Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 12-07-2008, 06:15 AM
v7n Mentor

Thoughts on donations

This thread: http://www.v7n.com/forums/forum-lobb...s-so-good.html

kind of got me thinking. I have been thinking about running a donations campaign on one of my sites but I have a lot of reservations.

First, my favorite NY Giants football site, which has to make the owner a fortune runs a donation campaign every year. Every year he says he'll stop running the site if people don't donate enough. He never says how much he needs to keep the site going and most people don't seem to realize that he is full of **** - that not even a moron would shut down a site that makes 50 grand (my guess) a year in advertising revenue alone.

I suppose if I said that my goal was to raise 5 grand, 2 grand to cover my hosting expenses, 1500 to buy content, and 1500 to advertise... Then I'd feel like I was mostly being honest. But I'd still feel weird because the site already makes me more than enough money to keep running it.

The other option would be to just stick a paypal donation thing or an Amazon wishlist thing on the sidebar and see what happens.

So anyone have any ideas on starting a donations thing? whether it's a good idea or bad idea? If it's a good idea how to implement it?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

i'd base the first campaign on what you think would be easy for your users to give you, rather than what you need. if 10% of your users gave you $10, would that get you to $5000? if so, then ask for it. But if you've only got 1000 users it's unrealistic to think they'll all pitch in. I agree that a fundraising goal is very important, but if people see one that looks way out of reach for the community, they won't take it seriously.

don't run a donation campaign in December unless you're a non-profit. people are already seeing ads everywhere and reading news about hungry families whose houses just burned down or whatever... if they see you asking for donations, they'll remember that they do have money to donate, but to someone else.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:20 PM
v7n Mentor

This is one of the reasons I hesitate - I don't actually need anything. Is it wrong to ask for donations when the site is already pretty profitable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefem View Post
i'd base the first campaign on what you think would be easy for your users to give you, rather than what you need.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:57 PM

I wouldn't use a hard sale and say something like the site will close down if you don't pay...it just doesn't sit well.

If you honestly felt that you could offer an amazing service full of value for your readers, then you could make a down to earth post, stating your desire, how it will bring value to them and ask them to contribute if they feel inclined. You could even have a meter of some sort in the sidebar so that they can track the progress.

I've seen lots of sites use this soft sell and it seems to work. Personally, I'm not a big fan of this route either.

I've seen a few other sites use a WP plugin that is like a tip jar..."buy me a beer". Some sites do very ...and I mean very well with this plugin. You might want to try this and see how you do with it.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:57 PM
v7n Mentor

After giving this some thought I think I might do something like this. A few years ago I ran a travel plan writing contest on the blog where I gave out $1,000 in prizes. I wonder if I can get people to donate that prize money instead of having it come out of my pocket. I think I'm gonna try it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coated View Post
I wouldn't use a hard sale and say something like the site will close down if you don't pay...it just doesn't sit well.

If you honestly felt that you could offer an amazing service full of value for your readers, then you could make a down to earth post, stating your desire, how it will bring value to them and ask them to contribute if they feel inclined. You could even have a meter of some sort in the sidebar so that they can track the progress.

I've seen lots of sites use this soft sell and it seems to work. Personally, I'm not a big fan of this route either.

I've seen a few other sites use a WP plugin that is like a tip jar..."buy me a beer". Some sites do very ...and I mean very well with this plugin. You might want to try this and see how you do with it.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue