Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby > Web Usability

Web Usability Discuss and review websites for better usability.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 05-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Banned

Hi ,

Displaying 404 error page good idea, then only visitors comes to know , they are trying to non existing page / url.

Soman

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-15-2009, 03:35 PM

I am finding this all very confusing.

I very much need to accomplish what you are talking about here but I'm not sure how to do it.

Could some one please explain what you do exactly?

Old 07-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Administrator

First of all you need to understand what the purpose of the 404 error is. It appears when the web server does not find the page requested.

Next, if you have a missing page or server failure, then the visitor should see a custom error page. This way they don't feel lost, like when the web hosting company shows their standard error page.

If you want to have the www version of your website served to the visitor instead of the non www version (or visa versa) then you need a 301 permanent redirect instruction done in your .htaccess file (Apache servers).

Old 07-17-2009, 10:48 AM

html-

I'm not sure if I'm explaining what I mean.

If I create a custom error page, somehow my web browser needs to know where this page is and how to look it up, right? (Remember, I'm talking about off-line browsing without a server). So I can't find where the 404 error page is that a browser uses when it is offline.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:52 PM

ErrorDocument 404 /404.html

Hi my name is christian and i am a webmaster. first create a file and name it .htaccess then put this code inside it:

ErrorDocument 404 /404.html

next you will need to create a file and name it 404.html you will then embed this redirect code in it.

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript"><!--
setTimeout('Redirect()',1);
function Redirect()
{
location.href = 'http://www.yourwebsitename.com';
}
// --></script>

Basically you have told the server that any bad links should just goto the 404.html page. then the 404.html page will then redirect them to the home page. essentially this is a double redirect and the reasoning is that if you redirect straight to the home page the client will still see the bad url in the address bar and this method cleanses the bar more or less you can view it here on my site just goto http://www.hotrockhosting.com/whatev...t-to-type-here and you will see that eventualy you will be redirected to the home page.... hope this helps cuz it was a pain in my a$$ to figure out hahahahahha lol ps upload the 404.html and the .htaccess file into your website root (public_html) folder. also not sure if will work with site builders like yahoo and godaddy, but it works for raw websites. any questions email me webdesignerchristianatgmaildotcom

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby > Web Usability

Closed Thread