Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby > Web Usability

Web Usability Discuss and review websites for better usability.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 09-05-2007, 01:39 PM

Amazon's log-off button

Hi lads

A small question about Web Usability:

Amazon.com does not have a link to log out.

As a user, I found this quite annoying and it took me a while to found the way to do it*

As a Multimedia Design student, I can't understand why Amazon decides not to have a simple way to log out from its website. It doesn't make much sense to me.

Does anybody have a logic explanation to this?

Thanks,
Antonio

* From Amazon FAQs: To log out, click the Welcome tab at the top of the page. Below the row of tabs you’ll see a short greeting. Click the “If you’re not [your name] click here” link. Your personal information is removed from the computer. If you click the Welcome tab again, you’ll see the greeting is no longer personalised.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

http://amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/di...&nodeId=918808

Exactly what your small text indicates. Isn't that enough..?
laurakishimoto.ca

Old 09-06-2007, 03:17 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

They have a system in which they don't want you to think about it until they need to confirm your password to be sure it is you. Unfortunately it leaves your current status a bit vague as the top line on the right looks the same either way.

Yes it does say "Hello, Mr Smith. We have recommendations for you. (If you're not Mr Smith, click here.)" for example in the middle just under the search box - but this is away form the account links (top right corner) and it is not shown on product detail pages or when browsing categories.

In my opinion user's have every right to feel confused.

The top-right account links section should provide clear information on your logged in/out status and a link to logout without going through an extra page.
Logout function actually requires you to click 'Your Account' which when logging out feels like going in the wrong direction. When you get to a page saying "hello Mr Smith" the way to logout is still not clear - you have to pay attention to a sentence not directed at you (!) ("If you are not Mr Smith...") and finally the logout link text is "click here" !!!!!! That's 3 black marks for Amazon in my book! (excuse the pun )

-LJ-

My advice is to look at each case individually, with an informed mind and an appropriately balanced and objective viewpoint.

Web Design and Development, Ipswich, UK.
My deviantArt

Old 09-06-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicgeek View Post
(...) Exactly what your small text indicates. Isn't that enough..?
Enough??? But... the question is not if it is enough or not, but whether it is too much or it is not too much.
In my opinion, it is too much: I mean that it is a lot more intuitive to have a "Log Out" link at the right top corner (e.g. this website) than having a "If you're not ..., click here" link to have to log off.

I've used Amazon for a "while" and I'm familiar with this issue, but that doesn't mean that those who register now with Amazon for the first time are going to find "If you're not ..., click here" intuitive enough.

Then again, this is just the opinion of... me, a semi-ignorant in Web Usability, compared to you guys, the experts, and that's why I wanted to ask you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyJim View Post
(...) In my opinion user's have every right to feel confused. (...) The top-right account links section should provide clear information on your logged in/out status and a link to logout without going through an extra page. (...) That's 3 black marks for Amazon in my book!
I agree, LazyJim - you explained the whole thing really well.

Thanks to you two for the efficiency in answering my question
Take care, lads

Old 09-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

what a funny situation! I never needed to log out because I surf Amazon.com from home, but now, when I think of people who, let's imagine, might have to quickly order a couple of books from the office and then to log out. It may become quite a mess. Interesting issue you pointed over here, watchinYou.

I have two correction though:

1) The page, to which brings you the link "If you're not..." doesn't contain link text "click here" for logging out, as claimed LazyJim. There is a link "Forgot your password? Click here", but not "to log out". At least, I couldn't find it. Maybe the assumption is that I get both text fields cleared, but they aren't.
2) This whole line is located there on the Home page only.

It must have be done on purpose, because I think that Amazon are very good at usability. Both - user experience and GUI.

Is there any chance it is a omission that we're talking about?

Old 09-13-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jul View Post
(...) It must have be done on purpose, because I think that Amazon are very good at usability. Both - user experience and GUI.

Is there any chance it is a omission that we're talking about?
Hi! That's exactly what I thought: an omission on purpose. What I wanted to know is the "technical" reason behind that omission, and that's why I turned to the nice and commited geeks of this forum who are always willing to answer and help people online

Regards!
Saludos!
Mvh!

Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Very few companies besides Amazon.com could get away with doing this without annoying a majority of their user base. However, Amazon.com has built up so much trust that they don't have to follow anyone's rules except the ones that make them the most money (and I bet not letting log people out easily was tested a great deal to see if it was making big bucks or not).

Old 09-30-2007, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeg007 View Post
Very few companies besides Amazon.com could get away with doing this without annoying a majority of their user base. However, Amazon.com has built up so much trust that they don't have to follow anyone's rules except the ones that make them the most money (and I bet not letting log people out easily was tested a great deal to see if it was making big bucks or not).
Hello schmeg007
You are right, Amazon has built up much trust...
....but ... mmmmmm......
I'm not sure if they will always get away with it in this particular issue...
...'cause I remember that the first time I used Amazon and I wanted to log off and I couldn't see any log-off button around, I got very very very annoyed and frustrated with the site I was using.
Fortunately for Amazon (I have bought some books since then from them), that frustration wasn't enought to stop me from using their site again and leaving them for a competitor. I wonder if others have given up because of the Amazon "missing-in-action" log off button and have abandoned this site for good.

Cheerio

Old 07-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

The lack of a logoff is really irritating.

I'm pleased to say that I've not found Amazon's offerings persuasive enough to try anyway!

Old 07-28-2008, 12:13 AM

They still have much cheaper books than in bookshops, at least here in Europe

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby > Web Usability