Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Discuss web hosting related stuff.

Share |
Old 08-21-2008, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

What is the difference between Linux and Windows hosting?

Hello guys could you please explain the main differences between these two hosting types? What websites it is better to host on linux-based servers and what on windows ones? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Banned

As an end user there is no difference whether you are hosting with Linux or Windows.
One point we can figure out is that if you are in need of so much Microsoft components like ASP, MSSQL etc go for Windows. Other issues like security etc are always debatable. And it is more of a personal choice. And it does not depend much upon what type of site you want to host rather what components you want to use. Hope this helps.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:44 AM

One difference is that, under Linux hosting, path and file names are case-sensitive. When developing sites under Windows, it's very easy to miss case differences which will prevent files from loading under Linux hosting.

Since I've never run a site under Windows hosting, I don't know if the case-insensitivity applies there or not. I'd presume that it does but don't know for certain.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Contributing Member

The one more important thing in that differs windows hosting platforms from linux is price. Since linux is free to distribute it is cheaper to host sites under this platform, sometimes this price differs significantly.

Also, as Matt has already said, windows hosting is needed to if you are using the MS applications in building or running your site. Linux doesn't support them, while windows platform supports every kind of internet software. Though linux is more popular, possibly because of less amount of bugs and easiness of administration.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Banned

Another consideration is that if you need to do something beyond what is easy with the software interface such as Plesk, you have different approaches. With Linux, it seems that you must use a secure server host (SSH) via software like PUTTY, and everything is extremely old fashioned. You use commands and file paths to do everything and see everything (like in the DOS prompt mode). I'm not terribly fond of this aspect. It reminds me of computers in the 1980s. With Windows based server, you can use software from Microsoft that allows you to interact with the sever in an environment that looks like your computer desktop (i.e. self explanatory, labeled icons revealing other self explanatory menus). I haven't had the pleasure of using Microsoft's Remote Desktop for this, but I'm pretty sure I would prefer it.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Contributing Member

there is no perfect hosting at the moment that allows you to do anything, since its a shared hosting, you are limited in certain way. Either its linux or windows server.

most importantly, ask yourself, what script you going to run in the server. And then look for your hosting services based on your requirements.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Linux hosting is generally cheaper and more reliable.
If you need to run .net scripts then you have to go with Windows hosting.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:28 AM
Banned

I like the Matt's idea in here. You are asking about better company for linux or windows what you mean under that? What would you like to compare etc.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:33 PM

Here is an article that covers the differences between the two. It may help:
http://blog.readysetconnect.com/2008...r-web-hosting/

Old 09-07-2008, 01:07 PM

linux platforms are definitely better - better performance and cheaper too.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

Linux cheaper but will not run all application.
widows will run all application u need like php asp .net ms sql etc

Old 10-08-2008, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

Do you really think that is reasonable to post in the 5 year old thread?

Old 10-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Banned

Difference between Linux and Windows Hosting

LINUX HOSTING

Linux is an open source system and is therefore more cost-effective to operate and maintain than Windows, meaning that Linux hosting will cost you less than Windows hosting. Linux also has a reputation for stability and speed which means that Linux web servers will crash less often than Windows web servers and Linux runs most processes faster than Windows.

Linux supports a wide range of software, applications, languages, and databases such as PHP, Perl, PostGre, MySQL, PostgreSQL and many others making it very scalable. On the downside, Linux is not fully compatible with some Microsoft technologies so if you are using Access, ASP, MS SQL, or VB development tools then Windows would be a better bet.

WINDOWS HOSTING

The main "advantage" or distinction of Windows servers is that they can run Microsoft software such as Access and MS SQL databases. Windows servers also offer web developers the use of Microsoft's programming environments such as Active Server Pages (ASP), Visual Basic Scripts, MS Index Server.

Users can develop web site using the familiar interface of Microsoft tools such as, Visual Interdev, and Microsoft Access. With ASP users can develop a database-driven web site using Microsoft Access and Microsoft SQL as the database

Old 10-10-2008, 03:47 AM

if you are going to run a simple website - don't buy Windows hosting, it will be as fast and stable as the one on Linux
The advantage of the Linux hosting is that it's cheaper.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:17 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodzollder View Post
if you are going to run a simple website - don't buy Windows hosting, it will be as fast and stable as the one on Linux
The advantage of the Linux hosting is that it's cheaper.
So as far as I can see, linux hosting is more suitable solution for small websites and windows for bigger ones, right?

Old 10-13-2008, 03:26 AM

not exactly

Those who sell windows hosting are obliged to pay for Windows OS they run to provide the service and its quite expansive; as a result, hosting they sell becomes expansive too. Windows hosting is necessary for those who develop websites and supporting software for ASP-based sites and web applications.

On the other hand, Linux is free primordially, not taking into account corporate support packages (RedHat enterprise, for instance). It is also good for big/huge solutions and definitely it's more secure and stable, but its not compatible with ASP web applications.

The conclusion is: if you don't plan to run ASP-based website - don't waste your money.
You will not feel the difference in performance, only in price

Regards
Eugen

sd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DProf4online View Post
So as far as I can see, linux hosting is more suitable solution for small websites and windows for bigger ones, right?

Old 11-05-2008, 11:32 PM

Linux hosting is for linux based Operating systems and windows for windows operating systems.Linux supports a wide range of software, applications, languages, and databases.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanko007a View Post
linux platforms are definitely better - better performance and cheaper too.
So, if Linux hosting is better why it is cheaper then?

Old 11-13-2008, 11:23 PM

Linux is an open source operating system. It is very cheaper and it is very longer than widows servers.Windows hosting is more expensive.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkooper View Post
Here is an article that covers the differences between the two. It may help:
http://blog.readysetconnect.com/2008...r-web-hosting/
Thanks for the article, I have added +1 to it!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum