist

We host some very high traffic sites. That's probably our "specialty". www.drew-barrymore.org did well over 100GB last month. This forum does good traffic too. We have a lot of sites that do over 5,000 unique visitors per day, and no complaints.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum